Should I be revisiting Future Pinball?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Bob Albright
    Participant
      @bobalbright

I’ve had my Virtuapin cab for 5 years or so now. When I first got it I also installed Future Pinball, but soon abandoned it due to the playability of FP. Lately, I see a lot of new Future Pinball tables available for download. Should I reinstall FP? Is it worth my time now?

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Scotty VH
        @scottt
        ModeratorMember

I have the same question!  I don’t have DOF though…. are there other improvements in the tables for physics, etc.?

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

By all means. If you don’t care about pinball physics – go ahead. Some people obviously like it. I doubt any descent players does though.

It is free so ….

One thing I do know is that it is not going into my cab.

RustyCardores
            @rustycardores
            MemberModerator

I have 80 “BAM” FP tables on my cab, 17 of which are SLAM’s, all of which I have tweaked and tweaked…. but FP is turned off, I just can’t live with the physics.

That said, every so often (as recently as just a couple of days ago in fact) I turn it back on to play a couple of tables just for old times sake…. rarely do I finish playing the first table and never do I start the second.  Those flippers that seem to run on “anti-logic” are simply more than I can stand.  lol

Dark
              @dark
              vipMemberContributor

The physics were improved from the original version substantially, but considering how bad they were…….they’re still bad.  I abandoned them long ago and haven’t looked back.

But I could understand wanting to have some tables just to be able to look around them in 3D with the dynamic camera viewer.

3dcreation

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

Physics are not good :( very true.

But the tables are very well done so i enjoy them but dont expect to hit what your shooting at 90% of the time :)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                for IOS and Android

Vinthar
                Participant
                  @vinthar

Gezz… it ALWAYS make me sad to see talented ppl doing anything with FP, trying to reanimate this corpse with dll injections, etc… It’s like trying to reanimate dead man with adrenaline shot… in best case scenario you start zombie pandemic. Why ppl just don’t let this abandoned C*R*A*P die?!

Bob Albright
                  Participant
                    @bobalbright

Thanks for your replies. And the replies are pretty much what I expected. I won’t bother reinstalling

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

TXT11
                    Participant
                      @txt11

I feel very sad for those authors that have taken the time to create FP tables only to have many bag out the physics…. Of the 50’s/60’s/70’s recreated tables (Gottlieb’s in particular) play very much like the REAL thing.  Go and play one of this era’s real machines and then go play an FP version and you will understand that not all tables play fast or with great physics. :scratch:

ozg
                      Participant
                        @netweight

Future Pinball has a lot of good tables and some good physics, depending which one you install. I would install again, but I haven’t yet and most likely won’t anytime soon. I’ve never (for the most part) ran an antivirus program until lately, for some reason I always thought that FP was malware, but I can’t say that for sure. It just seemed that FP was really evasive once installed on the PC.

VPX:

Dirty Harry, Kingpin, Metallica, Scared Stiff, The Sopranos, South Park, Star Trek LE, The Walking Dead and The X-Files keep me going for now. At least until the Meatllica LE and Pinball Magic are uploaded, hopefully soon! Plus I have 17 PA tables on my PS3.

So I would go toward yes on the FP question, IMO.

TNT2
                        Participant
                          @tnt2

I have not tried FP yet as I have heard the complaints about the physics but dang that Aliens Legacy table intrigues me.

ozg
                          Participant
                            @netweight

I have not tried FP yet as I have heard the complaints about the physics but dang that Aliens Legacy table intrigues me.

I played that table six years ago (I see that they’ve updated the pin a bunch of times over the years), it’s nothing to write home about, but try it for yourself.

TNT2
                            Participant
                              @tnt2

It’s mainly because I am a huge fan of the film and it looks so atmospheric.

