Request make Game FileName editable

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Psmiraglia
    Participant
      @psmiraglia

I like “Game FileName” equal “Screen Name” not-equal FileName

Terry: yes, I hear you, I still like it this way :-)

currently, when adding a table, I have to use an SQL editor to modify “Game Filename”. It would be great if this field is editable from within Game Manager.

NailBuster
        @nailbuster
        ModeratorMember

need more info about what you’re trying to see/do…..

screen name is for front end display

filename is to match actual filename.vpx

where/why do you need to see game filename…. really that field isn’t even needed to be visible in config.

Psmiraglia
        Participant
          @psmiraglia

For example:

Screen name = table (manuf year) —) no prob, I can set this up when adding the table
          File name = table-some-version.vpx
          —) no prob, that is the table name
          Game filename = table-some-version —) this not editable. I’m editing this via sql

Why?

Because some time in the future:
          Screen name = table (manuf year) —) no prob
          Filename = table-newer-version.vpx —) updated every time a table is updated
          Game filename (that I would like )= table (manuf year) —) I don’t want this to change every time I update a table, so there is no need to rename media (even if done automatically)

Makes sense?

NailBuster
            @nailbuster
            ModeratorMember

got it but Popper does it different….and better ;)

you keep the actual filename.vpx without version….you can put author/version # in the extra fields in Popper.

Then… have you seen the ‘auto/rename’ update feature of Popper Video?  simply drag/drop new vpx/directb2s/pov in game manager and it will automagically rename all to the ‘standard’ filename and you won’t have to do anything else (maybe update the version# field manually if you’d like)

and btw… that filename field is read-only for a reason… changing it via sql is a ‘black-hole’…  I always expect that field to match the real filename in future… and it will for everyone…well 99.999% of users :)

Psmiraglia
            Participant
              @psmiraglia

Well, then I’m in trouble :-)

why do you need the field in the DB if you expect it to be filename minus ext ?

I need to try the workflow your way and see how it works, then rename all the media and the “Game filename” field. Doable, but not too happy about it :-|

so, when you drag the new, let’s say. VPX table version in game manager, popper will change both “filename” and “game filename” (making the latter equal to filename minus extension), then go into every media subfolders for the system and rename old-version.{mp4|gif|png|mp3} to new-version.{mp4|gif|png|mp3} , right ?

note that I do not want to use the media search field, so each table should have unique media files.

Psmiraglia
              Participant
                @psmiraglia

As a follow up, if media is (or should be) named after “game filename” what I’m doing should work well provided that you do not have other plans for the field, no?

I’m not sold on renaming all media files when updating a table, even if done automatically… I see it as unnecessary churn… I will also have the issue that every single media file will be backed up again (to multiple destinations in my case) as the filename s will change…

NailBuster
                  @nailbuster
                  ModeratorMember

see video:  http://youtu.be/4kC49EYpEHI

Psmiraglia
                  Participant
                    @psmiraglia

see video: http://youtu.be/4kC49EYpEHI

ok, so, just to make sure I understand: when you drag the new files (vpt/x, directb2s, pov, etc.) to the “Game filename” box in the manager, the files are copied from wherever (eg c:\Downloads) it is to the emu-games-folder and renamed as “Game filename” (so the DB entries never change). I then can save/delete the files from (c:\Downloads and the backups made by poper in \Tables\) No media is renamed. Essentially GameName, Game Filename, and Screen Name DB entries are not expected to change after the table is added the first time, right?

txs.

NailBuster
                      @nailbuster
                      ModeratorMember

correct…you just have to make sure you have ‘networking’ mode setup in Popper correctly to use this feature over network.

Psmiraglia
                      Participant
                        @psmiraglia

Can’t use th over the network anyways. Mac user :-)
                        Txs!

HauntFreaks
                          @hauntfreaks
                          vipContributorMember

I think I’m missing something… why do you care what the “Game Filename” is??
                          when the “screen name” is the important field… because this is what is displayed on the screen in the frontend….

Psmiraglia
                          Participant
                            @psmiraglia

Actually, ScreenDisplay is the least important in my opinion for that very reason. In fact, I’ll probably hide it altogether and rely on the wheel mages. Filename is the field that has the most impact on how files are stored, copied, duplicated, etc., so I want to make sure my workflow does not lead to lots of duplicated files that get left behind when renaming. Also, I want to have complete understanding on how to manage the files in the event I need to move things, delete/rename tables, etc. Having the front end automate tasks is great, as long as I know what it is doing

TerryRed
                              @terryred
                              MemberContributorModerator

Actually, ScreenDisplay is the least important in my opinion for that very reason. In fact, I’ll probably hide it altogether and rely on the wheel mages. Filename is the field that has the most impact on how files are stored, copied, duplicated, etc., so I want to make sure my workflow does not lead to lots of duplicated files that get left behind when renaming. Also, I want to have complete understanding on how to manage the files in the event I need to move things, delete/rename tables, etc. Having the front end automate tasks is great, as long as I know what it is doing

Yeah…the best thing to do is simply rename the table filename cleanly in the first place without revision numbers…but maybe with author / mod version if its a different version of the table.

Then this way the base name for this version of the table is set. All updated files for the table (or POV, directb2s,etc) simply need to be drag and dropped in Games Manager and they will be automatically renamed. You are given the option to backup your original file if you want and it will be copied to a backup filder. Media,etc won’t need to be renamed anymore.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?