Stingray (Stern 1977) [bord]

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Schreibi34
    Participant
      @schreibi34

100 was the limit!!!

I’m at 156 right now………

The Loafer
      Participant
        @theloafer

Not meant to disrupt Bord’s release thread but I had to chime in and say that’s a commendable target, it forces you to play more of the few tables you have installed.  In saying that, just my personal opinion but … 50??  That’s impossible!  Maybe 100 and even then I don’t think I could.

The problem is perfectly exemplified with this table. In real life, I’m not a big fan of this table (with a couple of exceptions, I’m more a Bally/Williams fan of that era).  The real Stingray is a fine game, I’m just not the biggest fan, we can’t love them all ;).  Before the release of Bord’s version, in real life, If I had to play 100 tables, Stingray wouldn’t make the list.  But because of this release, the more I play it, the more it creeps into my “must play” list, which is typical of his tables as it does so much honor to the original table’s design and aesthetics.  Now, if I come across a real Stingray, I’m going to want to play that sucker!

IE: if I limit myself to just 50-100, I’d have missed out on this excellent release as its only by playing dozens of games do we start to “get” the intentions of the original table designer (the great Roger Sharp) and Bord’s excellent interpretation

1 user thanked author for this post.
        bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

@theloafer – that’s cool to hear. Part of my goal is to give exposure to overlooked games (i.e. classic Sterns). Not sure I loved Stingray either until I started working on it.

Love the # of games discussion.

I have a pretty firm limit at 100 in PinballY. Any more than that and I get decision fatigue. These are rough estimates:

• a good 50 of them I try to curate a list with diversity across era and manufacturer. This list rotates with the ebb and flow of new releases.
          • 5 are straight up novelty items (i.e. Goin’ Nuts, Hi-Score Pool)
          • 10 are just there because my kids love them or modded them to their own themes (Wonder Woman drawn in crayon).
          • 10 are just impeccably made VP versions regardless of whether I like the game or not.
          • 10 are games that someone I respect really likes and I’m curious what they see in that game (this would be how Alien Star first made the list).
          • 15 are recent or current projects that I’m really excited about.

First thing that puts a game on the chopping block is physics. A few get on the short list for mods this way, the others get canned. I’m not terribly picky in this regard but you know pretty quick when you’re playing a dud.

The Loafer
          Participant
            @theloafer

Great analysis behind your choices.

“10 are just there because my kids love them or modded them to their own themes (Wonder Woman drawn in crayon)” :  boy am I curious about these lol

Ben Logan2
            Participant
              @benlogan2

Sound package on this one is exceptional! I love the unique flipper sounds. The chimes are beautiful. I especially like the drop target sound. Physics are super. Challenging! Lighting is gorgeous and organic looking, as is with all your titles, Bord. Thanks so much for this!

bord
                @bord

Sound package on this one is exceptional! I love the unique flipper sounds. The chimes are beautiful. I especially like the drop target sound. Physics are super. Challenging! Lighting is gorgeous and organic looking, as is with all your titles, Bord. Thanks so much for this!

Thanks, @benlogan2. It became a surprise favorite of mine. Didn’t expect to like it as much as I did.

Arngrim
                Participant
                  @arngrim
                  DOF MinisterMember

I’m late to the party here, i have taken the beautiful table, and noticed it misses the DOF E events to complete the DOF.

Here is the script with the update :

https://pastebin.com/LTaDDkJ4

Thanks Bord :)

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  bord
                    @bord

Thanks, @arngrim. I’m away from my computer for the next week but will get this incorporated when I’m done traveling. Much appreciated!

JR
                    Participant
                      @jfr1

A shopped Stingray popped up on C-list a few weeks ago.  Looked fantastic and had new MPU.  $850.  Oof.  Was gone before I could even think about it and now it’s all I’m thinking about.  Really love this table.

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?