SSF (Surround Sound Feedback) for Pinball FX3 using DOFLinx and Pinup Player!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    TerryRed
      @terryred
      MemberContributorModerator

I had this in the PinUP Player forum….but figured it might interest you SSF guys….even though it’s not VPX.

Happy Father’s Day!

FX3 SSF PuP-Packs are now available!

Note: DOF R3++, DOFLinx 6.30, and PinUP System are required to be installed and working first before you can use these PuP-Packs.

Please read EVERYTHING in the “DESCRIPTIONS” tab, and the “INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS” tab on the download page!

Good luck and enjoy!

http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/fx3-ssf-surround-sound-feedback-pup-packs/

NOTE: PinUP Player can only use your DEFAULT Soundcard for SSF!

2 users thanked author for this post.
      redrooster
      Participant
        @redrooster

So, I was just now considering adding SSF to my cab…but your statement about only using the default soundcard has me confused.

Can you run both the same way at the same time?

TerryRed
          @terryred

So, I was just now considering adding SSF to my cab…but your statement about only using the default soundcard has me confused.

Can you run both the same way at the same time?

VPX allows you to choose whatever sound card you want to use for SSF.

PuP SSF currently only works with whatever sound card is your “windows default” sound card.

You can have more than one sound card installed…but PuP SSF will only put out sound on whatever you have set as the “default” sound card in windows.

smellar
          Participant
            @smellar

You’re not the only one redrooster, I’m completely confused by the whole PinUp thing!  :unsure:   It’s a front-end to tables on other emulators – I don’t see how it needs SSF, or should affect an underlying emulators’ ability to use SSF with multiple sound cards?

I’ve tried to look at it as a replacement for PinballX because I can see the value in the flexibility PinUp has, but I just can’t make sense of it. I don’t need extra screens or pointless videos I won’t see because I’m playing, I’m just after a minimalist menu that everyone who uses my cab can figure out.  But I can’t make it use the PIN2DMD no matter how many guides I follow, it flips images the wrong way round when they worked fine with PBX, half the config is intuitive and half I can’t even figure what the settings will do, and the doco isn’t comprehensive enough yet.

I understand it’s just a free tool, and I know from experience how much time it takes to put the polish on an application :-(   I want to like it, but at the moment it’s just been an exercise in frustration  :wacko: Until it matures I guess I’ll be sticking with what I had.

redrooster
            Participant
              @redrooster

I’m currently running PUP and am really happy with it.  PinballX just had a million bugs that I could never quite get resolved.  Plus, the videos and such, the way the menu look, etc…  I prefer all of it, for no other reason than that it’s cool.

But i’d like to have a feedback option of some sort, don’t want to spend $850 on one of the ez install kits, so i figured i might give SSF a try.  My problem now is that it may be more confusing that i had hoped.

smellar
              Participant
                @smellar

Glad you got it working, wish I had because I do like the look of it :yes:

I went with SSF rather than an expensive kit and it’s absolutely brilliant (in VPX, haven’t tried anything else yet) – it turned what felt like a video game in a big box into feeling like a living cab.  As long as PinUp doesn’t mess with that then I don’t think you can do better than SSF, and the entry price can’t be beaten!

TerryRed
                  @terryred

You’re not the only one redrooster, I’m completely confused by the whole PinUp thing! :unsure: It’s a front-end to tables on other emulators – I don’t see how it needs SSF, or should affect an underlying emulators’ ability to use SSF with multiple sound cards?

I’ve tried to look at it as a replacement for PinballX because I can see the value in the flexibility PinUp has, but I just can’t make sense of it. I don’t need extra screens or pointless videos I won’t see because I’m playing, I’m just after a minimalist menu that everyone who uses my cab can figure out. But I can’t make it use the PIN2DMD no matter how many guides I follow, it flips images the wrong way round when they worked fine with PBX, half the config is intuitive and half I can’t even figure what the settings will do, and the doco isn’t comprehensive enough yet.

I understand it’s just a free tool, and I know from experience how much time it takes to put the polish on an application :-( I want to like it, but at the moment it’s just been an exercise in frustration :wacko: Until it matures I guess I’ll be sticking with what I had.

PinUP Player = software that allows you to have interactive video backglasses, Toppers, DMD.etc for VPX, FP, FX3,etc

PinUP Popper = Front End program that “makes use of” Pinup Player.

PinUP System = the installation of Player and Popper.

You don’t need to use or setup Popper at all if you only want to use anything to uses PinUP Player, such as pup-based tables or PuP-Packs.

