SSD question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JR
    Participant
      @jfr1

Getting ready to finally upgrade to a SSD.  Anyone have any suggestions?  My system is a tad under-powered and I’m hoping this will allow certain games to play better.  I’m sure there are other forums discussing this but just wanted some up to date input from the people that have been hanging out here.  Thanks!

JR

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

SSD wont make a game run better… but your system will boot faster and the table will load up faster. SSD is a great upgrade and LONG overdue if you dont have one already.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

There is at least 4 regular ( sata ) main types of SSD – you have the very expensive ones and down to the cheaper “4 layer consumer” ones. If you plan it to keep data that doesn’t change often – like storing tables on and reading them Then go for the SSD that gives you most storage for the dollar, as long as it is a brand you’ve heard about before and not ordered off aliexpress :whistle:

Then you have m.2 which is bloody fast because of their connection to mb. There exists pci slot SSD’s too. But, I expect the question was about regular.

And. Yes, randr is right. Won’t give you anything else then less waiting for things to load, except maybe a little less heat, and the fact that SSD really can withstand being tossed around a bit. A regular HD – especially over 4T don’t.

toy4x4
          Participant
            @toy4x4

Make sure your motherboard will support booting off a m.2 if you decide to go that route.

Badazzwi
            Participant
              @badazzwi

I bought a Samsung 860 EVO 500gb for my pinball PC when my hard drive died on me. It’s my first SSD and what a difference it makes in time it takes to boot, load programs, file transfers ect.. I will ever go back to the old brick.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

JR
              Participant
                @jfr1

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the input.  Forget why I was under the impression a SS might help with game-play.  I’ve installed a couple in laptops and while not used for gaming, seemed a bit snappier.  Much appreciated.  No Aliexpress Thalamus.  I have a local store I may go to for this.  And now I can impress them by asking about m.2 and four layer drives.  I’ll end up with a Samsung like badazz.  Thanks again!   Off to install more of Thal’s dmd vids.  Fun stuff!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?