Star Wars Wedgehead

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

Made some progress today, only had to remake one part.   :unsure:

Test fit of the coin door:

2016-07-18-11.07.35

and test fit the playfield monitor with the backbox  and the side rails after making a bunch of dadoes.  Fitting a 41.5″ display without being able to decase it into a standard 22″ cab is damn difficult!  i think it’s worth it however, full width of the box is display (except a tiny bit on one side as the bezels are not even) and the cab is only 4″ shorter than a real one.

2016-07-18-16.35.02

Should look real nice sitting next to this, once this arrives from across the country and I’m done building the vpin:

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Arrives!? Did you get it?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

Yup! I now own a pinball machine 3000 miles away  :wacko:  Getting the shipping worked out, almost there.

I may need to diversify a bit though, I now own 4 gottliebs, 2-1977, a 1978 and a 1979.  2 are ems and 2 are system 1.  I do plan on selling the other ’77 (Vulcan) after the Golden Arrow arrives however, only have room for 4 machines including the vpin i’m building.

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Well congrats!  :good:

for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
              @hauntfreaks
              vipContributorMember

that is some good lookin woodworking….

some weirdo’s have it slide out the front…. <wink wink>

senseless
              Participant
                @senseless

Haha I slide it out of the back :). To be quite honest I never use it.. Nice looking videocard too.

@BorgDog
                : congrats on the new real pin and impressed on the space you got there for building the pincab :). I’m a bit jealous. Since we moved I have to do the woodwork on dry days in front of the house as I don’t have a separate garage any more. How does  the stencil process go, is it difficult to apply?

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

Thanks, the shop space was one of the main reasons we bought this house, that and it’s a cheap fixer.

I have not done stencil before, but I’ve been told that Gottlieb originally had the stencils made out of thin metal and they just laid it on the cabinet and sprayed.  That’s why they usually have some overspray/fuzziness around the edge.  Most of the people on pinside I’ve seen do stencils now use a low tack sheet they stick on then spray.  It gives a much sharper edge.  I plan on going more toward the original method, only out of poster board since I’ll only have to use each one twice, once for each side of the cabinet.

BorgDog
                  Participant
                    @borgdog
                    MemberContributorvip

Had some other projects to get done today so didn’t spend a lot of time on the cab, but hit some milestones.

Main wood work is done!  Minor stuff like holes for flippers and back doors and such, but the cabinet is fully assembled and no clamps required, pocket screws are my friend.  Going to start on prime and paint tomorrow, did some sanding today.

2016-07-19-16.12.51

My graphics card arrived today, ASUS GTX 1070, what a beast!  got the computer hooked up to both displays, running 4k on both of them (60hz on playfield, backbox only does 30hz) and OMFG!  With all the high settings turned on brute force 4x AA, in-game ambient… blah blah, this looks absolutely f’in amazing!  Go 4k you won’t regret it.  I have not tried true full screen yet either, some other time, need to get the cabinet together.

Here it is playing it’s namesake.

2016-07-19-21.31.53

And here is a crappy lo res picture I took with my cell phone of just a tiny portion of the playfield.  It looks better in person, I think most of the jaggies on here is the picture not the monitor.  I am awed.  and the system plays it without even breathing hard, forgot to look at the fps, but the fans on the graphics card barely even turned on, no hiccups, no stutter, no lag that I detected, I am one happy guy.

2016-07-19-21.33.03

I’ll load up some more demanding games tomorrow and see how they do, and I’ll try to remember to get fps as well.  Need to hook up some sound as well, no speakers left in the tv’s.

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Wow! Great tv’s and video card! Cab looking good!

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                      Participant
                        @borgdog
                        MemberContributorvip

Spent some time today futzing around with my lockdown bar.  sometime in the 70s Gottlieb switched from one with screw in adjustable pins to one with shark fins as the mechanism for latching.  Well in my misc parts buys I ended up with the lockdown receiver for the older type with the pins, but a lockdown bar with the shark fins.  It didn’t take me long to find out that the others sides of both those pieces (especially the bars with pins) are unobtanium through regular channels.  I had no luck in the ebays or pinsides etc finding one of the missing pieces so I decided to make mine fit together.  Short version, cut off the fins, make a filler strip that is drilled and tapped for the screw in pins, do a little welding, and presto two pieces that fit together!

2016-07-21-13.25.22

Test fit into cabinet to make sure you did it right and all is good to go!

2016-07-21-13.18.01

You may also notice the cabinet is also in primer, and the inside is actually painted white.  No pictures, but the outside now has it’s first coat of black paint on as well.  It’s going to sit that way for a couple days as I actually have to go to work tomorrow for a special project, but back on summer vacation the day after.

