Stars (Stern 1978)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    32assassin
    Participant
      @32assassin
      double post

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

TGX
      Participant
        @tgxperience

I am just going by the game instruction card on the table. Lower right card in the apron.

“Red drop targets light 7,000 points when adjacent green targets are down.”

I was going to just write my own VBscript so it functions. I just thought maybe you knew

why it wasn’t lighting. Sounds like a missing feature. Just odd that it’s on the apron card.

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

It might very well be a dip setting or something in that direction. I think your on the wrong track if you decide to write code to make something that is referenced on the game rule card. It better to search for how to enabled it. Curious to know how you are going to add 7k to the rom score from a script. Hitting a switch that has a value of 1k seven time in a timer ? :whistle:

TGX
          Participant
            @tgxperience

I’m usually on the wrong track. I just kludge things together when they don’t work. Kind of the story of my life. I have this uncanny knack for finding broken things that apparently nobody else has ever seen or heard of. I usually report them to the author if possible. In any case, yes I was thinking of just tripping a 1.000 point switch 7 times and adding sone drop target code to turn on the lamp. Not hard. However, I sought out 32A in hopes he might have an easier fix. Most of my tables are custom so having odd code doesn’t bother me. If a new version comes around I test it and see if any of the changes I’ve made are in there (like ball/flipper shadows which I always add) or if I like the new one better than mine (better lights). It’s all organic and evolutionary. It’s a hobby and everyone’s tastes are different.

TGX
            Participant
              @tgxperience

@32A, I was playing Stars again today with intent of looking at the 7,000 light issue when I noticed I was able to get the 7,000 to light BUT both stars on either side of the red star had to be hit to light it AND there is a really long pause before the 7,000 light comes on. I would say the gamecard is wrong and should say “Red Drop Target Light 7000 Points When Adjacent Targets Are Down.” At least that is the current rule set. It makes sense since hitting targets on either side without hitting the red is challenging and worth the extra points. Would be interesting to see how a real Stars behaves.

J4miePlayer
              Participant
                @j4mieplayer

Thanks for this, another great game.

I’m having a go at adding a tape HiScore (as my friends love beating my rubbish scores) it’s not that straighforward with a rom game but I have it mostly working except the bally.vbs is intercepting the startgame button to enter initials, any ideas would be welcome :-)

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

Thanks for this, another great game.

I’m having a go at adding a tape HiScore (as my friends love beating my rubbish scores) it’s not that straighforward with a rom game but I have it mostly working except the bally.vbs is intercepting the startgame button to enter initials, any ideas would be welcome :-)

Have you read this thread? – https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=140

J4miePlayer
                  Participant
                    @j4mieplayer

Thanks JR, this is sort of what I have done but extracting the score from the ROM might be a bit cleaner in places.

I’m also using the single row tape score as I think it looks a bit nicer. So far I have worked around my problem by using the plunger to enter initials instead of the start key as that vanishes into vpinmame. Will work on it a bit more tonight

J4miePlayer
                    Participant
                      @j4mieplayer

@tgxperience and all

The 7000 pt mystery is solved. Both drop targets either side should be green.

I get my direction of what pinbal table to try next from a YouTube channel “Joes Classic Video Games” and he has been repairing one of these all week. Last episode today and he went through the rules and playfield. I have tweaked my copy to match along with the Hiscores @32assassin if you would like these changes I’m more than happy to send them to you. If not is has kept me occupied for a few hours :-)

Also some of the playfield targets are the wrong colour, but there is also an addendum in the Stern manual so there could have been a couple of versions of these going around

32assassin
                      Participant
                        @32assassin

@tgxperience and all

The 7000 pt mystery is solved. Both drop targets either side should be green.

