ROM sound stutter

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Genesis38
    Participant
      @genesis38

Hi fellows,

The last couple of days, I have noticed a very minor stutter on certain table ROM sounds, particularly the new Theatre of Magic and Medieval Madness that were not present before. It happens for a split second where the music or voice in the table will almost double repeat it self. I haven’t changed anything on my cab as far as setup and it’s not connected to the internet. I also checked other programs running at the same time and only one is pinvolume, but that’s never been an issue before.

Any ideas where I can look? I’m a bit stumped. System is an i7-6600 4.1GHZ, MSI GeForce 980Ti GPU with 16GB of ram. Again, it’s always played flawlessly up until a couple of days ago.

Thanks in advance :)

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Since your say you haven’t changed anything – this one is going to be hard. The problem you describe is almost in all cases being CPU related. Unfortunately no idea outside of saying – are you really really sure that you didn’t change anything ?

Genesis38
        Participant
          @genesis38

Thank you for responding Thalamus! Aside from updating tables on a regular basis as I always do, nothing CPU related. I did notice my force exclusive full screen option was checked off in VP preferences for some reason, so I enabled it thinking that was the issue, but unfortunately no. 

The Loafer
          Participant
            @theloafer

If you use task manager, what is the CPU percentage hitting when you play these tables?  heck even outside VP?  You should be seeing very little activity if all is idle

There may have been a windows update that messed things up, happens.

Genesis38
            Participant
              @genesis38

Thank you The Loafer. My cab is offline, so I dont think that’s the issue. I’ll look to see what the CPU percentage is both in VP and outside of the program. It’s the most bizarre issue I’ve ever experienced….. 

Genesis38
              Participant
                @genesis38

I think my issue has been resolved, so far anyway. A special thank you to member STV who advised to change the following on my dmddevicelog.config file;

<rules>
                <logger name=”*” minlevel=”Trace” writeTo=”console” />
                <logger name=”*” minlevel=”Info” writeTo=”file” />
                </rules>

to:

<rules>
                <logger name=”*” minlevel=”warn” writeTo=”console” />
                <logger name=”*” minlevel=”warn” writeTo=”file” />
                </rules>

As I understand, cycles were being consumed writing log info and can cause an issue. I’ll keep an eye on things, hopefully it’s fixed and this can also help someone else out.

Thank you guys!

The Loafer
                Participant
                  @theloafer

IF that ends up being the issue, I don’t think I’ve seen that before so thanks for sharing this possible solution

Thalamus
                    @thalamus

Does not explain what you told us before. It was working ok before and all of a sudden it starting being an issue ? I don’t buy that, but, yes, this has been mentioned before. Don’t log with log level higher than what you need – except for when you are trying to find problems. That goes for anything really.

Genesis38
                    Participant
                      @genesis38

I don’t disagree with you Thalamus but I have no explanation either really. The ONLY thing I can think of is, I added a super high def back glass to Medieval Madness the other day, where my monitor supports a lower resolution than what the BG file consists of however I don’t know if this could cause the issue or not…. 

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

So. You did actually change something ? ;)

Changing a backglass can change the whole table experience. The backglasses are the most common culprit for creating stutter, after UltraDMD imo. The way I steer away from stutter from backglasses is to use a very high percentage of Wildman’s releases. Doesn’t explain why you have issues with the other table though.

Genesis38
                        Participant
                          @genesis38

I honestly didn’t think a backglass would cause this issue that’s why I didn’t listed it as a change but you got me ?. Now that you mentioned Wildman, I do use a lot of his backglasses as well and don’t usually see any trouble with them. MM was made by another author. Best to stick with the Wildman ?

I think for TOM, it’s a demanding table and I do have the modulated flashers and blade art mod enabled. This could also be contributing to my problem, though my system should be able to handle it.

The Loafer
                          Participant
                            @theloafer

Yeah backglass is your major cultprit in most FPS issues.  Well, it was a learning opportunity for you then.  For Tom, that’s likely the issue.

Genesis38
                            Participant
                              @genesis38

But The Loafer, it loos so good ?

IMG_20200428_111026

Thalamus
                                @thalamus

I would think at 980TI would handle it. Fantastic card.  That’s 4k ?

Genesis38
                                Participant
                                  @genesis38

It is Thalamus. 4k Sony panel. The 980Ti has been a workhorse of video card without even breaking a sweat! 

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

Well, I have the 1080 (not TI) and that would be almost the same as yours. I can run that table without stutter with the same options. Maybe hunt in the table options if you can adjust maybe ball reflection or something not significant down a bit so you still can use modulated flashers.  I fully understand why you want them enabled.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                  Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?