Starship Troopers (Sega 1997) V1.0

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    eMBee
    Participant
      @embee

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/starship-troopers-sega-1997/

Thanks to Destruk, TAB, TheManFromPost for VP8/9 version and DeVaL for the VPX conversion.

It started as a “change playfield” only, just for experimenting and see what I could do and how the VP editor works

Things changed when Sixtoe jumped in and offered help with playfield touchups, etc.
      From just doing Photoshop things to table building, scripting, etc. was crazy but really satisfying when things worked!

Thanks to this community for all the help and support!

New to this table:

Script changes, new mechanical sounds, Adjusted ramps, new plastics, new lighting, new playfield, new apron, new materials en textures.

Special Thanks to:
      Sixtoe: Playfield upgrades, lights and improvements and support
      Thalamus 2020 April : Improved directional sounds, support and fixes
      32Assassin: Assets from his SST base table.
      JPSalas: GI , lighting and overall appearance
      Vogliadicane: Upscaled plastics and images.
      Knorr: 3D Apron
      Schreibi34: PF Inserts
      Flupper: Dome and material textures
      Zany/Dark: Domes

Thanks to all authors who helped directly or via support threat and tutorials.

*V2.0
      Sixtoe – On April 3rd I read a post by eMBee in the forums about Starship Troopers needing the playfield working on, having taken a shot at the Joust playfield before and quite enjoying doing it I thought I’d have a go at tidying it up, being alright at photoshop. eMBee and I put together something fun which worked well and we were proud of the table we had released from 2 guys who had never made a table before :)

After we released v1.1, I started messing around with VPX trying to learn how it actually worked a bit better whilst eMBee was working on new toy primitives.

What happened next is a credit to the entire visual pinball community, as a relative newbie I had a lot of questions, of which everyone I asked was more than happy to help with, the table as it stands literally wouldn’t have been possible without the help of;

eMBee, for going back and changing the primitives every time I asked (which was quite a lot!)

32assassin for sending me his SST code rebuild and some extra bits and pieces and advising me on things to look out for and that needed doing.

DJRobX for going above and beyond in helping me learn how to code vpx, getting the warrior bug working properly and providing loads of support for loads of different things.

Flupper helped integrate his new v2 flashers into the table when I was really struggling, and then even modified them as the SST flashers are a bit bonkers and not fully supported in vpinmame, then redid the ramps & textures and provided a shadow layer as a lovely present!

Thalamus helped with the SSF code and bugfinding.

Schreibi34 for the playfield inserts and his excellent lighting basics tutorial (which I have bookmarked!)

Dark for his generic primitive collections.

Loads of other people who have written things on the forums when I was searching for answers to whatever I was stuck on that day!

It’s definitely made the past month fly by :)

Enjoy the light show!

*V2.1
      – Changed most of the plastics. Thanks chuck87 for your scans.

All though most of the plastics are obscured in cabinet mode, they do look better and sharper ;)

– Changed Apron textures, Nuke signs and shooter lane texture.

– Numerous depth bias issues
      – Changed romset to startrp2 and enabled fastflips thanks to TheLoafer
      – Added DOF undercab thanks to Angrim
      – Tweaked plunger position.

– If you want to MOD the table, please don’t re-upload but PM me first –

All Logos, Copyrights and Trademarks are property of their respective owner

Total of 65 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
      DeathInc
      Participant
        @deathincclan

Looks great Boys!  Thank you for the hard work.

Sixtoe
        Participant
          @kiella

Thanks, this was good fun and I’m super happy we managed to do it, even if it was a bit in the deep end! I started off trying to improve the playfield here and there to eventually redrawing and cleaning up most of it, then in a month I went from never using the VPX editor before (apart from to change rom names!) to trying to figure out how it all worked and debugging the table, there were more than a few times I felt like throwing my pc out the window (I tried to implement fluppers flashers and failed miserably, the scripting is beyond me at the moment…)
          Anyway, it was fun to do and work with eMBee, and I hope you enjoy it :)

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

VP is much more fun that changing rom names ;) And, yes, it can be frustrating at times, but, the learning and feeling of accomplishment once you’ve figured it out is kind of exciting too ;)

Thanks, and congratulations to both of you @embee and @kiella ! :good:

HiRez00
            Participant
              @hirez00

Greetings,

Great job on this table – have been waiting for this table to be made well in VPX – so thank you!

I have a really nice hi-resolution backglass scan of the original translite.

Don’t know if it is already being done … but should I make a new b2s backglass?

Please advice.

Sixtoe
              Participant
                @kiella

Oops, pressed the button too many times and I can’t delete this!

Sixtoe
                Participant
                  @kiella

Hi @hirez00, we weren’t doing one so as far as I know that’d be great :)

Thalamus
                    @thalamus

@hirez00 : If you make a db2s. Maybe consider making one without the scoring too. If I’m right, we might soon start to use Freezy’s alphanum instead of the built in ones from the db2creator.

HiRez00
                    Participant
                      @hirez00

@hirez00 : If you make a db2s. Maybe consider making one without the scoring too. If I’m right, we might soon start to use Freezy’s alphanum instead of the built in ones from the db2creator.

I was under the impression the backglass didn’t have ANY scoring on it – it is just an illuminated image with lights?

What am I missing?

TNT2
                      Participant
                        @tnt2

The only good bug is a dead bug.

32assassin
                        Participant
                          @32assassin

I was under the impression the backglass didn’t have ANY scoring on it – it is just an illuminated image with lights?

What am I missing?

this is a static,  DMD backglass
                          scroll to 3:10

I made one similar to ID4   ,  classic lighting with fantasy flashers

but I decided not to uploaded it because the quality of the image is meh

if you have a better one please share it or make a better quality backglass

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                          https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

HiRez00
                          Participant
                            @hirez00

Here are the 3 versions I am working on.

1 original that will have a grill for 2 and 3 screen users, and 2 alternate versions that will be 16×9.

Starship-Troppers-Backglass-02

Starship-Troppers-Backglass-01

Starship-Troppers-Backglass-03

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

Ah. Thanks for correcting me @32assassin and @hirez00 – you are of course right.

senseless
                              Participant
                                @senseless

AWESOME! Thanks for this release! I love this table and am so glad it is available for vpx now :).

Siggi
                                Participant
                                  @siggi

Thank you very much to all involved, i never played this table but i like the movie.

Will go bug hunting tomorow in my cab.  ;-)

Pinbolt
                                  Participant
                                    @pinbolt

Thank you for this great release.

jamiegates
                                    Participant
                                      @jamiegates

My first ball on this table got stuck at the top inside lane and the shooter lane next to special.  Nudge did not move the ball but when table went in ball search it fired one up the shooter lane and knocked it loose.  Thanks for the table looks really good.

BeachBumTN
                                      Participant
                                        @beachbumtn

This table is a blast.  I kept telling myself “one more game” and spent most of the evening playing it.  Thanks!

JR
                                        Participant
                                          @jfr1

Loving learning this table!!  Thanks!!  Plays fantastic.  Feels like a Herweh table!  Wow.  Looking forward to any bg’s  Hirez comes up with.  Always good stuff.  But until then – – Wildman’s Lady Death alternate BG!

newjersey
                                          Participant
                                            @newjersey

Thank you.
                                            Now we’ve got a new Sky Marshal and a new battle plan…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 78 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?