SLAMT1LT has unlocked secrets to Future Pinball's physics

Viewing 19 posts - 61 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    TerryRed
      @terryred
      MemberContributorModerator

I can’t believe it…and maybe I won’t until it actually happens….but here is SLAM’s latest post on his site. (Ignore his VP bias, as that is nothing new, so please don’t take offense to that guys:)

“EarthDate: 5th December 2018.

​After testing dynamic flippers in most of my ULTIMATE Pro games now, I can say without any doubt that Future Pinball’s physics are officially…..awesome.

Combined with my own fixes to geometry and physics, and BAM’s incredible light engine,  Future Pinball is one giant leap ahead of VP, in almost every way.

Now unless VP joins the 21st century and goes for real time 3D graphics, instead of using last century technology, Future Pinball has secured it’s place as THE best free virtual pinball available…..in my biased opinion.

And it gives me enormous pleasure making that declaration, because I’m not VPs biggest fan as you know.

The dynamic flipper code will now be added to all my scripts, so the games are good to go with everything already done.  Just load and play.

Future Pinball will continue to improve for many more years I’m sure, so what I think is awesome today, may be dog shit tomorrow (like my ULTRA and ULTIMATE Edition games).  But that’s progress –  always moving forward, always improving.

It’s been a long journey getting FP to this stage, and during the past 10 years many great authors have moved on.  And without anything new,  the FP community is almost non existent now.   

It may be too late for Future Pinball, but I won’t stop creating games for it.  And I have no interest in trying to convert the VP crowd to FP.  They are a lost cause.  Leave them in peace.

​So for the last few people who still love Future Pinball, you guys are going to get my games.

Yes, I’m coming back and I’ll start releasing my ULTIMATE Pro edition games this Christmas!

Thanks mainly to the work by Gimli, GeorgeH, Ravarcade, Terry Red and anyone else who’s been working hard to make Future Pinball what it is today.  Great job guys!

The very least I can do is create awesome pinball games for you all to enjoy.

Many of my ULTIMATE Pro games are unfinished WIPs because my ambition for these games is huge and they keep evolving.  But what I release will be playable, bug free and a tremendous amount of fun to play.

And BAM is absolutely essential now.   All my games are optimised for the latest version.”

I personally am VERY excited if this comes true…as he has done some amazing new original tables over the last 2 years that haven’t been released yet. His other updated modded version sof real tables (like Stern’s Indy) are VERY different than the originals…which is fine by me as that is WHY I like those tables on FP. VPX does a great job at recreating the arcade versions. These SLAM FP “alternate” versions are more what I like.

I am also not trying to convince anyone to enjoy / convert to FP,etc..  but I am excited to see how these tables will play. Don’t expect them to play exactly like VPX..which is fine for guys like me…. but if we can make the shots most of the time now…that alone is a huge difference!

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Well if they can make the physics playable at least then yes it’s a huge deal! Sure hope he is right but wow he is sure a VP hater! Sad

I wish them all the luck with new physics that’s for sure.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

freelunch
        Participant
          @freelunch

For awhile I’ve thought the physics mods for Future Pinball improved over the original physics, but it’s always been the flippers that consistently feel bizarre to me. I would love to try any improvements to the flipper physics.

TerryRed
            @terryred

Well if they can make the physics playable at least then yes it’s a huge deal! Sure hope he is right but wow he is sure a VP hater! Sad

I wish them all the luck with new physics that’s for sure.

Yah…he doesn’t need the fanboy’ism to come out by making references to VP each time. It’s ok to LOVE FP…or OK to love VPX…or FX3….   just enjoy it, and let each platform be enjoyed with their own strengths.

CarnyPriest
            Participant
              @carnypriest

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1537-1377621562-19

Slam’s talking about his shit again. Tiresome self-hype and pretty meh in the end.

shiva
              Participant
                @shiva

Unnecessary and counter productive to slam a different editor, but then it also works both ways as well. Advancements in FP end up in vpx, and advancements in vpx end up in fp, so people should be a bit more positive and help others, as this makes both communities stronger.

vpx is old tech though, but then FP uses opengl, which is pretty much dead. Personally, I always wanted a new modern editor that combines the best features from both, but that is beyond peoples capabilities at the moment.

As to Dynamic flippers, I will also be using them, but only the parts like the aiming. I think the physics have a way to go still, and it is very hard to figure out all this new stuff without proper explanations so it’s trial and error. I thought up something, but the requests I put in to make it happen are not there yet, so after I finish the graphics portion, I will use fresh eyes and see if I can maybe up the bar a little bit.

It is nice to finally find a vp forum where people are at least open minded and not constantly slam FP as if they are being paid to do so. FP/BAM has made enormous strides in the last 2 years, and hopefully down the road people will enjoy the games as much as VPX.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

CarnyPriest
                Participant
                  @carnypriest

lol, new builder based on UnReal has been tried. Couldn’t generate the support.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33194

Unit3D is dead.

Guess it is harder than it looks, right?

Not slamming FP. There are many brilliant originals that I enjoy playing. And it is a shame that many of the FP masters drifted away from the scene. I think that was Black’s goal to push development for new and original pinball ideas hence no VPM or rom emulation. That and very early on FP was going to be a little Apple Store for authors to sell original tables years before there was an actual Apple Store. And, if you think about it recreations are a dead end for development. TAF is a classic, no doubt, but obsessively recreating it over and over and over… He may have been dismayed that FP largely went the virtual clone route too even without having VPinMAME support to leverage the original game code.

