StarShip Troopers Sega

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Knorr
    Participant
      @knorr
      vipContributor

The next table i would like to build is SST from Sega. I´m collecting stuff for this table since a few years but i still dont have good scans. Every help is appreciated.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      Dark
        @dark
        vipMemberContributor

You can tell there is much interest in your project by the likes, but by the lack of responses no one has the resources you seek (yet at least). :(

I know you are very capable Knorr, but if you need help making the bugs let me know.

Best of luck.

3dcreation

1 user thanked author for this post.
        randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Yes @dark is right @knorr wish i could help you but this is another table where resources just never seem to be available.

Excited to hear your interested in this machine! That means it will be done and done very well :)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

sheltemke
          Participant
            @sheltemke

This topic must be “BUMP” ed from time to time so maybe someone who have the machine will read this and will scan who knows.

I checked, last time someone sold a playfield for 250usd, and im sure if someone who have a nice scanner will buy it(when one will be avaible) many of us will donate a little@paypal.

(That’s how Flintstones built too).

If that’s the way to get this done it’s not a bad idea i think.

Knorr
            Participant
              @knorr
              vipContributor

This topic must be “BUMP” ed from time to time so maybe someone who have the machine will read this and will scan who knows.

I checked, last time someone sold a playfield for 250usd, and im sure if someone who have a nice scanner will buy it(when one will be avaible) many of us will donate a little@paypal.

(That’s how Flintstones built too).

If that’s the way to get this done it’s not a bad idea i think.

Well, i wouldn´t take money from the community. But thats my personal preference. It somehow feels more like a job then a hobby. When i ever have the feeling that i will quit building tables, i will quit, even when its in the middle of a project.

I also wouldnt buy a repo set plastics. You never know what you get. Sometimes they made of low res pics anyway and they are really bad too.

At the moment i also think about to remake the playfield on my own. The artist was morgan weistling and this his worst work. Basically he redraw some movieclips and thats all (sorry, i like his other work much more outside of pinball). I also think the hole artwork doesnt do it justice to the movie.

So maybe this will be a kind of interpretation like i did with south park (i had exactly zero resources). Well lets see,…

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

I don’t have problems with chipping in a few dollars if I know the price of the resource being bought. I would also not mind that the resource, after obtained and digitized as best possible would be sold or used by the creator, as long as the digitized files are open for anyone to use afterwards (after table release). It isn’t right that you authors sometime buy resources out of your own pockets if the main intention is to create a better vp table.

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

1849744579_preview__Troopers

Knorr
                  Participant
                    @knorr
                    vipContributor

I don’t have problems with chipping in a few dollars if I know the price of the resource being bought. I would also not mind that the resource, after obtained and digitized as best possible would be sold or used by the creator, as long as the digitized files are open for anyone to use afterwards (after table release). It isn’t right that you authors sometime buy resources out of your own pockets if the main intention is to create a better vp table.

Well like i said, its my personal preference. I dont mind if other do that. I also bought the playfield for wcs. Since it was the last puzzle for the build i wont wait another year or so until somehow it comes up. But its not only for the resources, also the software licenses/subscriptions i work with cost money, the hardware stuff too. So i guess this is pretty common for other authors. But in the end of the day its my hobby, and a hobby usually does cost something (sounds somehow stupid). But i´m ok with that….

JR
                    JR
                    Participant
                      @jfr1

I am constantly amazed and thankful for both the authors that expend their time and money, AND how resources sometimes seemingly come from points around the globe.  Or…from Pinsiders helping out.  It’s always fascinating following wips.  In certain circumstances I think pulling some $’s together from us that benefit might be a good idea.  Would allow guys like me that don’t have much skill a way to help out.

Dark
                        @dark
                        vipMemberContributor

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, while I think nothing VP related should ever be commercial or used to make anyone money, I don’t think the community pooling together to acquire hard-to get resources is a bad thing.  In the short term if the community bought a PF to scan for knorr’s project it would result in a top notch table from knorr but it will also mean that future authors can potentially update the table with good resources as well.

