SetDMD alternative

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    DemoMan
    Participant
      @demoman

Hi Guys (no girls I assume) – yet another update (0.4.4) ..

This one has a pretty cool feature IMHO – a button to set Free Play to “Yes” (assuming it is set to “No”)
      Works only for WPC games (you need to check the WPC checkBox and start the ROM to see this button and also the coin door buttons).

If this will test OK, much more can be added of course (nr of balls, extra balls, etc etc)  and then do that for all ROMs – or does something like this exist already ?

check it out here

DJRobX
        @djrobx
        MemberModerator

Great tool!   I highly recommend including a popup warning if a user tries to disable AT91Jit:

“The following games are NOT COMPATIBLE with AT91Jit = 0:

Star Trek LE, Walking Dead LE, ACDC Premium, Metallica Premium, Mustang”

Are you sure?”

This setting is not exposed in the VPM UI for a reason.

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator

Great tool! I highly recommend including a popup warning if a user tries to disable AT91Jit:

Star Trek LE, Walking Dead LE, ACDC Premium, Metallica Premium, Mustang”

Are you sure?”

Normally, I wouldn’t have mentioned including that setting….but many people (myself included)  were getting a lot of crashing when using SAM tables, with freezy, PuP, etc..

Changing AT91Jit for some of those tables was the only option to stop the crashing. I agree that a disclaimer would be good though, stating that changing this option should only be used as a last resort fix.

For DDRAW, it would also be good to have a description with it noting “DDRAW must be disabled if VPX is using Exclusive Fullscreen”.

Maybe a help button or something that can have that kind of stuff in it so users will know more about what these buttons and settings are used for?

TerryRed
            @terryred

Great tool! I highly recommend including a popup warning if a user tries to disable AT91Jit:

Star Trek LE, Walking Dead LE, ACDC Premium, Metallica Premium, Mustang”

Are you sure?”

Normally, I wouldn’t have mentioned including that setting….but many people (myself included) were getting a lot of crashing when using SAM tables, with freezy, PuP, etc..

Changing AT91Jit for some of those tables was the only option to stop the crashing. I agree that a disclaimer would be good though, stating that changing this option should only be used as a last resort fix.

For DDRAW, it would also be good to have a description with it noting “DDRAW must be disabled if VPX is using Exclusive Fullscreen”.

Maybe a help button or something that can have that kind of stuff in it so users will know more about what these buttons and settings are used for?

Doh…didn’t see that you already have a help button! Maybe…adding the above info to that would be good then?

HauntFreaks
              @hauntfreaks
              vipContributorMember

wow… this is awesome!!

thanks

TerryRed
                @terryred

For the size, I notice you have h,w   when it should be w, h

DemoMan
                Participant
                  @demoman

update : you can now select roms via checkboxes, which gives you more control over which roms to save to
                  use the small red button to uncheck all and then make a selection – ‘Save All’ will use that selection
                  (the button toggles between Uncheck and Check)

v 0.4.5

3 users thanked author for this post.
                  DemoMan
                  Participant
                    @demoman

Hi,
                    I wonder if anyone tested the ‘Free Play’ button in the tool ?

Don’t know about you guys, but every time I use a new game, I have to change like 10 settings of the game, so I thought having a way to automate that as well, would be very convenient.
                    But maybe there’s a better way – just would like to know if this is something I should pursue..

Thalamus
                      @thalamus
                      ContributorMemberModerator

Sorry. I would never try free play. My preference is to always add coins if possible. Because of world cup I actually haven’t tried you tool yet. Only read what it does and I see it as a very useful tool. I very seldom have to change anything. What 10 things ? If I want a setting for each table I make sure it goes into default.

I’m not afraid of using registry. I take regular backup of these settings. So, for me it is more like a convenience tool than anything. But, there is a lot of people who are scared once you mention registry and that is when a tool like this really shines.

RYSr (Rich)
                      Participant
                        @rysr

Hi,

I wonder if anyone tested the ‘Free Play’ button in the tool ?

Don’t know about you guys, but every time I use a new game, I have to change like 10 settings of the game, so I thought having a way to automate that as well, would be very convenient.

But maybe there’s a better way – just would like to know if this is something I should pursue..

Interesting Idea!

Things like balls per game, replay = extra ball, 3 replay levels, special = extra ball, free play, and sometimes others. on DMD titles.

Some like Gotlieb are a little harder to navigate the buttons, and the older solid state you need F6 to set dip switches for options, then have to have a manual to figure out what the dips are. Unless some one ( as many authors have done) make the graphic representation to set them.

Available settings vary by system type, so that would have to be dealt with, especially if you intend to allow coping settings to all tables of same type.

If i’m not mistaken most of these settings are stored in the Nvram folder files, not in the registry.

If there was a way to graphically display the settings available for each table and then to change them, and then to possibly copy them to new tables that would be something! Especially for the new comer to VP that hasen’t set most of these settings already manually over the years of downloading tables..

Or just the ability to copy an existing Table/ROM that is setup the way you want to others of the same system type by using the mark then copy feature?