I get my direction of what pinbal table to try next from a YouTube channel “Joes Classic Video Games” and he has been repairing one of these all week. Last episode today and he went through the rules and playfield. I have tweaked my copy to match along with the Hiscores @32assassin if you would like these changes I’m more than happy to send them to you. If not is has kept me occupied for a few hours :-)

Also some of the playfield targets are the wrong colour, but there is also an addendum in the Stern manual so there could have been a couple of versions of these going around

if you corrected any switch or light IDs I like to know what those corrections are
                        I don’t add any custom script settings to rom based events.

according to the Flyer,  witch is a more accurate representation of a new default table.

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2366&picno=3652&zoom=1

none of the drop targets are green

J4miePlayer
                        Participant
                          @j4mieplayer

No, switch and light IDs all the same.

I just changed the colours on the playfield and lamps to kind of match the real table I was watching being repaired, the Instruction card and the addendum in the manual (Everything mentions a purple star which was not on the playfield)

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2366/Stern_1978_Stars_Manual.pdf

32assassin
                          Participant
                            @32assassin

send me the images or table,  while I’m at it I can upload a dB2s I made

I found a reproduction  image and made an authentic lightning dB2s

Capture

J4miePlayer
                            Participant
                              @j4mieplayer

Cool, I have sent by PM. Also sent the db2s I have, Can’t remember whos version this one was but had the Tilt and Gameover lights swapped which I swapped back around, looking forward to seeing your dB2s

TGX
                              Participant
                                @tgxperience

Thanks to all looking at this! It makes sense that both stars either side are green.

It does seem some have been replaced with other colors. Kind of breaks the scoring

or at least the instruction cards, however. One thing to note there are purple stars screened

onto the playfield. There are green red and purple below the drop targets on the playfield.

Did you note on the restoration machine if there were matching colored stars on the playfield?

Pinbolt
                                Participant
                                  @pinbolt

Thank you 32assassins for all the great updates.

I have a big problem with all of your last three tables.

During the the game the flipper no longer reacts.

The flipper stays up or down and only works again after pressing the button several times. Somestime the left one sometimes the right one ans some time both.

I test all the newer table with DMD and all the  table has not this problem

Please 32assassins help me, I would like play your new Fathom.

regards

Pinboltno action

Shark’s Mouth
                                  Participant
                                    @impatientoverlord

Thanks and happy hollidays!

kds70
                                    Participant
                                      @kds70

Thank you 32ass … merry christmas to you :rose:

VPin: Williams Time Warp Cabinet (1979), 4K playfield: 40" Iiyama X4071UHSU, backglass: 32" LG. Pin2DMD, Pincontrol 1, LEDWiz, nudging, tilt, plunger, 10 big siemens contactors, Shaker, Strobo, Gear, Beacon, RGB Flasher 5x, Knocker, PC: Intel i5 2500k@4.5Ghz, 8 GB Ram, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, Win10

kds70
                                      Participant
                                        @kds70

What a nice table. Really …

@32assassin
                                        : there are some digits missing in the backglass? the left score shows the highscore perfect; other displays seem moved one digit to the right?

stern-stars-b2s

VPin: Williams Time Warp Cabinet (1979), 4K playfield: 40" Iiyama X4071UHSU, backglass: 32" LG. Pin2DMD, Pincontrol 1, LEDWiz, nudging, tilt, plunger, 10 big siemens contactors, Shaker, Strobo, Gear, Beacon, RGB Flasher 5x, Knocker, PC: Intel i5 2500k@4.5Ghz, 8 GB Ram, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, Win10

JR
                                        Participant
                                          @jfr1

@pinbolt – I would check to make sure you have everything up to date.  The laptop I use to check out and download tables hasn’t been updated in a while and I’ll get that sticky flipper happening sometimes.  But on my cab that has everything up to date no problems.  God luck!

32assassin
                                          Participant
                                            @32assassin

only time I seen stuck flippers is when their are outdated files in your system.

the code for the flippers was not changed

dB2s  file has been updated   Player 2  reel only had support for 5 digits

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?