SSFImpactor User Guide

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    MisterKai
    Participant
      @mrkai

Hi There!

Attached is the User Guide for the upcoming release of the SSFImpactor for DirectOutput, in PDF and ePub formats. Also include in the zip is the “pre-release” version of the DirectOutput.dll and Bs2 plugin that supports the version of the SSFImpactor documented – it is “in the queue/has been submitted” for inclusion in the next “R3++ Grand Unified” release.

NB: The files and documentation included do *not* apply to the version currently installed by the R3++ installer. If you wish to try out the SSFImpactor on your cab before that is released, use the files included here. They match all of the features and functionality for other DOF devices but add new features to SSFImpactor that make it more flexible.

The “main discussion and development” for the SSFImpactor has taken place elsewhere, sorry about that :) I was “away from vpins” for awhile and this group looks like it was established/”blew up” during that time. We can move a lot of that here :)

Rusty, Rob or myself should be able to answer any questions you may have about setting this up on your system. If you have NO DOF stuff at all, it’s actually the easiest DOF Out-of-the-Box experience…ever :)

Some of you may be wondering what the heck this is all about – the beginning of the guide explains it, but for those that like to see things, have a look at the video below for some context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vke2ppHG-pM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDuzUsbo4s

Attachments:
      Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Oh thank god I don’t have to crawl old rubbish posts on Facebook. Thank you guys for at least posting the useful stuff here ! :rose:

williamsbg03
        Participant
          @williamsbg03

Hey guys,

Thank you for the awesome work.  I followed the guide and was able to get impact sounds working.  The one issue I have is that the impact levels in the cabinet.xml file aren’t applying.  I dropped the levels to 10 on all items and yet the motor noise for the bookcase on TAF and t-rex on JUPK are extremely loud.  Any thoughts to why the levels aren’t being applied?  My cabinet.xml and GlobalConfig_B2SServer.xml were taken directly from the files with the guide.

Brad

snakerake
          Participant
            @snakerake

Hi!

I’m trying to get this going on my cabinet running Windows 7 but I’m having some trouble.  I followed the setup as outlined in the guide – but when I load a table nothing is really happening.  I didn’t have a dof setup previously so I just did the MSI installer from mrjnet. It looks like there is some trouble with the bass.dll and DOF doesn’t know what tables use which rom files.  Any ideas what I should try to get it running?  A copy of my log file is attached – but I think the important bits are:

2019.06.26 23:39:08.076 Loading table config
            2019.06.26 23:39:08.077 Warning: No table config file found. Will try to load config from LedControl file(s).
            2019.06.26 23:39:08.077 Cant load config from directoutput.ini or ledcontrol.ini file(s) since no RomName was supplied. No ledcontrol config will be loaded.
            2019.06.26 23:39:08.077 Table config loading finished: romname=, tablename=Masters of the Universe beta 0_9a
            2019.06.26 23:39:08.078 Pinball parts loaded
            2019.06.26 23:39:08.078 Starting processes
            2019.06.26 23:39:08.079 Initializing cabinet
            2019.06.26 23:39:08.079 Debug: Initializing output controllers
            2019.06.26 23:39:08.084 Could Not Initialze Bass. SSFImpactor disabled for events.
            2019.06.26 23:39:08.085 Could Not Initialze Bass – Unable to load DLL ‘bass’: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

Attachments:
            JLLL
            Participant
              @jlouloulou

Hi all,

I have SSF Impactor installing on my cab. It works in game.. But I can’t configure it.. .Change value in Cabinet.xml do nothing. Also, use DirectOutput Configuration tester like in the guide not working too… I make a fresh install of DOF… Nothing change. As anyone as same issues?

bschaberg21
              Participant
                @bschaberg21

I’m getting the following message when I run a table now after installing ssf impactor. Any thoughts?

bass music/sound library initialization error 14

BSchaberg21

byrneaar
                Participant
                  @byrneaar

Whoever wrote the guide can you take a pic of how you mounted the TT25-8 Puck.  You noted it needs some rings but, the website states it only reqiures 6 #6 wood/metal screws.

Thanks!

Ashram56
                  Participant
                    @ashram56

Hi!

I’m trying to get this going on my cabinet running Windows 7 but I’m having some trouble.  I followed the setup as outlined in the guide – but when I load a table nothing is really happening.  I didn’t have a dof setup previously so I just did the MSI installer from mrjnet. It looks like there is some trouble with the bass.dll and DOF doesn’t know what tables use which rom files.  Any ideas what I should try to get it running?  A copy of my log file is attached – but I think the important bits are:

2019.06.26 23:39:08.076 Loading table config
                    2019.06.26 23:39:08.077 Warning: No table config file found. Will try to load config from LedControl file(s).
                    2019.06.26 23:39:08.077 Cant load config from directoutput.ini or ledcontrol.ini file(s) since no RomName was supplied. No ledcontrol config will be loaded.
                    2019.06.26 23:39:08.077 Table config loading finished: romname=, tablename=Masters of the Universe beta 0_9a
                    2019.06.26 23:39:08.078 Pinball parts loaded
                    2019.06.26 23:39:08.078 Starting processes
                    2019.06.26 23:39:08.079 Initializing cabinet
                    2019.06.26 23:39:08.079 Debug: Initializing output controllers
                    2019.06.26 23:39:08.084 Could Not Initialze Bass. SSFImpactor disabled for events.
                    2019.06.26 23:39:08.085 Could Not Initialze Bass – Unable to load DLL ‘bass’: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

Attachments:

I have the exact same issue. Same log error on BASS

Can someone with a working setup take a quick look at their Directouput folder, and see if there is a bass.dll or similar ? Even better, can you please zip your Directoutput folder so we can see if there is a file discrepancy ?

