*SOLVED* PUPDMD issues

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    austinwilli
    Participant
      @austinwilli

Thank you Nailbuster and Terry for all of your awesome work.

I am unable to get pupdmd to work in popper.

Win 10 Pro – I7/16G/2060 M2 SSD

I have reloaded windows and followed pup/popper tutorials. I was able to get this working on a prior system (different hardware and win 10 home) without issue.

I have a pindmd2 device (real DMD).

It works in VPX, Ultra/Flex, DMDext.  I have it working in FX3 and VPX pup packs.  I am unable to get the real dmd to function in the front end. When I launch a table from popper my DMD works – when I exit back to popper the dmd stays persistent with the last image on the table. (global config script realdmd true,etc.) DOF is working in popper just not the dmd.

Pinup doctor:   launch it and the real dmd goes solid orange – when stopping the test dmd in doctor i get “rpc server is unavailable”  When I watch the pupdmd service in task manager – it launches and then kills itself in 2 -3 seconds. happens whether I run pupdmdexe as admin or not.

Things I have tried:

1. reloaded win 10 pro fresh/reloaded vpx,pup,popper per guides
      2. using 1.8 dll’d from freezy
      3. run all register bats as admin
      4. not running any executables as admin
      5. reduced UAC
      6. disabled UAC in registry
      7. checked paths against a prior working install – everything is in place
      8. using lib-usb-win32 for the dmd – had to force driver

Please help…….   (also tried praying, screaming – crying is next.)

Thank you in advance.

NailBuster
        @nailbuster
        ModeratorMember

only suggestion is to modify your dmddevice.ini and set all the realdmd sections to disable (false). then set virtual to enabled(true) in the ini.

now run popper doctor and test realmirror…. you may have to alt-tab and see if freezy virtual dmd works.

if it does, then all the software side of things are OK…its a hardware

if it doesn’t,  it always ends up being a windows/security or simple wrong setup/config.

zapper
        Participant
          @zapper

Did I read something about not running the Popper Registry executables as admin?

Shadow
          Participant
            @shadowshd

Things I have tried:

• 8. using lib-usb-win32 for the dmd – had to force driver

My Pin2DMD uses WinUSB driver version 6.xx (can’t remember exactly the sub version), maybe you could give a try ?

austinwilli
            Participant
              @austinwilli

I tried that driver – doesn’t work for pindmd v2 –

austinwilli
              Participant
                @austinwilli

Nailbuster,

I did as you proposed:   altered ini and ran doctor. The pupdmd.exe works and doesn’t kill itself in that mode. (I see the virtual dmd). So the software is setup properly (registry, etc.)

So now I am working on the driver pindmd v2 side of things – as you suggested it would be hardware. What has me lost is that in VP,FX3, other front ends, and ultra tables the real DMD works- Just not popper with pupdmd.

When I have the ini configured for pindmd2=true – the exe kills itself and throws an app error for the exe in Windows event viewer – also throws a companion netframe error (my win 10 has the latest updates) – I am getting the rpc error in doctor only because the pupdmdexe has already died.

the event viewer is similar to this:

Faulting application path: C:\VISUAL~1\VPinMAME\PUPDMD~1.EXE
                Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll

Any other ideas? Is there a way to set up an alternative way of driving the dmd from popper?

Thank you!

NailBuster
                  @nailbuster
                  ModeratorMember

pupdmd is not a .net app so that error is outside of it.  someone just recently posted that they had a similar issue and ran windows .net repair utility to get it working.

pupdmd used dmddevice.dll only… it doesn’t know if you’re using virtual or realdmd it passes frames always the same, up to the freezy to handle/work with the frames to the hardware.

austinwilli
                  Participant
                    @austinwilli

Net repair tool worked! Fingers crossed it is resolved. Very odd that microsoft net fix would be required on a new load.

Thank you very much!

TerryRed
                      @terryred
                      MemberContributorModerator

Net repair tool worked! Fingers crossed it is resolved. Very odd that microsoft net fix would be required on a new load.

Thank you very much!

It’s actually very common. I have to deal with as as well with Visual C++ for FP-BAM stuff as well, since many people don’t have that update on new Win 10 installs.

mmattner
                      Participant
                        @mmattner

Hi all. I’ve been experiencing this same problem today and its been doing my head in. I stumbled across this thread and founds all the steps listed failed.
                        Using a PIN2DMD – all DmdDevice.ini settings correct.
                        I used Popper Doctor to diagnose, after running ‘dmdext test -d auto’ was successful.

Pressing Start DMD was throwing an error to the event log as listed above, but I also found that then pressing Stop DMD was resulting in an error dialog “The RPC server is unavailable”

I have however now resolved it, and thought this info may help others – it required me to uninstall my Freezy 1.8 and revert to 1.7.1. As soon as I did that and restarted things work fine. Flicking back and forth between the two versions showed things work under 1.7.1 but we get constant fails under 1.8.

EDIT – it appears I spoke to soon, the issue isnt related to 1.7.1 or 1.8, the issue is occuring if I dont also have virtualdmd set to enabled in the DmdDevice.ini file ……. so enabling it and settings it to 0x0 in size works, but disabling it triggers the error.

xAerox
                        Participant
                          @xaerox

the issue is occuring if I dont also have virtualdmd set to enabled in the DmdDevice.ini file ……. so enabling it and settings it to 0x0 in size works, but disabling it triggers the error.