You don’t need to change your SSF setup with VPX at all to use PuP or Popper….but if you want to be able to use PuP-SSF…currently that will only work with your “default” sound card (if you have more than one)…just like 90% of the other PC programs out there. Installing Pinup System doesn’t affect or change your SSF setup for VPX.

I hope that clarifies what the software does…regardless of it allowing for very cool pointless videos, and load of options that hundreds of people seem to figure out how to use.

Also, for clarification…

“Pinball X” requires you to have your videos rotated…not Popper. This is why I uploaded this… Hope you are able to read the directions and figure it out:

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/terryreds-ffmpeg-video-converter-scripts/

redrooster
                  Participant
                    @redrooster

I’ll just reiterate that i love PUP, as a front end, and I do like the videos and such.  Makes the table cool for everyone else but me, as i’m the only person I know that cares about pinball, let alone virtual pinball, which essentially no one else understands.  So…i do what i can to help make it cooler and more fun for my kids and guests, i feel PUP helps accomplish that.  And you said you need an easy menu to navigate, I feel PUP is way ahead of PBX on that front, and being able to record my own media straight from the front end itself was huge for me in making the menu look way better than anything I had setup in PBX.

I will state that while there are numerous amazing things about install videos and tutorials, there is just as much “well they should know this part” going on, but, that’s with anything.  For example…SSF.  I don’t know if i need DOFlinx for all tables, or just FX3, the whole idea of a 7.1 sound card is new to me, am i going to be able to just use headphone jacks into these amps for inputs?  Things like that, which for me, are anything but “i should know.”  I’m probably in the minority not being in IT or having any experience or background in IT or gaming, so even things which are probably very minimal to others are a struggle for me.  And with all of that being said, i figured it out, even got color DMD’s working yesterday on a bit of guesswork and reading.  So…i again recommend PUP, and would secondly recommend the PUP facebook group if you’re up for that.  Things get answered over there very quickly, TerryRed above has saved me countless times.

Now…onto this SSF thing…

smellar
                    Participant
                      @smellar

@TerryRed: I’ll start by noting that a post about an opinion of the PinUp System product – a user’s initial experiences with it, and constructive observations on the presentation of it to the community – shouldn’t really attract a reply that closes with polite patronising about the poster’s ability to research and troubleshoot configuration issues themselves.  Felt unnecessary and frankly inappropriate from a moderator.

However thank you for the clarification about the components, it now mostly makes sense.  Not so much with the PUP-SSF thing frankly, but I have SSF working with VPX and you state that PinUp won’t affect that, so that’s enough for me.  It’s Popper that I was exploring since the management of tables in PBX is so cumbersome.

I don’t doubt that some people do see recording their own videos as very cool, but to my mind it’s just taking up space on my SSD when a simple picture of the playfield is enough to remember the table.  Incidentally it wasn’t videos I’m seeing rotated in PinUp, it’s the playfield images I’ve been using in PBX and was trying to re-use in PinUp.  No doubt I’ve missed an option somewhere to set the orientation of the image so I’ll look through things again, and as a last resort I can just batch rotate them all in an image editor.

@RedRooster
                      : Sounds like PinUp is working well for you  :yes: Gives me incentive to stick at it to try to overcome the initial stumbling blocks i’ve struck.

As for your questions about SSF and DOFlinx I can’t offer any advice as I don’t run FX3 sorry.  Hopefully another member can point you in the right direction.  Good luck with getting it all going!

Oh and cheers for the advice about the FB page :good:

TerryRed
                        @terryred

@terryred: I’ll start by noting that a post about an opinion of the PinUp System product – a user’s initial experiences with it, and constructive observations on the presentation of it to the community – shouldn’t really attract a reply that closes with polite patronising about the poster’s ability to research and troubleshoot configuration issues themselves. Felt unnecessary and frankly inappropriate from a moderator.

However thank you for the clarification about the components, it now mostly makes sense. Not so much with the PUP-SSF thing frankly, but I have SSF working with VPX and you state that PinUp won’t affect that, so that’s enough for me. It’s Popper that I was exploring since the management of tables in PBX is so cumbersome.

I don’t doubt that some people do see recording their own videos as very cool, but to my mind it’s just taking up space on my SSD when a simple picture of the playfield is enough to remember the table. Incidentally it wasn’t videos I’m seeing rotated in PinUp, it’s the playfield images I’ve been using in PBX and was trying to re-use in PinUp. No doubt I’ve missed an option somewhere to set the orientation of the image so I’ll look through things again, and as a last resort I can just batch rotate them all in an image editor.