Rich

DemoMan
                        Participant
                          @demoman

Hi,

yes, I’m talking about the Game settings like free play, nr of extra balls, high score boost & reset count etc.
                          These are not stored in the registry but in nvram somehow.
                          VPtools now just simulates a nr of button presses to get to and adjust these settings. A bit crude – but it works (at least when I test).

I think it would be really cool if that could be fully automated and settings get copied to other games.. maybe it’s possible to write directly to nvram ?

Thalamus
                            @thalamus
                            ContributorMemberModerator

Right. Sure, anything setting change that is done via the dmd menu is stored in nvram. I would expect that it is possible to write directly to nvram files – it is after all a saved setting file. Maybe one could reused same offsets from closely related machines, but, I wouldn’t bet on it.

DemoMan
                            Participant
                              @demoman

This could be interesting : https://github.com/tomlogic/pinmame-nvram-maps

tested it and it works nicely – unfortunately there aren’t that many maps for games.. also it reads the nvram (doesn’t write to it)
                              contacted the author – let’s see where that leads to

sample output :

\VPinMAME\nvram>python nvram_parser.py maps/afm_113.nv.json afm_113.nv
                              B.2 Earnings Audits
                              -------------------
                              02 Recent Left Slot: 0
                              03 Recent Cent. Slot: 0
                              04 Recent Rght. Slot: 0
                              05 Recent 4th Slot: 0

12 Last Serv. Cred: 2004-11-07 15:51
                              13 R. Universe Won: 2018-06-04 10:06

GC: SLL 7,500,000,000
                              1st: BRE 7,000,000,000
                              2nd: LFS 6,500,000,000
                              3rd: RCF 6,000,000,000
                              4th: DTW 5,500,000,000
                              Martian Champ: LFS 20 Martians Destroyed
                              Rule the Universe: TEX at 2018-06-04 10:06

---Last Game---
                              2018-06-04 00:01
                              checksum16 at 0x1F70: 0xF617 != 0xFF0E Mode Champions
                              killa7977
                              Participant
                                @killa7977

Am i the only One that can’t make the dmd stays where i place It? It saves, when i try to run fake DMD Is Is placed correctly, but when going to run tables, It keeps going back to wrong previous position. Any help?

Thanks

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

Make sure your DMD is NOT in a negative value position.

Propper screen positions

killa7977
                                  Participant
                                    @killa7977

Thanks terry for trying to help me. Now this Is the situation, i’ve managed to successfully lock in Place my vpinmame dmd, by editing defaults and global registry entry. Added these values to dmddevice.ini, enabling external dmd and It Is still in wrong place. My screens are not in negative position, but, BUT playfield Is Number 2, dmd dmd number 1 and backglass Number 3. Don’t know of this means something, because with vpinmame all Is working well for all my tables…. Any idea? Thanks again

outhere
                                      @outhere
                                      MemberContributorvipModerator

You will more than likely need different values in the InI file to get the right Location
                                      2 & 3 Screen set-up and more
                                      https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/3-screen-set-up-and-more/

killa7977
                                      Participant
                                        @killa7977

Just to understand, you mean that x/y dmd values can be different beetween vpinmame and freezy extension? This is important

jejevpinball
                                        Participant
                                          @jejevpinball

Another tool, similar to setDMD and VPtools : VisualPinMameRomsUpdate

Url : https://sourceforge.net/projects/visualpinmameromsupdate/

This is a small program : we can indeed consult the set of current values of each rom, choose to modify parameters for each rom or for all, save all the data in a .reg file …

Note: To change the default settings that VPinMame applies to each newly installed ROM, modify or add the registry keys in this path:
                                          Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame\default\

Note: If at the table launch, the values of the parameters have changed again, it is surely that the script of the table in Visual Pinball forces the saving of the values. Check the existence of this kind of codes and comment on them (single quotation mark (‘) in front of the line):
                                          .ShowDMDOnly = False ‘ Expands the DMD screen with other informations
                                          .ShowFrame = True ‘ Add frame around the window of the screen DMD
                                          .ShowTitle = True ‘ Display the title of the window of the screen DMD
                                          .Hidden = True ‘ Hide the screen DMD
                                          .Games(cGameName).Settings.Value(“dmd_pos_x”) = 4000 ‘screen DMD position X
                                          .Games(cGameName).Settings.Value(“dmd_pos_x”) = 1200 ‘screen DMD position Y
                                          .Games(cGameName).Settings.Value(“dmd_pos_x”) = 1500 ‘screen DMD width
                                          .Games(cGameName).Settings.Value(“dmd_pos_x”) = 500 ‘screen DMD height
                                          .Games(cGameName).Settings.Value(“rol”) = 1 ‘screen DMD to the left

VisualPinMameRomsUpdate

irondragoon
                                          Participant
                                            @irondragoon

Ha! I wrote a thing to do this too because I have mad coding skills and am super lazy. Plus I don’t really trust other coders because, having worked with them, I know the awful mistakes they make.

I was going to open source mine. Is yours? I didn’t even look. Mine is currently a console app.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?