Should I release minor mods

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Skitso
    Participant
      @skitso

Hey,

I’ve made several visual mods (improved lighting, shadows, details) but I’m not sure if they are substantial enough to release to the public… So what I guess I’m trying to ask here is, are there some general rules on what is “enough” to warrant a new mod release. I wouldn’t want to push the site full of my mods that are just minor improvements on something that is already available for people. These are not on the same scale as my earlier Twilight Zone mod for example, but an improvement nevertheless…  :unsure:

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

As long as you have permission to mod, then I think you should release as long as you think it is worth it. I’m still to be considered relative new in this community, so, I’m curious on the response of others in this case.

CarnyPriest
        Participant
          @carnypriest

Would still be best to see if original author is willing to update their table post with your changes.

Would be OK to post a separate mod with permission. Some authors have given blanket permission. Others you might have to track down.

Or you can still post a diff patch with link to original table if it is something you feel is worth sharing. That way, the author at least gets the download credit.

Most favor above all continuing to improve the work. Just have to try not to step on toes while getting the work out into the community.

Skitso
          Participant
            @skitso

Yeah… it’s a bit tricky as I would assume most VP hobbyist would like to have the most polished version of each table available, but I wouldn’t want to step on anyone’s toes by releasing versions that some would perceive as insignificant or even unnecessary.

Asking permissions from the original author is a no brainer of course!  :good:

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

I feel it has to be s significant improvement to be released as a mod. Otherwise I think minor changes should be given to original author to add if he wanted to. But I’m old school :)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

CarnyPriest
              Participant
                @carnypriest

Some details of physics or lighting are subjective. But your work is really good. I trust that if you felt moved to polish something then it wasn’t for insignificant reasons. Hope to see some of these see the light of day.

:good:

Skitso
                Participant
                  @skitso

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I need to think this over.. Maybe I end up releasing something. ;-)

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

I like the idea of diff patches for minor mods.

Thalamus
                      @thalamus
                      ContributorMemberModerator

I don’t have any problems with diff’s but, I don’t look forward to explaining it everyone that don’t. :wacko:

CarnyPriest
                      Participant
                        @carnypriest
                        randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

@skitso looking forward to seeing more of what you got that’s for sure.

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

Sliderpoint
                          Participant
                            @sliderpoint
                            MemberContributor

Man, I got a hundred of those kind of changes (Lighting, physics, sizes, positions, graphics) to tables.  But I keep all that to myself because I see it as just adjusting to have  my personal preferences. I personally would consider them to be ‘better’, but to put it out as mod with just those changes seems to me is a way to tell the author that his original table sucked and would be rude.  It would have to be a pretty significant amount of change before I would put out a ‘mod’.

-Mike

CarnyPriest
                            Participant
                              @carnypriest

I haven’t seen that the patching solution has been abused. Fact is, I think most don’t even know about it. But if you can’t reach somebody who’s left the scene, what else are going to do?

The Loafer
                              Participant
                                @theloafer

I am a strong supporter of “permission to mod” I feel ownership is merited with the hundreds of hours you table authors put into your work and it’s an appropriate sign of respect.  Anyway not going down that debate :), the reason why I’m saying that is sort of a counter balance when I say if we are going to be talking about “diff” files and patching system I do hope people aren’t too concerned about if THAT would hurt feelings of authors. I mean it’s not a mod, it’s useless on its own and the original author’s work is still available at the link of their choice so they stil have full control of their release so let’s not be too sensitive about if these could be viewed as not appropriate (not saying anyone is suggesting this but I can feel the conversation could go that way, so here’s my ignorant two cents)

PErsonally I’d love to check out other peoples personal preferences and the patching system is a perfect way to do so.  Hope to see a repository of these someday.

CarnyPriest
                                Participant
                                  @carnypriest

@Thalamus github repository is a good example. It’s off any table’s main support path but does provide some features people would be looking for if so inclined esp. fastflips. I’m not saying diff patches are the primary go to. It is more a solution of last resort. It’s there but not used much because “permission to mod” is a system that works pretty well.

Schreibi34
                                  Participant
                                    @schreibi34

I prefer to not upload every tiny change. All the fame and glory should stay with the original author. Even a small lighting change , if done well, can pull the attention off the original 200 hour  table towards the 5 hour mod. Thats not right in my opinion. I also gave up on offering the smaller stuff to authors because they mostly want to keep their table look and thats understandable after hundrets of hours of work! A good mod should include a couple of this enhancements (not all of them):

Brand new gi lighting

Gameplay and physics changes after video research

Nicer prims

Adding a shadow layer

2k to 4k upscale

Pre rendered textures

New Inserts

Layout changes for more realistic gameplay

Major script changes

Mark70
                                    Participant
                                      @mark70

Hi Skitso, I’m not a table author but maybe I can give my opinion anyway.
                                      I think for just minor changes it would be a good sololution to send the table to original author (if possible), he could than update the table and give you credit.
                                      That would have the following advantages: More people coud benefit from even small changes. The work gets more attention instead of just staying on you own computer. The original table author would still have the most recent table version.

Draifet
                                      Participant
                                        @draifet

On my experience If u contact the authors to ask them to release small changes/fixes, 75% (maybe a bit lower %) of times they will release them. If they are only small changes i don’t like the idea of tagging them like new mods on separate files from the original table author.

Skitso
                                        Participant
                                          @skitso

Okay, so what I gather here is that the changes would need to be rather significant to warrant a mod release. The question remains though: what is considered significant? I should probably respect the original author and his/her vision and leave the visual/polish mods to my own use and not release them. I might send some of my material to original authors and maybe they will be integrated to the tables some day. Thanks for your opinions everyone!  :good:

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

Well years ago we all enjoyed loaded weapons night mods! The night mods were mostly lighting with some details/physics changes Which was great fun. I’d love to see your mods so ask the authors and see what they say?

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?