Confirming I also recently started experiencing this same issue with the only fix being to enable virtualdmd w/ a 0x0 size.  Is there any insight as to why this could be just now occurring?

movieguy
                          Participant
                            @movieguy

I am also experiencing the same issue with a PIN2DMD using Freezy 1.8.  I have my DMD working perfectly in VPX and when running a test via DMDEXT, but when trying to use pupdmd (either pup packs or pinup popper) the DMD is not functioning.  If I enable the virtual DMD, everything works fine – including the PIN2DMD.

When using Popper Doctor to diagnose, I have the exact same issue described above – Pressing Start DMD results in an error to the event log as discussed and pressing Stop DMD results in an error dialog “The RPC server is unavailable”.  I have tried the .net repair tool, but that hasn’t helped.  This one is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

movieguy
                            Participant
                              @movieguy

Just as a quick follow up on this – if it helps anyone else.  I was able to solve this issue by rolling back a .net update that was installed on my Windows PC.  If I use Windows update and install the update:

2021-KB4601050 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 2004, Windows Server, version 2004, Windows 10, version 20H2, and Windows Server, version 20H2

I experience the issue.  If I roll back an uninstall it the issue disappears.  I have tried the .net repair tool after this update installs and it doesnt seem the change when KB4601050 is installed the PUPDMD will not function.  All other functions of the Freezy DmdDevice.dll work fine (VPINMAME with color).  I can also run the test on DMDEXT and get the DMD to work fine.  Its only some kind of strange interplay between .net, Freezy, and DMDDEVICEPUP .

For the record I am running the latest versions of all software:

Freezy 1.8

Pinup Player 1.45

VPINMAME 3.3

outhere
                                @outhere
                                MemberContributorvipModerator

Just as a quick follow up on this – if it helps anyone else. I was able to solve this issue by rolling back a .net update that was installed on my Windows PC. If I use Windows update and install the update:
                                2021-KB4601050 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 2004, Windows Server, version 2004, Windows 10, version 20H2, and Windows Server, version 20H2
                                I experience the issue. If I roll back an uninstall it the issue disappears. I have tried the .net repair tool after this update installs and it doesnt seem the change when KB4601050 is installed the PUPDMD will not function. All other functions of the Freezy DmdDevice.dll work fine (VPINMAME with color). I can also run the test on DMDEXT and get the DMD to work fine. Its only some kind of strange interplay between .net, Freezy, and DMDDEVICEPUP .
                                For the record I am running the latest versions of all software:
                                Freezy 1.8
                                Pinup Player 1.45
                                VPINMAME 3.3

I also run a pin2DMD with PUPDMD and don’t have the issue you’re having but I have the same files

movieguy
                                Participant
                                  @movieguy

Thanks for the response, outhere. I know that these issues can be a bit temperamental, so I am not sure what I can do to isolate the problem or other things I can try.  I am still learning about this hobby and have been stuck on multiple obstacles along the way, but so far have found solutions via the forums or working through the issues myself.  This one has had me stumped for a awhile and I am at a point where I’m not sure what else I can do.  It’s not a huge deal because I can leave the windows update from installing, but I would like to understand what’s going on if I can.  While it sounds like I am not the only one experiencing this issue, it doesn’t sound like it is affecting many people.  What’s strange is I have just set this machine up from scratch and after installing windows and device drivers I have only installed VPX (and supporting software), DOF, and Pinup popper. I would think its a pretty vanilla setup.

outhere
                                    @outhere
                                    MemberContributorvipModerator

I’m on firmware version 3.17 and driver

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                    movieguy
                                    Participant
                                      @movieguy

Thanks.  I am running the same version of the USB driver for the pin2dmd.  I also tried installing all of the options under .net in the windows 10 feature add/remove, but that didn’t make any difference (as opposed to the default).  I went into event viewer and pulled out the specific error I am seeing:

Faulting application name: PUPDMD~1.EXE, version: 1.40.4.0, time stamp: 0x5d9ba3ec
                                      Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.4300.0, time stamp: 0x5f7e61bb
                                      Exception code: 0xc00000fd

PUPDMD~1.EXE

5d9ba3ec

clr.dll

5f7e61bb

c00000fd

004d4e0a

1b1c

01d702252e0ee728

C:\Pinball\VISUAL~1\VPinMAME\PUPDMD~1.EXE

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll

7a247ec4-8ecb-494a-8c6a-da3f4ac24736

movieguy
                                      Participant
                                        @movieguy

Outhere, you were right and it just took me a couple of days to figure it out.  I switched back to an older version of Lucky’s dmddevice.dll that matched my PIN2DMD firmware (3.10) and sure enough everything works.  The only issue I have now is I cant use a virtual DMD with Lucky’s driver (for Sega 192×64 DMDs).

I think my next step will be updating the firmware of the PIN2DMD and see if I can move back to Freezy’s dlls.  I am a little nervous about that because I haven’t done that process yet.  It will just be another first for my virtual pinball experience.

Thanks for your help and support.  I am really enjoying the VP experience and have learned a lot over the last couple of months .  I have been using a Mac for the last several years, so it has really brought me back to playing with Windows.  The interactions to make a seamless VP experience is amazing and its like a Rube Golberg machine – so many moving pieces that all come together.  The talent and work in the community is really staggering.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by movieguy.
                                      Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?