“PuP-Packs ON TOP!” (How to Use PuP-Packs with VPX, FP, FX3 and more on a single Screen Desktop view)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Wizball
    Participant
      @wizball

I created a PuP-pack for my Watchmen table, which also creates everything in the script, and has problems in desktop mode: The overlays will show on top, but the video will not. Just HOW should I “mess around” with the script? In which ways should I “update it properly”? You point out how things are done wrong, but give no help to what the right way is.

TerryRed
        @terryred
        MemberContributorModerator

I created a PuP-pack for my Watchmen table, which also creates everything in the script, and has problems in desktop mode: The overlays will show on top, but the video will not. Just HOW should I “mess around” with the script? In which ways should I “update it properly”? You point out how things are done wrong, but give no help to what the right way is.

Perhaps its because I’m in extreme abdominal pain and just threw up 3 times and it’s hard to type and focus.

To put it simply… for any original vpx table… you should not be setting up your pupscreens, their resolution, their positions…playlists…or anything else like that in the table script (the very old way of doing things before pup-packs were created). By doing it that way you don’t get to use any of the features that you get with pup-packs using the PuP-Pack Editor. It’s also the reason why PuP-Packs on Top won’t be helpful… hence the name “PUP-PACKS” on Top.

You also can’t use custom pinupplayer.ini files (to change your pup display positions and size per table) without a proper pup-pack.

PuP-Packs and the pup-pack editor allow for extra options to ForceOn or ForcePop any pup screen to keep those screens on top. You don’t get this capability using pup commands in table script. You setup your playlists, screens…everything in the pup-pack.

The proper way “today” is to use a pup-pack and have the pup-pack initialized from script. Either by the B2S driver doing it (which many VPX tables already do)…. or by using commands to do that directly. Then for triggering your videos from the pup-pack you can use dof commands like I did with jaws or motu:

dof 123, dofpulse

Then in the pup-pack use the trigger Exxx that matches the dof commands you used in the table…and do everything for your triggered media there.

…or you can use commands that will trigger the pup-pack directly instead of using dof commands. TNA is an example.

Then if you want to use pupdmd for text and score… then you would use the pupdmd framework as a start for doing that portion.

Use TNA as an example.

This is all I can do…as I’m in a lot of pain right now.

I also don’t want this thread being used for an entire pup support thread. This post is for PuP-Packs on Top. If using a pup-pack… all the details to try to get it to work on desktop running VPX in Borderless Windowed is all there.

Wizball
        Participant
          @wizball

Perhaps its because I’m in extreme abdominal pain and just threw up 3 times and it’s hard to type and focus.

That sucks to hear. Hope you get better soon.

To put it simply… for any original vpx table… you should not be setting up your pupscreens, their resolution, their positions…or anything else like that in the table script (the very old way of doing things before pup-packs were created). By doing it that way you don’t get to use any of the features that you get with pup-packs using the PuP-Pack Editor. It’s also the reason why PuP-Packs on Top won’t be helpful… hence the name “PUP-PACKS” on Top.

Thank you for explaining this. The current version of Watchmen has media that goes into a subfolder in PUPVideos, and I did not make the distinction between that and what you refer to as a PUP-Pack.

I also don’t want this thread being used for an entire pup support thread. This post is for PuP-Packs on Top.

I am trying to get the media pack for my Watchmen table to display on, top, and did notknow that doing setup in the script makes it not a PuP-pack.

TNT2
          Participant
            @tnt2

Finally got this working. The Nailbuster tutorial was very helpful.

A couple of things from my own experience. This is also mentioned in the tutorial but make sure the zip file is unblocked. Mine wasn’t. Also make sure your anti-virus is disabled. I think that’s why I couldn’t get it working last time.

TNT2
            Participant
              @tnt2

One question Terry. You mentioned in the guide to only install the 32-bit version. Just out of curiosity why is there a 64-bit version available for download?

Thanks for all of your hard work.

TerryRed
                @terryred

One question Terry. You mentioned in the guide to only install the 32-bit version. Just out of curiosity why is there a 64-bit version available for download?

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Of….what?

If you mean dmdext / freezy files….