With that said I’m hesitant to start asking people to fork up money, with money comes obligations and there have been a few rare instances of people trying to get funding for this and that and then not delivering on their obligation.  So I think if something like that were to work it would need to be handled by someone who’s been at the core of the community for a long time with it’s best intentions at heart.  Case in point I wouldn’t hesitate to chip a few bucks if say Thalamus started the pool for something like this.  I’d say you could keep the PF just get scans uploaded.

3dcreation

JR
                        Participant
                          @jfr1

Yep.   The people involved and the circumstances would have to be just right.

Shannon
                          Participant
                            @shannon1

I would love to see your interpretation of this table. I agree that some of the artwork could have been done better. There is a ton of source material online with the comics, so I would love to see this project completed.

CarnyPriest
                            Participant
                              @carnypriest

The MAME side does have some organized efforts to acquire game code. Could be similar effort put together for resources.

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Number=311481

TNT2
                              Participant
                                @tnt2

1849744579_preview__Troopers

Ha. That’s awesome.

JR
                                Participant
                                  @jfr1

Verhoeven. Pinball. This has to happen.

TNT2
                                  Participant
                                    @tnt2

Even though the Pinball Arcade table had inaccurate physics I always enjoyed playing it.

Sega has had some really solid tables.

The Loafer
                                    Participant
                                      @theloafer

I agree on the quality of the “art” on the playfield, it sucks. This is one time where I would hope someday somebody recreates the playfield art, maybe using the comic book assets (that took a page from the movie, so still works) or something.  While they are at it, they can use different fonts then the ones Sega often uses, annoys me to no end.

With that whining criticism out of the way LOL, I’d like to add that this is a fun game and would be nice to see it get the Knorr treatment for sure!

Specific to community contributions, I would add I would donate to this but only if Knorr or any specific author is not tied to it. IE: donate for the sole purposes of scanning assets to be uploaded to be available TO ALL!  IE: maybe a good idea for the art assets to be uploaded to any site that wants it, no favorites please. The intent is so that the author doesn’t feel like it’s a job and heck if others want a crack at it, more power to them.  If the art is available to all, eventually someone will make it.

Dark
                                        @dark
                                        vipMemberContributor

Yeah that’s what I was saying Loaf, if someone is trusted to receive the playfield after being purchased and get it scanned, upload the scans here (for future renditions), then they can keep the PF to hang on their wall or something for their trouble. :P

So the first question that needs to be asked then is, who’s an appropriate, willing candidate with a scanner?

3dcreation

redrooster
                                        Participant
                                          @redrooster

I played this game for the first time a few months ago at a spot in the Chicago suburbs (about 2 hours from my house).  I’m there for work on a pretty consistent basis, I have no idea if I’d be able to contribute anything, but I’d be willing to if you can think of anything.

I know the word “scans” get used, but would pics with the glass off help/work?  Not that I can guarantee that, but i’d be willing to ask for sure.

Dark
                                            @dark
                                            vipMemberContributor

I played this game for the first time a few months ago at a spot in the Chicago suburbs (about 2 hours from my house). I’m there for work on a pretty consistent basis, I have no idea if I’d be able to contribute anything, but I’d be willing to if you can think of anything.

I know the word “scans” get used, but would pics with the glass off help/work? Not that I can guarantee that, but i’d be willing to ask for sure.

HD photos with the glass off could be helpful for sure,  the key is to take lots of ‘square’ photos, meaning the lens of the camera is at a parallel angle to the playfield to reduce perspective.  Perspective in photos increases towards the edges of the image so overlapping photos can help solve this when stitching images together to a form a whole.

@knorr

You probably have these already but there’s some decent stripped PF photos here:

https://www.absolutepinball.com/shop/1997-sega-starship-troopers-pinball/

3dcreation

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?