TerryRed
                    @terryred

lol, new builder based on UnReal has been tried. Couldn’t generate the support.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33194

Unit3D is dead.

Guess it is harder than it looks, right?

Not slamming FP. There are many brilliant originals that I enjoy playing. And it is a shame that many of the FP masters drifted away from the scene. I think that was Black’s goal to push development for new and original pinball ideas hence no VPM or rom emulation. That and very early on FP was going to be a little Apple Store for authors to sell original tables years before there was an actual Apple Store. And, if you think about it recreations are a dead end for development. TAF is a classic, no doubt, but obsessively recreating it over and over and over… He may have been dismayed that FP largely went the virtual clone route too even without having VPinMAME support to leverage the original game code.

I’m really glad I wasn’t part of the community during all the nasty history and drama back then. I just want to help make cool tables, PuP Stuff, and DOF.

shiva
                    Participant
                      @shiva

Yeap, is harder than it looks. It’s also a case of people not helping as well when someone asked. VP especially at that time, as it was more ME than US. I certainly have a lot more respect for people now days than I ever did back then (like JP and all his additional subroutines), because of all the things they have done to help others make their own games, as opposed to years back when it was all about themselves.

Unit3d is just sad. I can understand people being real upset about that one, giving them all that money to buy a license and then not hearing from them ever again, even if it’s just to release the assets for unity so others that have unity can continue work.

I can’t speak for black, other than what he wanted during the beta of fp. He didn’t want vpinmame that was for certain, I think he didn’t like what was happening to VP at the time, and he wanted far better control as the developer. Don’t really blame him, I was pretty sick of playing the same damn games over and over years ago.

I don’t see vpx being any different than just a pinball emulator. You look at the downloads of “arcade” games compared to “original” games and how much greater a vpinmame game gets. It’s very disheartening to the people that make their own creations, as the amount of time to make one table all by yourself is 4 times longer, and I can understand why people just don’t want to make a effort.

I do wish I have more time. I’m doing my own game, but it’s just bits and pieces so it’s taking forever, but once it’s done maybe grab some people to help and do a master template system for FP/BAM for people to use, with pre set scoring (basically, place a object on the table, press play and have it run and score automatically without needing additional code. I did it for VP, but that method doesn’t work for FP) or a code generator.

There’s lots of old great VP original games out there as well, maybe people will do new versions of them.

TerryRed
                        @terryred

I think Scotty Wic and his Orbital Pin VPX template combined with options like PuP are a fantastic example of someone putting in a lot of time to create something that anyone can use. Not to mention his great examples of amazing tables like Stranger Things: Stranger Edition.

shiva
                        Participant
                          @shiva

Never seen that one, couldn’t find a download either. I’m talking FP and how badly it needs a decent beginner level template, but if there is something for vpx that’s cool.

TerryRed
                            @terryred

Never seen that one, couldn’t find a download either. I’m talking FP and how badly it needs a decent beginner level template, but if there is something for vpx that’s cool.

Stranger Things: Stranger Edition is an excellent example of how great a VPX original table combined with PuP can be. Amazing table!

TerryRed
                              @terryred

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

Looks like it needs a lot of work yet but better then it was :good:

********************************************************
                                Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                for IOS and Android

********************************************************

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

Looks like it needs a lot of work yet but better then it was :good:

Yah..the big thing right now is ball bounce which Ravarcade is still updating via BAM…but this can all be controlled in real-time by table script, and via events,etc. Not sure if SLAM is aware of those settings/features yet.

Eventually I think there will be a “good” around reference to use once this is tried and tested much more.

It is much better than before for sure…not perfect but getting better! I tried some WIP of another table and it played much better. Its strange being able to make most of my my shots in FP.  :)

The Loafer
                                  Participant
                                    @theloafer

I like the video but yeah it gives the impression that for those ramp shots, whoever is playing has to do tap flips to hit those so still feels “off” compared to reality but does look like aiming is much improved.

Some of those originals def will bring me to play FP, the term “good enough to have fun” is valid for sure.  If some don’t like them, that’s ok too.

bb
                                    Participant
                                      @delt31

Can you now aim your shots and they go where they should?  That was my biggest issue.  You can’t aim!

GeorgeH
                                      Participant
                                        @georgeh

Aiming is much better with dynamic flippers.  One of the enhancements was to fix the geometry of the flipper.

George

PinWiz99
                                        Participant
                                          @pinwiz99

Hey guys, lets get another 20 subs to Slam’s channel for another release. He’s about to release his ultimate pro Stern Star Trek and currently has these for D/L on his site

Iron Man ULTIMATE Pro 1.03 <—– latest!

Flash Gordon ULTIMATE Pro 1.02

Kiss ULTIMATE Pro 1.03

Xenon ULTIMATE Pro 1.02

Strikes and Spares ULTIMATE Pro 1.01

Jaws ULTIMATE Pro 1.06

Star Trek: Condition Red ULTIMATE Pro 1.04

Let’s get him some more subs so we can get some more of his tables!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2A-ho6wO1z0Wu2K9pvq5Jg

Viewing 19 posts - 61 through 79 (of 79 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?