@redrooster: Sounds like PinUp is working well for you :yes: Gives me incentive to stick at it to try to overcome the initial stumbling blocks i’ve struck.

As for your questions about SSF and DOFlinx I can’t offer any advice as I don’t run FX3 sorry. Hopefully another member can point you in the right direction. Good luck with getting it all going!

Oh and cheers for the advice about the FB page :good:

Sadly…my FFMPEG scripts won’t help converting “from” images to rotated images. It seems to only work converting “from” videos to images. :(

If anyone can help figure that out with FFMPEG…I’ll gladly add that option.

Honestly yesterday was one of “those” days…not just with myself either…and if you think my comments are unbecoming of a Moderator… well you haven’t seen Haunt Freak’s posts. :)

I have no problems with opinions. When you use words like “useless videos”, and you want a “simple” front end without fancy features…then go find one and stop complaining about programs that aren’t suited for what you want.  Not exactly a way to inspire programmers who give up 100’s of hours. If you don’t like it…that’s fine.  Maybe be more considerate with your own words as well.

As for PuP-SSF…not sure what your are still confused about?

Pinup Player can output sounds to any channel of your “DEFAULT” sound device (as set in windows). It’s not anything more than that. For FX3…I’m outputting pinball mechanical sounds on the surround and rear channels of your 7.1 card (front speakers are game audio), or your front and rear channels of a 5.1 card.

Popper is not a noob front end to setup…but its not difficult either. With more options comes more required understanding of what you are using.

If you are trying to use it in portrait…well that requires a bunch of work to change everything in Popper’s setup. Since I don’t have a portrait setup…I can’t easily help with that.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        redrooster
                        Participant
                          @redrooster

So, my (hopefully) basic questions are…

DOFLinx is a must for FX3 to make SSF work, but VPX, just using the SSF Scripts is enough, i don’t need DOFLinx for VPX to make SSF work?  What about FP?  VP9?

And if the answer to the above is yes, i can launch DOFLinx so that it works with my FX3 tables, but ignores the others so that they just run as normal?

redrooster
                          Participant
                            @redrooster

Oh, and regarding anything else in this thread, I see all sides/angles or what have you.  I understand being a bit sensitive about your programs/development because you work your ass off for free, so the only real “pay” is recognition and accolades.  But i also see that just because someone has some complaints about it, it’s not intended to be personal.

I’m learning that between the few facebook groups and the “other” sites, the level of asshole around here and the PUP facebook is quite low compared to the rest.  I appreciate that as well.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                            TerryRed
                              @terryred

So, my (hopefully) basic questions are…

DOFLinx is a must for FX3 to make SSF work, but VPX, just using the SSF Scripts is enough, i don’t need DOFLinx for VPX to make SSF work? What about FP? VP9?

And if the answer to the above is yes, i can launch DOFLinx so that it works with my FX3 tables, but ignores the others so that they just run as normal?

VPX, VP9 doesn’t use or require DOFLinx at all…for anything.

Simply put… for FP and FX3…ALL feedback requires DOFLinx.

For FX3….feedback and lighting in a cab requires DOFLinx. For SSF in FX3, you need DOFLinx AND Pinup Player. DOFLinx triggers PuP to play SSF sounds.

For FP….feedback and lighting in a cab requires DOFLinx. For SSF in FP, you need DOFLinx AND Pinup Player. DOFLinx triggers PuP to play SSF sounds. The FP table needs to have PUP_SSF added into the script of the table.

DOFLinx runs all the time in the background…and stays “asleep” until either FP or FX3 are run…then it will detect them and “wake” and do what it does.

redrooster
                              Participant
                                @redrooster

Thank you, and i’m sure to have more questions once everything arrives (ideally on Saturday).

smellar
                                Participant
                                  @smellar

Sadly…my FFMPEG scripts won’t help converting “from” images to rotated images. It seems to only work converting “from” videos to images. :( If anyone can help figure that out with FFMPEG…I’ll gladly add that option.

Honestly yesterday was one of “those” days…not just with myself either…and if you think my comments are unbecoming of a Moderator… well you haven’t seen Haunt Freak’s posts. :)

I have no problems with opinions. When you use words like “useless videos”, and you want a “simple” front end without fancy features…then go find one and stop complaining about programs that aren’t suited for what you want. Not exactly a way to inspire programmers who give up 100’s of hours. If you don’t like it…that’s fine. Maybe be more considerate with your own words as well.

