Star Wars Wedgehead

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

I plan to run all this through 2 sainsmart usb relays.  We’ll see how it goes when I get things hooked up, if I didn’t already have them I would probably go with mjr’s expansion boards and spend a lot more time perfecting my soldering :)

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

I don’t think you will like the relays. Now for strobes they relays are perfect as they sound like the flashers on older pinball machines and sound just like real pin! But for flippers and slings the clicking will drive you nuts. It really adds an extra sound to it. For chime and knocker its ok but not bumpers, slings and flippers. But you can judge for yourself. You may like it who knows. ;)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

I don’t think you will like the relays. Now for strobes they relays are perfect as they sound like the flashers on older pinball machines and sound just like real pin! But for flippers and slings the clicking will drive you nuts. It really adds an extra sound to it. For chime and knocker its ok but not bumpers, slings and flippers. But you can judge for yourself. You may like it who knows. ;)

hmm, maybe I’ll put them in a sound proof box  B-)

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

That may work lol

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

Spent a little more time in the shop, wiring up the chimes, knocker and big bell.  Started on the bumpers as well, have them mounted on a board, need to wire them up as well.  Oh, and when I say wired up, it’s just the toy side that is being wired, all sections will be able to be disconnected via molex plugs.

Here is another video, like pictures only noisier :)

https://youtu.be/iueybbQJvIo

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

Very cool! love the chimes. I have a unit here but have yet to hook it up. sad to say ive had it for a year sitting just waiting to put in :) you may have inspired me to get it done

for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                  @terryred
                  MemberContributorModerator

I know some people don’t like Sainsmart because they worry about the relay noise.

I have a Sainsmart 16 relay non-USB. Maybe its because of my relay board’s location in my cabinet….but I can NEVER hear my relay’s clicking. The only time I could ever hear them is when I tested the relays before installing my solenoids. I’ve had no issues with my Sainsmart either…though if I would have known that DOFLinx would come to life to support FP with USB Sainsmart, then I would have just gone with the 8 port usb version and saved some ports on my LED-Wiz.

Now maybe in a smaller cabinet, it would be a different story.

After adding in DOFLinx support to FP tables…. I actually think we should be able to support up to 13 solenoids in a cabinet now. Having 3 at the bottom of the playfield screen….1 for kickback…1 for drain…and 1 for auto plunger. This would free up the flippers being used during multiball….which can be crazy in some tables.

BorgDog
                  Participant
                    @borgdog
                    MemberContributorvip

Was gone most of the long weekend NO so updates on the DOF toys, but did have a couple Gottlieb system 1 ladies follow me home to add to the lineup.  Had to purge storage to make a pinball annex to fit them in, and now have the wedgehead’s segregated from the System 1s.

This first girl is kind of bitchy, thinks she runs the place or something, personally I think she’s not what she’s cracked up to be.  :wacko:

2016-11-27-17.39.42

This second one is just happy cause she’s got a pony :-)   Damn hard to photograph with all the mirroring on the BG but the BG is in incredible shape and very nice artwork.   :good:

2016-11-28-00.49.31  2016-11-28-07.09.41
                    Both fully playable but each need some plastics and the playfields are kinda worn, but both fun to play.  will probably strip and clear both playfields at some point just to level out planking, cupped and raised inserts etc (oh and scans for vpx versions) but that is down the road a bit, for now wax and play the snot out of them!

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Very nice! I’ve replaced many cupped inserts very easy to do! But I will say replace all in area or they will never match when lit :good:

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                      Participant
                        @borgdog
                        MemberContributorvip

Spent a little more time out in the shop, got the pop bumpers wired up on a board.  Also got the 3 little solenoids mounted on a board but didn’t get them wired up yet.

Since pictures and videos are good, here is a test of the pop bumpers.

https://youtu.be/dNHg-wckzT8

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

Very nicely done!

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

robertms
                          Participant
                            @mophead

Badass. I want it!

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

You get any of that firing off with dof yet? I would love to see video!  That chime unit will be so cool

for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                                @terryred

Nothing beats using the real deal to emulate the real deal in an emulation….  :)

BorgDog
                                Participant
                                  @borgdog
                                  MemberContributorvip

You get any of that firing off with dof yet? I would love to see video! That chime unit will be so cool

Not yet, was busy playing/tinkering with the new machines this week, and up at the cabin playing Gilligan on the mini cab this weekend with 2 feet of fresh snow outside. will be working on it this week and next weekend. Will definitely get some video when the time comes.

BorgDog
                                  Participant
                                    @borgdog
                                    MemberContributorvip

minor update.  wired up the 3rd DOF bar last night with the 3 little mini-solenoids.  hopefully next update will have all this stuff in the cab :)

TerryRed
                                      @terryred

I have those same solenoids.   One thing you may want to consider is adding some sort of L bracket or other material to stop it from going engaging 100%, and also to allow you to get whatever sound you want.

I found that mine were sometimes getting “stuck” and would take 1 sec to disengage.  I used some plastic “L brackets”, and they sound better and never get stuck.

BorgDog
                                      Participant
                                        @borgdog
                                        MemberContributorvip

Yeah, I’ve seen various things on several different peoples builds for those.  I’m kind of waiting to see what they sound like when in the cab then will likely play around with different items for them to hit.  Hard part is knowing what I want them to sound like as they can represent different things, and having real toys for the rest, I will probably be doing some table remapping to get the bumper objects to use my actual bumpers etc even if they aren’t quite in the right spot… maybe. Still lots to do, never likely be done.

randr
                                        Keymaster
                                          @randr
                                          ModeratorMember

Looks good! Terry is right those suckers can fire fast with events and may stick a stop of any kind will be a good idea

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                                          Participant
                                            @borgdog
                                            MemberContributorvip

So been busy, made a roadtrip and brought home a new friend, it really is a sickness.  I’ve been wanting one of these for a while since Kriss and I played it at the pinball show last June.  Lots of fun and lots of potential for really big scoring.

2017-01-02-09.01.34

Got a little work done on the v-pincab, added those L brackets by popular demand, then fit all the parts into the cab.  Had to pull out and rearrange some of the stuff already in there (mainly the computer) to get it all to fit how I wanted, but it’s all in there.  Still need to wire it all to the sainsmarts, load DOF onto the computer and make it all work.

Question for all you folk who are more knowledgeable than I, do I need to worry about those pop bumper coils being so close to the computer (pic below)?  They sit about 2″ directly above the pc power supply and about 5-6″ forward of the graphics card.  The back and bottom of the brackets the coils are in are almost solid metal with only a couple small holes.  I don’t think it would be an issue given that, but what do I know  :wacko: pic of the pop bumper brackets down below in the attachments.

2017-01-08-17.28.42

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 176 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?