Again no pictures but the used rusty legs have been evaporusted, wire wheeled, sanded, had an extra nut welded on for more threads, given a coat of “silver” hammered krylon and are currently hanging in the shop curing like a slab of beef.

The rest of the metal pieces have all been cleaned and made nice again, although some pitting from the rust is still there, but that’s called “character”.  the coin door is soaking in evaporust and will be Saturday’s project along with the second coat of black. time to get the stencils figured out, still have the stipples (little dots) to do as well.

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

This can’t be real time!? If it is you are making great progress. Great work on that lockbar btw.  Keep it up and will be finished in no time  B-)

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                          Participant
                            @borgdog
                            MemberContributorvip

Yup, real time :)  I work at a elementary school, we are on summer break so I have time, I love my job.   :good:  Had to work today though so not much done on the cab.

Played around with the computer setup today, figured out neither of the monitors remember their power state, but the backglass one at least works with just the zip tie on, so it is zip tied.  The playfield tv however I did the little timer relay thing.  Ended up having to be programmed to turn it on after 15 seconds after power comes on.  For those that may not be familiar it’s basically figure out which two contacts on the back of the power button work to turn it on, solder wires to those two, and at the other end put THIS relay (or one like it).  Connect the programmable to 12v from the computer power supply then program it to energize the relay after a period of time after the power comes on (the 15 seconds in my case), tell it how long to leave it open (I did 2 seconds and it seemed to work fine), then de-energize the relay.  Thats it.  It is function 3 on this particular model, it has 18 different functions it can do.  You can also get those programmable relays on ebay from China for less than half the cost if you don’t mind waiting for the slow boat.

Also hooked up the new cheap little speaker system I got for it.  Wanted something small, went with the Logitech Z213 2.1 system for in the main cab and plan on using the speakers that I pulled from the backglass TV in the backglass just hooked to their original wiring so i don’t need another amp up there, and less wires.  I figure this should work fine as mostly I play em and early SS tables and there is just not a lot happening on those speakers, and hopefully most of the noise is coming from the DOF toys I’m going to add, especially on the em tables.  I did try Metallica with that setup and of course the music and call outs come out the backglass as they would on a dmd machine.  the little TV speakers are a little weak for that application, but I think i can handle it.  Can always update later.

That’s it for today, no pictures.  Back to painting the cab tomorrow, and cleaning up the coin door and putting it’s mechanicals back together somewhat so I can use the 4 buttons on the door as the only interface buttons on the cab.

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

No pictures!  :negative:  :) good job on relay I always make sure the tv I get remembers power state you sure it has no setting for that? You would know I’m sure but sometimes it’s in menu 3 things deep. Your making great progress that’s for sure! Keep it up

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

Well, that would take all the fun out of things.  Honestly I forgot to look for it on this one… Be back in a bit.

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

Well!?!?

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                                  Participant
                                    @borgdog
                                    MemberContributorvip

LOL patience grasshopper.

Nope, no such option in the menus I can find, so this will have to do.  More cables.

Whilst you were waiting I also put another coat of black on the cab, and pulled the now very nice coin door out of the evaporust.  Wasn’t really a lot of rust on it, more just gunk and residue but it seemed to clean that up as well.  Pics, because  :yes:

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

Tv sure fits nice! Was worth a look for power setting at least. Surprised it don’t have option but some just don’t

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                                      Participant
                                        @borgdog
                                        MemberContributorvip

Not the most expensive TV, but had decent reviews once the proper firmware is installed.  Playfield is a Seiki SE42UM around $300, backglass is a Seiki SE39UY04 that is now discontinued but I got for a black friday deal for around $200.  the 39″ was talked about a lot on VPF as it does 120hz at 1080p, only does 30hz at 2160p though.  The 42(41.5″) does 60hz at 2160p, and just a hint, turning on forced 4x AA puts a big hurt on fps at that resolution.

BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

Speckles anyone.. No Starfield!  yeah it’s a starfield  :yahoo:

2016-07-24-13.07.57

2016-07-24-13.08.30

Also got the coin door buttons installed and switches modified for use.  Need to get some connectors and wire it up.

2016-07-24-13.09.18

2016-07-24-13.09.41

BorgDog
                                          Participant
                                            @borgdog
                                            MemberContributorvip

Next up I need to get the stencils figured out.  Still up in the air on this and could use some input/ideas from you all.

Here is the dimensions of the cab and head.

BadDogGraphics

And here are a few examples of the era style and level of detail graphics I’m going for, of course Star Wars theme:

Buccaneerb
                                            dragon
                                            skyjump

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 176 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?