Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Shamous
    Participant
    @shamous

hi everyone I’m hoping someone could give me some suggestions on how to combat static electricity problems with my cabinet. During the building of my cabinet I’ve noticed that sometimes when I touch my lockdown bar or other parts of my cabinet I get an electrical shock. Sometimes very severe I’m getting very concerned about this because a couple of Times just recently It has restarted my computer any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I don’t want to take a chance on frying anything :wacko: :wacko:

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

DANG…that’s not good.  I have a very stat-icky house in the winter with forced-air heating.  I get shocked all over the house…my cat hates it.  But I do not have a problem with my cab – or real pin for that matter.  I would first use an outlet ground tester to make sure whatever you’re plugged into is properly grounded.  Hopefully others have dealt with this and have something more specific.  A short-term fix is something I use on my electric guitars to eliminate static buzz – – wipe your lock-down bar/rails, heck everything down with a dryer sheet.  It works!  Good luck.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Dark
    @dark
    vipMemberContributor

In order for the pc to reboot from touching the lock down bar would indicate that a current can travel from lock down bar to pc.  Wood generally does not conduct electricity very well so I wonder what’s making the connection from lock down bar to pc?  If pc components are mounted to wood inside the cabinet they ‘shouldn’t’ be affected by static electricity.  You need to get it grounded some how.

I have an issue with static electricity on my cocktail cabinet, the spinner dials are metal so some times if I build up static from walking on carpet in the winter it will create a static shock which will then disable all my ipac controls until the power is reset to the boards.  I emailed Andy at ultimarc about it and he said it’s tricky to eliminate and suggested trying to ground the spinners to something.  In this case, the spinner knobs being metal are an issue but I’ve never received more than a minor static shock.

3dcreation

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Shamous
    Participant
    @shamous

Thanks JR I have the same problem here at home    very dry winter.  I’m going to go through all my grounds and check everything and I do have an outlet tester I didn’t even think about checking the outlet and of course I’ve got to give the dryer sheets to try   hell even if it doesn’t work at least it’ll smell nice.  Lol

Shamous
    Participant
    @shamous

Thanks dark for the reply.  I do have a fire button in my lock down bar but I also get the static if I touch the legs and the legs don’t have anything in them they are only connected to wood I’m in the process right now of checking continuity through some things

flstclasic
    Participant
    @flstclasic

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=26152

flstclasic
    Participant
    @flstclasic
    Shamous
    Participant
    @shamous

Thanks for the link flstclasic It turns out  I read that thread  a long time ago when I started building my cabinet. Very informative. I don’t have my stuff bonded together but I will give it a try.  I don’t know if this matters but I don’t get electrical shock from components. I’m getting static shock from me touching machine.  I get it even if my cab is unplugged.  The prob is that if it’s on it’s making a huge effect on screens and comp components when it happens

TerryRed
    @terryred
    MemberContributorModerator

Yah….we forget that when we play these games in public we have insulated footwear on that prevent the issue.

JR
    Participant
    @jfr1

Happens without anything being plugged in?  Hm.  If it’s causing your PC to reboot I’d get this figured out before plugging it back in.  I came across this discussion onVPF – – https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33457

flstclasic
    Participant
    @flstclasic

Here is another one: http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/BuildGuideV2/BuildGuide.php?sid=cabGrounding.

is your tv de-cased? Are all your different voltages connected to a common star point ground? Is what you are plugged into actually earthed? Your answer lies in the two links I posted. When it comes to electricity, if you are not sure,  hire an electrician to do it. You need to be 200% sure with electricity. Not worth dying if your not sure.

Shamous
    Participant
    @shamous

Sorry for not replying back for so long Ive been away.  I did seem to help my problem by running a separate ground wire throughout the whole cabinet attaching it to any metal componaant and then attaching  that to the ground lug on both of my power supplies.  It seems to have helped keep the hardware from being effected but I can still get a hell of a static discharge zap when I touch it.

Thanks for all of your replies  I will keep working on it.  I think when it gets moved to its permanent home in my basement I wont have the prob anymore.  I believe it has something to do with my garage, which is where I have my shop and have been building it there for a couple years.  I get static discharge shocks from a lot of things in my garage.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW