Recognizer – My first Pincab build

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    MydknyteStyrm
    Participant
      @mydknytestyrm

Hi everyone! I’d like to share my build in progress, which I have affectionately titled The Recognizer. A recognizer is a guardian in the Tron canon, Which has multiple uses in both Tron films. My arcade cabinet I call The MCP, but that’s another thread.

Specs:

i7 9600

GeForce RTX 2060

42” Samsung 4K playfield

1080 Backglass and third DMD monitor

running VPX at the moment

Testing out T2 with Pup Pack

9C85E08D-DA74-46A8-9D93-55B7540E0466

First parts together – the cabinet

78DB8467-DADE-49E5-9460-C91B5135C3E9

For the playfield glass I will edge it with the guides from PinballLife. I cut off the F tab and routered the edge of the sidewalls so the glass will sit in the wall instead of on top.

DE8FD138-F2B6-4800-B21A-1B341C1F700A

The backbox taking shape.

0A17797C-9B8B-48CE-84B4-C714B7446FD3

The routered edge of the sidewall and a t molding groove cut in

13B8AF79-6EDB-4D3A-BFD6-30F91614D4E0

Test fitting all pieces so far

7CEF5092-D2C6-44A5-90FD-B348FFDF291F

Back of playfield glass will sit in rabbet bar  behind that is the hole to make space for my blower fan

0F7B77C4-DE8E-4326-AA93-E166FB96573B

Test fitting of playfield monitor

731B972E-D3E9-4F29-9C48-F726BE5B37AE

test fitting of backbox monitors

B84BFC4F-856D-49BB-8346-4D5E2B2E4B572A783F4C-8B50-44AF-987F-F7B391C4D9D0

The Backglass monitor is mounted from above and positioned with a resistance bar on the bottom

0F33FAF4-753D-4AE0-8C61-0F6BD9C4C252

The legs came in from PinballLife and I couldn’t be more happy with them!

00ADE574-877E-49B9-9261-54AED27F28C0

The mount for the playfield. Can extend, rotate and pivot.

CB9661CC-0AF6-4F1A-B93E-6CB7E1DCD237

Primed the MDF with matte white

0D343A02-265B-411F-9B98-E21656638D7F

Painted with Rustoleum Gloss Black

20F3E20F-3C69-4322-82DC-D15BD188C590133675A0-E321-41B6-A064-3A71B6E2157B

Blower fan install. Fan is situated below backbox and the 90 degree bend is part of a flat plastic gutter downspout. The air blasts out right at the player from underneath the DMD instead of on top of the backbox

Lined blower channel with foil tape and will add strobe lights and a grill to it.

244D8AEF-4FD5-431C-9FE2-4175F3CD451F

Test fit side rails and lockdown bar after spraying them gloss red.

DB33E591-032F-40D1-AF0A-968C32A78156

Speaker grill rings sprayed red

F97D3D00-87B4-40C2-9CEC-C81CB9F2A796

FC756CCF-E643-41DB-80D9-ABB24F0D4F68

1 user thanked author for this post.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Very nice build! Congrats. What’s next? Dof? You know your never “finished”

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Nah. Go for SSF first and foremost ;-)   ( It’s just me poking @randr )

Looks very nice – good job so far.

Gwen
          Participant
            @gwen

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. =)

Gwen
            - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

xenonph
            Participant
              @xenonph
              MemberContributor

Looking great!!

Can’t wait to see the Tron art!! (One of my favorite scifi movies!!)

Carry on.

MydknyteStyrm
              Participant
                @mydknytestyrm

Thanks everyone for the comments! More pics to come. Right now I’m working on wiring the toys.

MydknyteStyrm
                Participant
                  @mydknytestyrm

6EFC4FF5-9CC9-4EAC-92AD-E9448EAB37AD

Backglass coming together nicely

D231B896-376E-43D6-B26F-C08F5CB8D42F

Spent most of the morning wiring up the LEDWiz and Sainsmart Relays

35A6E03F-D992-4389-B301-134460376FB5

Power supply wiring and dispersal

Gwen
                  Participant
                    @gwen

When I first started my cab building I was going to use a Space Paranoids theme.  I drew some original art for it using adobe illustrator.  If you are interested I would be happy to let you use it for your cab.  You can modify it if you like.

Here’s an example:

Gwen

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    LynnInDenver
                    Participant
                      @lynnindenver

Nice, doing the full size PostDMD style LCD mounting? It does seem to be a way to “future proof” a cabinet now that it’s clear there’s at least 3 active manufacturers of pinball machines with that configuration*.

I’ve done similar with Radiant Silverball, for the same sort of reason, and I know of at least 2-3 others out there now, including one doing an insane 3 screens PLUS DMD.

*Spooky Pinball, Stern Pinball, Team Pinball, and there’s also Dutch Pinball’s probably single Big Lebowski.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

MydknyteStyrm
                      Participant
                        @mydknytestyrm

Full update!

Its been a few days since I posted because long nights of wiring, coffee and playing have kept me from taking pictures. Here goes….

TV Mount and toys in place

REc9

The rats nest for play buttons. I didn’t tidy this yet because I’m using microswitches temporarily until my leaf switches come in.

Rec8

The ZebPlunger. Pretty neat setup, my only gripe is that what sadist decided to make every wire white instead of color coded? I spent more time than I should have on setting this up. Still cant get nudge to work well, it seems to send the ball in a floaty way to the top of the playfield. Plus I’ve had to adjust most plunger tables to at least 130-140%. Overall still cool to have!

REc7

The playfield screen in place. Glass is on order. Took a minute to realize that I had placed a lot of wiring up top and had to readjust them all to make room for the screen. So at some point I will have to go in and rewire lengths and move the contactors down a bit. But it fits very nicely, misses the plunger by 2mm.

REc10

The addressable RGB strip. At first my concern was that it would be too blinding to the player. So, using a L shaped wooden corner trim, painted black and gaffe taped, then the white plastic “wire” channels used for home video and audio spray painted black, it made a perfect channel for the RGB to sit in without being right in the player’s face. Very cool effects on Tron, AFM and Medieval Madness. The bottom of the wood trim, I used thick weatherstripping. The channels are not bolted to the cab, they sit comfortably on top of the screen so I can facilitate easy removal. The weatherstripping gives friction so it doesnt slide around,

REc11

REc12

Cabinet as of today. Still have to make a backpiece for the rear, and soundproof the fan some more, SO LOUD!

Rec5

Rec1

REc3

REc4

Rec2

Still have some more finishing touches on the exterior, and at some point I will take the PF out to rewire it. But so far I am really happy with it. Thanks everyone who has helped so far on the forums. This is a great community!

Onevox
                        Participant
                          @rooster

Nice work. Showpiece!

Onevox

Gwen
                          Participant
                            @gwen

Very nice work!

Gwen

JR
                            Participant
                              @jfr1

Amazing work.  And love the Tron inspiration.  Thanks so much for sharing this build.  Pro level work.

Viewing builds like these were intimidating when I first started researching making a cab.  I have the tools and a bit of ability but was never sure I was going to enjoy the end product enough to invest the time a build like this one requires.  So for anyone reading this that maybe wants to attempt a cab build but is not Norm Abrams …yes! it can be done semi quickly and mine ended up around $800.   But know that by the time you’re ‘done’ …you will want to start over and build this or…Borgdogs cab.

HouseLive
                              Participant
                                @houselive

Love your build man. Great job. Im just starting out so hopefully Ill get there one day. From one tron fan to another Id love to see this when the graphics are on.  :good:

zimbakin
                                Participant
                                  @zimbakin

Looks wicked man. Makes me want to play, great work.

Never take advice from me,
                                  you'll end up drunk.

Zeb
                                  Participant
                                    @zebulon

Just a quick tip. you have the slider on the plunger incorrectly mounted.  Take the rubber tip off and move the block with the tab for engaging the tab on the potentiometer  to in front of the c-clip.  Then pull back the spring and put the shell back on the block with the c-clip between the back of the block and the inside face of the shell.

You currently don’t have full range of motion and the plunger is at rest behind the 0 point on the axis.  This is why you are getting float in the ball and inconsistent nudging.

Build looks great BTW.   :good:

I know so little about everything that I could tell you all there is to know about nothing

Jesperpark
                                    Participant
                                      @jesperpark

Great looking build, thanks for sharing.  What size were the 2 screen sizes in the back box?

Also a good catch on the plunger @zeb there have been a few people on the forums speaking about a weak plunger or other issues.  This is another great list item to help people troubleshoot

MydknyteStyrm
                                      Participant
                                        @mydknytestyrm

Zeb,

im a bit confused by your description. The pics on your site weren’t detailed and I assumed the plunger was on correctly. I pushed the plunger through the block, e-clipped it and the rubber top covers it. Can you provide an illustration or a closeup photo of what it should look like? Thanks for a great system!

MydknyteStyrm
                                        Participant
                                          @mydknytestyrm

Jesperpark

the two screens in my backbox are a 32” and 19”

MydknyteStyrm
                                          Participant
                                            @mydknytestyrm

New pics are coming. Work is getting in the way and weekends are reserved for my 2 year old so I’m lucky if I get at least two to three hours a week to play lol. Stay tuned!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?