Pup Packs Video Stutter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PixelJunkie
    Participant
      @pixeljunkie

Hi, I am in the process of setting up a mid-size cabinet (3 screens) and am wondering if any of you experience similar situations with some Pup Packs in VPX as I am.  When I run Pup Packs with Jaws, BTTF, Flinstones, and POTC, the backglass videos stutter and are pixelated.  The playfield table runs smooth.  For regular backglass tables that I have setup, I have no problems.  I assume it is a video setting or something that I don’t have configured correctly.

This is my setup and I think the hardware is capable for what I am trying to do:

• AMD Ryzen 3600
      • Nvidia 1660 Super
      • 16 GB Ram 3600 DDR4
      • Tables running off of NVME drive

Playfield Monitor:  27″ 1920×1080 gaming monitor 144hz w/ Freesync (variable refresh rate)

Backglass:  19″ 1366×768 monitor @ 60hz

I can correct the stutter on these tables by forcing the playfield to run at 1920×1080 60hz (vs 144ghz) in exclusive fullscreen mode and setting VSync to 1, but then it forces the playfield to operate at 60 fps, which isn’t as smooth as when it runs at the higher refresh rate of 144hz.

Is there a way to specify at a table level to only run these specific tables at 60hz (to remove the backglass stutter on some of the pup pack tables) and run other tables at 144hz?  When I install PinUp Popper, will it allow me to control that?  I’m running tables directly in VPX for now, as I want to make sure I have them setup and working before installing a frontend.

The only other thing I noticed too is that I don’t have the stutter on Harry Potter and Stranger Things, which runs fine at 144hz on the playfield.

defre1976
      Participant
        @defre1976

Hi, did you solve this problem.

I have exact same problem with harry potter, video stuttering and glitchy.

When i go to the pup pack folder and play the video there . No stuttering. Video plays perfect.

Table plays fine, but not video on the backglass.

PixelJunkie
        Participant
          @pixeljunkie

Updated (SOLVED): I finally got my playfield stable @ 144Hz with G-sync on and the backglass stable to play puppack videos or regular backglass.  It took 3 steps, and until I did step 3, I only saw marginal improvements…

1. Disabled Windows Defender completely in Group Policy (it was turned off in Group Policy, so no scans were running, but I did not explicitly disable Real-Time monitoring).  So I don’t know if something was still monitoring running processes in the background.
          2. Updated to Windows 10 2004 20H1 (I had previously disabled Windows Updates).  Microsoft addressed a bug somewhat related to this issue.  More info here:  https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windows-10-2004-20H1-finally-gets-multi-monitor-refresh-rates-right.454143.0.html
          3. Disabled Brute-force 4x SSAA in VPX

Honestly, turning off Brute-force 4x SSAA made the most dramatic impact on reducing stutter of videos on PupPacks and microstutter on the playfield that I was occasionally seeing.  I wish I had started with that first.  The other two steps may not be necessary… so if you have a similar problem… maybe start with Step 3 (if it applies) and then check 1, then 2.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————-

I kind of solved the problem.  I turned off G-sync on my Nvidia graphics card and turned on Vsync in the Nvidia control panel.

Then I set VPX to run in exclusive full screen, and set the refresh rate to be locked at 60Hz.

I’d love to run non PupPack tables at 144hz, and run these Pup Pack tables at 60Hz, but I haven’t found a way to switch resolutions via Popper at launch.  So for now, I just run everything at 60Hz, and for the most part everything is smooth.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?