The 64bit dmdext.exe file is used by Timeshock.  That’s the only program the needs anything from the 64bit files. FX3 however needs the 32bit dmdext.exe, and everything else uses the other 32bit files as well.

Installing only the 32bit version removes confusion and problems. If you run Timeshock…then use the 64 bit files in another folder….not in VPinMAME.

TNT2
                Participant
                  @tnt2

Oh. Yeah. Sorry. I was referring to dmdext/freezy.

Thanks.

Tonarede
                  Participant
                    @tonarede

How to rotate the wheel apron in pinup popper frontend for desktop one screen ?

see pic

TerryRed
                      @terryred

How to rotate the wheel apron in pinup popper frontend for desktop one screen ?

see pic

You use the correct theme. There are Desktop specific themes for Popper.

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/t-arc-and-t-bar-desktop-themes-for-pinup-popper/

Gramps
                      Participant
                        @gramps

Hi Terry,

Watching the video for single screen desktop,  in the section where you were describing “pupinit_FP_desktop_only_1.2” you opened it and I notice that the file you were looking at on the line: start “” pupwinpos.exe “PUPSCREEN*” 0 1 0, your had 0 1 0. . If I open the the file I downloaded it has 0 3 0.  Why the difference?  And could you elaborate on what all those numbers mean?  I didn’t understand.  Thanks.

Gramps
                        Participant
                          @gramps

I don’t know why I just don’t let those tables go that I can’t get to run right and just go on.  I usually end up screwing the whole thing up and have to start over.  Good exercise thought because I learn something new every time.

In your instructions you said that to run pup packs for FP tables, use borderless window and gave links to some of them.  I choose the first one – Borderless Gaming.  What application file do I enter under applications….fploader?

Thanks

TerryRed
                            @terryred

I don’t know why I just don’t let those tables go that I can’t get to run right and just go on. I usually end up screwing the whole thing up and have to start over. Good exercise thought because I learn something new every time.

In your instructions you said that to run pup packs for FP tables, use borderless window and gave links to some of them. I choose the first one – Borderless Gaming. What application file do I enter under applications….fploader?

Thanks

All the info for that is in the FP Mega Guide.

That said… for FP “PinEvent” tables… you are MUCH better off using a dummy plug monitor (or connect your video card to a spare input of your monitor to act as a dummy monitor) and displaying the pup-pack on the dummy display…and then the pup-pack can be streamed into FP itself directly “in-game”and displayed in many places (this is the PinEvent PUPStream feature). This allows FP to run in fullscreen and all the pup-packs just work and display perfectly! FP runs much better in fullscreen than in Borderless Windowed! No need for pup-packs on top or pupinit.bat files (don’t use those if using pup-pstream)

More info on the PinEvent install guide.

https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/pinevent-dof-mx-pup-ssf-pupdmd-for-future-pinball/#post-171545

…and a video showing what I’m talking about.

Pinbolt
                            Participant
                              @pinbolt

Thank you so much TerryRed. I make something wrong. The table is in front but all the PuP are not seen.

I think I use all the help from your fantastic guide but I must be blind.

Help me please Terry.

regards

Pinbolt

GotG2GotG1

Gramps
                              Participant
                                @gramps
                                This reply has been marked as private.
                                TerryRed
                                  @terryred

When I give an answer that “it’s covered in the FP and BAM guide or FAQ”… or “it’s covered in the PinEvent Install Guide or FAQ”…. it’s because I’m also not a mind reader.

I have no idea what people have actually read or done. Much of the time… respectfully… some people can be lazy (not you), and just “want it to work” and want someone else to do all the work for them.

The point of me doing guides or videos is so I don’t need to keep answering the same question again and again, and so people have a place to start. Putting up a guide or video isn’t an invite to a 24/7 help line… and some people actually think that.

When I tell someone where the answer is, or give them a resource (which is better than 95% of the rest of this hobby which has NO videos or help guides)… it’s because there is only so much time in the day, and needing to type up the same answer over and over but in a different way… gets tiring, or I simply don’t have the time. So I give the answer I “can” give at that time. I don’t have everything memorized and need to consult my own guides too ya know, haha!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                  TerryRed
                                    @terryred

I didn’t realize I didn’t add an update about PinEvent and PuP Stream options, so here you go….also added to PPOT install instructions.