Ashram56
                    Participant
                      @ashram56

So I did a Google search, and found out that bass.dll is an audio SW component from this company: https://www.un4seen.com/

Downloaded the bass application, which is actually a DLL plus sample code, put the bass.dll in the DirectOutput folder, and voila, the test tool works…

snakerake
                      Participant
                        @snakerake

I was able to resolve the issue by editing one of those ini files to match the table names with the same file names in my tables folder.

Ashram56
                        Participant
                          @ashram56

So, while I was able to run the test tool, the results are somewhat mixed

I can get a small response from the exciters, but nothing that would really make them feel like a bumper or a flipper.

To test it, I disabled sound output in DOF settings of VPX, and kept only the DOF output. Bumpers did work, but very low volume, and with no impact.

I modified the cabinet file, increasing all values to 100, no change

I do not have a bass exciter, could this be the reason?

Regards

snakerake
                          Participant
                            @snakerake

Yeah. Bass shaker/exciter makes a huge difference. I just upgraded to better amps and added a bass shaker, now it feels real.

Ashram56
                            Participant
                              @ashram56

What I do not quite get is why the result would be so different from a regular ssf implementation (ie without ssf impactor)

Specifically: with regular ssf, on supported tables, I get ball movement feeling, bumpers, flippers, singers, etc (and I don’t have a bass shaker).

With ssf impactor, if I disable sound output in DOF control, I get no response from flippers, very little from bumpers.

I would have thought that response would be somewhat similar, Ssf Impactor would simply add DOF capabilities (meaning no need for supported SSF tables, just DOF tables – and a side consequence would be ootb PBFX3 support for exemple without the need for Terry Red SSF PuP packs for PBFX3)

So does SSF impactor requires a bass exciter to feel equivalent to a regular SSF implementation?

Also snakerake, could you please provide more lights on your statement, ie ‘I edited the init file to match the table name’? Does this mean you did not need to download separately bass.dll (and so you don’t have it in your directoutput folder)?

Many thanks

Regards

[EDIT] Found out why I had so little physical response… Simply because VPX was not triggering DOF (long story short, I don’t have any other toys, and I had installed DOFR3 for PBFX3 and FP before installing VPX, so the shortcut in the plugins folder had not been created…).

So now I do get a physical response from flippers, slingers, bumpers.

But a few things are still odd (using DOF only output):

• There is a lot of “double action”, meaning it sounds like there is an echo in the mechanical sound, especially in flippers sound
                              • The virtual solenoids activation sometime does not seem synchronized with the action on screen

Most of this disappears when using DOF+SoundFX, but in that case I don’t see/feel any difference with a regular SSF implementation (pre SSFImpacctor).

Sidenote: I’m also trying to get this virtual toy controller to work with DOFlinx, by assigning correct device/port in DOFLinx.ini, but this does not seem to work. Still trying to debug…

matlo74
                              Participant
                                @matlo74

Hi

One point I didn’t understand in the guide (english is not my mother tongue).

I already have a dof configured for toys (flippers with contactors, shaker and knocker). In DOFConfigtool, my device is a KL25Z.

In page 12 it says “3. Change the number of LEDWiz devices in your system”. What does it mean ? Add a new virtual device or can we use the same ?

thanks for helping

Mat

T.J.
                                Participant
                                  @t-j

Hi,
                                  the <FrontExciters> tag is mentioned twice in the user guide. Is this just a mistake or should there be another tag intead of the 2nd one?
                                  Thanks

Attachments:
                                  topper-2k
                                  Participant
                                    @topper-2k

Will SSF Impactor work in a setup where there is a subwoofer that’s shared between table and backglass? I’m mostly interested in using Impactor to replicate a shaker motor.

I’m using what I think is usually referred to as “the Rob method” for sharing my sub (https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/welcome-to-the-new-ssf-surround-sound-feedback-forum-2/page/2/#post-95768). It uses some commands in PeaceUI to copy the low frequency sounds from the rear and side channels and put them into the .1 output of the backglass amplifier.

So in my setup, I’d have:

• 2.1 amp driving backglass and subwoofer
                                    • 2.0 amp driving front exciters
                                    • 2.1 amp driving rear exciters and a bass shaker

I guess I’m worried that the commands in PeaceUI would take part of the signal that’s meant to trigger the bass shaker via SSF Impactor and send them through the subwoofer. And I’m not entirely sure what that would do.

Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Would I need to stop sharing my subwoofer if I use SSF Impactor?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?