Granted VPX has spoiled us. Physics on it are amazing. Probably why I foresee not being overwhelmed by it.

ozg
                              Participant
                                @netweight

It’s mainly because I am a huge fan of the film and it looks so atmospheric. Granted VPX has spoiled us. Physics on it are amazing. Probably why I foresee not being overwhelmed by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfZMBQhiQKU

Personally I like PM5/physmod5 the best. PM5 tells my brain that it’s real pinball, because of the weight and physics of the ball. I play The Walking Dead PM5 (GtxJoe version) more than any other table, because it plays just like the real arcade pin or should I say exactaly. The other two are the Simpsons (Data East) and Hook, but on Hook you have to adjust the slope or the ball won’t make it up the ramp. I wish that all of the tables were physmod5.

TerryRed
                                  @terryred
                                  MemberContributorModerator

Should you try FP? Why not?  Just because some people hate it, doesn’t mean everyone does. Are the flipper physics perfect? No. Do they have to be for everyone? No. If I had the same attitude with VP, I never would have installed it in my cab. Anyone who has seen video of my cabinet know I love both.

If you want to try out Future Pinball with cabinet feedback and lighting, here is a “simple” guide to setup FP, BAM, Pinball X, and DOFLinx:

How Future Pinball "should" be setup for BAM, DOFLinx and Pinball X!

I personally am very proud of the work I have done with the DOFLinx cabinet mods of Future Pinball tables. You won’t see these unique effects on VP! (outside of the addressable leds, which I love in my pincab!)  I don’t think anyone should feel “sorry” for me, or anyone else who puts work into anything FP related. Spread the love of pinball….not the hate of fanboy’ism!

I also would like to thank randr for hosting these DOFLinx modded Future Pinball tables. I wasn’t sure if they would be welcomed, but he has been wonderful and very encouraging to myself and others for the work they have done. Thank you!

I would ask that anyone who hasn’t seen DOFLinx in action, please check out my video demos of the FP tables I have added DOFLinx cabinet feedback and lighting to. They really are unique and showcase just how amazing FP can be with the combination of videos, great graphics, amazing sound, and very cool cabinet light shows. They are a great watch…even if you “hate” FP.

Star Trek

Aliens Legacy

Robocop

Superman

Jaws

Iron Man

Tron Legacy (SLAMT1LT)

Tron Legacy (STERN)

Star Wars Death Star Assault

ozg
                                  Participant
                                    @netweight

LOL Avatar, that’s one of the most boring pins ever made to date, IMO. On a side note, I’m not going to install the new Stern Pinball Arcade anytime soon. My antivirus found that it contained a trojan virus/malware, plus I’ve heard that SPA plays/runs awful on every platform.

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

Truly would be shame not to enjoy fp for what it is. I enjoy pinball.  I even have tpa in my iPhone :) why not it’s fun! Yes I much prefer VP but as I’ve said many times FP is so unique it’s fun just for the originals and I will always have it installed just for FUN! it cost nothing! :)

Terry, Senseless and the Dr. thanks for beating a dead horse and taking SO much of your time to at least try to make FP more enjoyable for people!

********************************************************
                                      Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                      for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Dr.Tom
                                      Participant
                                        @crile1
                                        MemberContributor

Randr…I do it for others, but mostly for myself.  I love that I can make them into whatever I want and really push the limits of my cab.  Turn the lights down and watch the light show.  For me, I stay away from FP recreations for the most part because they don’t compare with VP.  But I own a 1964 Gottlieb, and I’ve never played a VP game that recreates it.  They all play too fast.  The older tables play slow because they have a much lower slope.  Those old solenoids can’t bang a ball up a ramp…lol.  So, I think it is fair to say that nothing gets it perfect, but they all give their own experiences.  I got turned off by FP years ago and swore I’d never go back, then I found BAM, Zed physics, and 2.6 and 2.7 physics.  That plus DOFLinx brought it back in my opinion.  Its kinda funny, I kinda adjust myself to FP physics and then when I go back to playing VP, I have to adjust back. When I go to my old Gottlieb, I have to adjust once again (especially to the manual ball kicker/plunger to load a ball).  And even in an arcade, tables (if you can find one) are in such bad shape, they don’t play like a new one.  You always have to make mental adjustments to play to the strengths of that particular table.  So, as you and Terry say, give it a try.  If it’s not your thing…no biggie…but don’t hate on it.  And don’t rip on us who like it and spend our time trying to share our fun with others.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?