UPDATE: Future Pinball, PinEvent PuP-Packs and PuP Stream (no need for PuP-Packs on Top with FP and single screen desktop)

• recent updates to BAM has allowed for a MUCH better solution to display PinEvent pup-packs on a single screen desktop
                                    • this works by displaying the pup-pack on a dummy plug monitor dongle (or spare input of your monitor) and using PUPStream
                                    • how it works is the BAM pup plug-in (made by @DJRobX and @ravarcade) can stream the pup-pack directly into FP itself!
                                    • this means that FP can run in Fullscreen and you can see the pup-pack on the desktop HUD, the apron, the playfield, the backbox in-game and in VR!
                                    • since FP can run in Fullscreen, this means better fps, no hassles or need for PuP-Packs on Top or pupinit.bat files!

There are also better methods of allowing PinEvent PuP-Packs to be displayed on a cabinet Backglass monitor without needing PPOT.

Consult the PinEvent Install Guide for more information on PinEvent and PUP Stream (highly recommended!)

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/pinevent-dof-mx-pup-ssf-pupdmd-pup-stream-for-future-pinball/

https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/pinevent-dof-mx-pup-ssf-pupdmd-for-future-pinball/#post-171545

…and here’s a video demo of PUP Stream in action with my FP PinEvent.

Before anyone asks…. NO you can’t have this with VPX. It’s not capable of doing this.

Gramps
                                    Participant
                                      @gramps

Looking forward to reading and implementing the updates Terry.  Sounds really great!

Luger81
                                      Participant
                                        @luger81

No matter what I do or change, the pup videos (background, topper, DMD) always go to the back of VP. I’m not sure how to fix this on GOTG. Single screen setup.

TerryRed
                                          @terryred

No matter what I do or change, the pup videos (background, topper, DMD) always go to the back of VP. I’m not sure how to fix this on GOTG. Single screen setup.

Nothing unusual about this table this isn’t covered in the PPOT install instructions to get it to work on a singel screen desktop.

• setup VPX to run in Borderless Windowed
                                          • setup your FullDMD pup display at a 16:9 ratio in the top corner
                                          • copy the vp pupinit.bat that matches your needs (front-end or none….it matters) into the gotg pup-pack folder
                                          • use the Option 2 FullDMD BAT
                                          • edit the pup-pack
                                          • change screen 5 to ForceOn
                                          • change screen 12 and 13 to ForcePop
                                          • change screen 2 to OFF
                                          • save pup-pack

DO NOT enable the Backglass (pupscreen 2) as that will cause the pup-pack to not stay on top! There is no need for it with this table.

Here’s how I have it working on desktop single screen:

gotg pup desktop

Run the table. Wait patiently! The pup-pack may get pushed back behind the VPX window. If you wait, it “should” appear on top on it’s own. If not try starting a game, and then the pup FullDMD should pop on top like I show in this pic.

gotg desktop

Re-adjust the FullDMD size and position so it works best for you if needed…but you MUST have it at a 16:9 ratio! There is a button to do this for you when positioning / sizing it.

Don’t click into the VPX Window or alt-tab,etc If the pup-pack isn’t on top on its own…then you have done something wrong or have an incorrect VPX setting,etc.

I’m sure there may be imperfections (layering, timing,etc) with the pup-pack using it this way…but it seems to be working well.

@daphishbowl
                                          (or someone else who is married to this pup-pack and knows it very well) would need to confirm if there are any limitations or problems with any part of the pup-pack while using it this way.

Enjoy.

Nightsky
                                          Participant
                                            @nightsky

Im having an issue. It says windows cannot find “pupwinpos.exe’. make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

pupwinpos.exe is set to run as admin and is in the same folder as pinupplayer.exe

Note I have my PinUPSystem folder and install in my e drive. So if its searching my c drive for the pupwinpos it wont find it there.

pretty sure if I can get this error fixed I will have everything working.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 66 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?