Star Wars Wedgehead

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

By now hopefully you have seen my VPX recreation of the fictitious 1978 Gottlieb Star Wars machine.  That vp table actually came about as a result of my plans to build a new full-size vp cab.  I like mostly older machines and have been planning for quite some time to build a wedgehead style cabinet.  I planned on doing actual sprayed stencils in period style and while looking at possible cabs decided I would come up with my own, and realized that Star Wars came out before Gottlieb stopped making wedgeheads, and being a fan of the original trilogy it was destiny.  And I decided as long as I was making a fictional cabinet i might as well make a table to go with it.  As it would turn out I had more time to start and finish the vpx recreation than I have for the physical cab, but that is now changed.

Armed with dimensions from allknowing2012 and gnance I created a 3d sketchup model of actual early and late model wedgehead cabs, the later having more depth in the cabinet (vertically) and shorter legs.  the models can be found on sketchups 3d warehouse HERE:

earlywedge

I’m going to try and stick as close to that as I can, but will have a few major variations, mainly the main cabinet will be well short of the 52″ of the originals as I want to fit it to the playfield monitor.

Attachments:
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

You a dof guy? Cab builds are so neat to watch!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

I ended up going with a 41.5″ 4K TV for the playfield and a 39″ 4K TV for the backglass (although I’m probably going to run the backglass at 1080p).

2016-07-14-16.31.29

The 39″ decased very nicely and is the perfect size for the backglass, oriented vertically if you haven’t figured that out yet.  the 42″ as they call it however could not be decased beyond removal of the speaker section, and they lied about the dimensions.  Seiki stated 21.2″ for the height without stand, and it’s actually 21.75″.  21.2″ would have left me with a comfortable 3/8″ of wood on either side for the cabinet, the actual 21.75″ is going to leave me with a meager 1/8″ of wood on either side without going to a wider cab, which I do not want to do as I have the parts, lockdown bar etc, for a 22″ cabinet.  After thinking about it a while I decided that with the 3″ tall gottlieb side rails they would provide enough support to the box to make the whoel thing nice and sound.. i hope.. we’ll find out later   :unsure:

BorgDog
          Participant
            @borgdog
            MemberContributorvip

You a dof guy? Cab builds are so neat to watch!

Oh, yeah, DOF is coming!

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

For a computer to run this I’m kind of going for overkill.  My thought is i need at least 1 really good machine in the house in case I decide to go for VR, which I plan to someday.

MSI Arsenal Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboard (Z170M Mortar)

Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600) C16 Memory – can easily add another 16GB if needed later.

ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8G-Gaming – nice thing on this card is it has 2 HDMI in addition to the 2 displayports and the DVI

And of course power supply and other bits.  Re-using a 256GB SSD I had in my laptop that I upgraded.

Before graphics card, loading Windows 10:

2016-06-12-13.05.29
              <h1 id=”grpDescrip_h” style=”margin: 0px 0px 0.8em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 23px; line-height: 1.1; color: #222222; letter-spacing: -1px;”></h1>

BorgDog
              Participant
                @borgdog
                MemberContributorvip

A few of the DOF toys being added, along with some cheap solenoids until I get more real parts.  the chimes, knockers, and flipper mechs are all from Gottlieb system 1 machines and originally ran off 25 volts so they will do great on the 24 volt power supply I got for this.  Some of the other misc cabinet parts in the background.

robertms
                Participant
                  @mophead

Love your mouse pad Borg ;-)

BorgDog
                  Participant
                    @borgdog
                    MemberContributorvip

Yesterday I got started cutting wood, and lots of head scratching and measuring and today I pretty much have the backbox completed.  Did a test fit for the monitor at some point in there, but did not get a picture of that.  there will be a piece of glass in front of the monitor.  you can see one of the other major deviations from the wedgehead design here in the pedistal.  In order to have the monitor be as close to the glass as possible the backbox does not have as large of overhang in the front, just 1/4″ space for glass.  Most of the pedestal in the picture will actually be in the main cabinet, only about the top 2″ showing.  The front frame and tapered part are removable to actually get the monitor in and out through the front.

2016-07-16-17.14.24

And that brings us to where we are now.  Tomorrow I will do a bit more work on the backbox then get started on the main cabinet, which I believe will be about 4″ shorter than the 52″ of the real ones, but I will recalculate that before cutting  :bye:

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

Love your mouse pad Borg ;-)

LOL I wondered if anyone would notice that.

Sliderpoint
                      Participant
                        @sliderpoint
                        MemberContributor

Hey I got a mouse pad like that.  $40 on ebay!

-Mike

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

LMAO! hey those are very nice pads! seriously :)

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

I will add you got good wood working skills. Looking forward to more progress. Did you say you were stencil the cab? Or decal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                            Participant
                              @borgdog
                              MemberContributorvip

Thanks been working with wood a lot longer than I’ve been pinballing, it’s a fun hobby as well.  Going to stencil the cab, still working on the final design, but think light sabers, x-wing and tie fighters and droids.

edit:  and maybe a storm trooper.  cab will be black with white speckles (if I can figure that part out) instead of the standard Gottlieb white with black speckles.  I figure the color theme will be kind of space with stars looking, if you squint :)

BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

Didn’t get as much done today as I had planned on, found out some knuckle-head had a math error yesterday so had to redo a piece on the backbox.  Fortunately on the backside, none of the tricky ones, just needed to extend a piece down an inch, but that did change the shape of the piece.. blah blah blah.  Anyway, got a start on the main box today, triple-quadruple checked my math as I don’t have enough wood to redo the main cabinet sides.  Got them test fit together with clamps holding the main box.  Spent a bit of time laying out the coin door opening and holes I needed in the front for the lockdown receiver.  Ready to cut all that out tomorrow, then need to cut a 45 on the front corners, put a few dadoes in all sides, fit a bottom piece, cut an opening in the back for an access door, but will not have enough clearance to slide the computer out the back like most because of the backglass monitor hanging down so far.

Most of the trim pieces, side rails, legs, lockdown bar, coin door, etc are all used ones that need cleaning up, so that will be going on once paint is drying on the wood parts, hopefully in a couple days, still on summer vacation  :-)

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

Looking good! Real good!

for IOS and Android

robertms
                                  Participant
                                    @mophead

Lookin great Borg, very cool design for a vpin.

Ben Logan2
                                    Participant
                                      @benlogan2

Wow, Borgdog. Amazing woodwork. Looks so beautiful. I’m envious of your skill! Thanks for showing your work. Keep us updated. :D

senseless
                                      Participant
                                        @senseless

Nice looking cab you got there. Good theme and will follow you as you make your progress. Are you going for the same art style as the table? I love the comic style with this one.

BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

The artwork will be stencil sprayed so will be a lot more simplistic, 2 or maybe 3 colors max.  I kind of like the scene I put on the dmd of the tie fighter shooting at the x-wing, a version of that might make good side art.  Any artists out there come up with some good ideas let me know, still wide open on that front and art is not my strong suit.

takut
                                          Participant
                                            @takut
                                            MemberContributor

A few of the DOF toys being added, along with some cheap solenoids until I get more real parts. the chimes, knockers, and flipper mechs are all from Gottlieb system 1 machines and originally ran off 25 volts so they will do great on the 24 volt power supply I got for this. Some of the other misc cabinet parts in the background.

Great, I also like real pinball parts installed into the VPin.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 176 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?