As for PuP-SSF…not sure what your are still confused about? Pinup Player can output sounds to any channel of your “DEFAULT” sound device (as set in windows). It’s not anything more than that. For FX3…I’m outputting pinball mechanical sounds on the surround and rear channels of your 7.1 card (front speakers are game audio), or your front and rear channels of a 5.1 card.

Popper is not a noob front end to setup…but its not difficult either. With more options comes more required understanding of what you are using. If you are trying to use it in portrait…well that requires a bunch of work to change everything in Popper’s setup. Since I don’t have a portrait setup…I can’t easily help with that.

All good – I wrote a script to batch convert them with Gimp. And haha no, I’ve seen some of Haunt’s  :-)

I only meant that such videos were of no use to me because I aim for a minimalist experience on my cab – I see it as more about the playing than the bling! And the same with the “simple” reference – I was meaning the ability to configure it to be dead simple to use, not that had to be simple to configure.  I’m a coder too, so I’d never disparage the effort that I know will have gone into writing these apps.  Nothing I said was directed personally at anyone, but your point is good and probably I could have considered how they might be taken if seen from a different context.

Aha, I think I get it now! The PUP-SSF thing is about recordings of gameplay not using both sound sources, not about changing SSF in the game itself when playing it.

No, I run my cab landscape facing left as is always recommended. And fair enough, flexibility brings complexity … I just need to stick at it until I get that “aha!” moment and eveything falls into place lol.

I’m learning that between the few facebook groups and the “other” sites, the level of asshole around here and the PUP facebook is quite low compared to the rest. I appreciate that as well.

Ain’t that the truth :-(   Certain other forums really seem to bring the worst egotistical morons out of their basements and into the light ready to crap on everybody about anything!

CarnyPriest
                                  Participant
                                    @carnypriest

For images – the scripts can be tweaked to use ImageMagick as the engine for scaling and rotating images

https://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

TerryRed
                                      @terryred

For images – the scripts can be tweaked to use ImageMagick as the engine for scaling and rotating images

https://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Any progress on your cab repairs Carney?

CarnyPriest
                                      Participant
                                        @carnypriest

Got playfield TV up and running last month. Updated software and a few tables. TV had shut itself off. Can’t get it back up. Probably some blown capacitors. It will start up again if I let it sit a few weeks. If I want to repair the TV, I have to disassemble the cab. If I have to disassemble the cab then I might as well upgrade to 4K. Have to get some cash. And make myself a place to work. I have too little house and/or too much shit. Between the projects started and not completed between my wife and I, it’s a hoarders starter kit around here. In the meantime, I figure I’ll pull my ArtNet controller out and figure out how to get some DMX fixtures working with DOF. I have a couple of xenon strobe lamps that should do quite well, I think. I’ve finished with all of the instruction card repros.

TerryRed
                                          @terryred

Got playfield TV up and running last month. Updated software and a few tables. TV had shut itself off. Can’t get it back up. Probably some blown capacitors. It will start up again if I let it sit a few weeks. If I want to repair the TV, I have to disassemble the cab. If I have to disassemble the cab then I might as well upgrade to 4K. Have to get some cash. And make myself a place to work. I have too little house and/or too much shit. Between the projects started and not completed between my wife and I, it’s a hoarders starter kit around here. In the meantime, I figure I’ll pull my ArtNet controller out and figure out how to get some DMX fixtures working with DOF. I have a couple of xenon strobe lamps that should do quite well, I think. I’ve finished with all of the instruction card repros.

Well with popper you can use those instruction cards built into the front end and also while playing….no need for any extra scripts…etc…ive seen some others do, and it looks good.

CarnyPriest
                                          Participant
                                            @carnypriest

Yes, figured it would be a relatively easy conversion of png and swf media to a video slideshow. But I wasn’t sure about what happens with exclusive full screen. I had been displaying as windows on top of the playfield window in VP9. And instructions were an add-on to mirroring the dmd on the apron. Not compatible with VPX exclusive full screen which I’d rather keep for performance.

If nothing else, my next step was to just use an old iPhone as a display that I could place above my lockbar and use Duet Display add to my desktop. But I have a ton of other tasks for the cab.

Yes, kind of off-topic. I’ve been doing the old TV speaker for cabinet noise solution. I have an old PC mini-amp 5.1 system that I was going to add but that was well before SSF. We’ll see.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?