Strange Science (Bally 1986)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    vogliadicane
    Participant
      @vogliadicane

Very cool, what you all did here, so thanks a lot Agent, Brandon and Bord (shit, one missing for ABBA).

This table is really strange, but the same way very good: the layout (surely many more things, but the Anti-Gravity ramp is ingenious), the sounds (love those monkey and vocoder shouts), the gameplay… very unique. The strangest thing for me is, that most people – including me – never saw it or heard about it!? So here another big thank you for this one and also for the makers of VP, because we all now can play tables, we never ever in our lifes would have a chance to do so.  :yes:

VP is like a museum to preserve both, memory AND fun for pinball even if tables themselves have disappeared since a long time.  Maybe we, the community, should apply for a grant from the UNESCO World Culture Heritance. :yahoo:

Ok, I’ve gone too far. Actually, I only wanted to ask two questions regarding this table:

1. If you load the Atom Smasher from top (balls collected at the bottom of entry) and you don’t manage to release all within a game… now, they are not released after game over and you can use them in a follow up game, but I experience, the ball counting gets fu**ed up after that. Means, at the end all routines (bonus counting and andand) start, but there is still a ball in play… I think, this is a bug.

2. The L-A-B switches: There are two switches, one at ball falling down and one at the lanes. From the video from some posts above, I undestand, that the upper registers one LAB light, the lower registers points/credit. Here, i can get LAB lights from both by switching right magna safe in between. Not sure if this is different on the real table or the video author is wrong ;)

Anyways, super cool, what you did here! :good:

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

@vogliadicane : Ah. cool that you mentioned both those “cases”. I was pondering about those myself and I noticed that they seem to work differently from that youtube video.

agentEighty6
        Participant
          @zigbane

Thanks Vog!  We really worked hard to get this out and looking great!  Glad you’re enjoying it.

The LAB switches are correct as we have them.  There’s videos on Youtube that details how they work (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwr215jwysY around 1:10).

Plus Brandon owns the real table and can confirm that.

As for the Atom Smasher, I’ve played countless games and have never seen that.  If you happen to see it again, pls take a scrn shot and send to me (it’s too bad you cant take video).  In the meantime, ill keep looking for it to happen and try to reproduce the issue.  ill also dbl check the script to see if i can find any place that i can see could allow that to happen.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          agentEighty6
          Participant
            @zigbane

Update: I’m pretty sure i fixed it now.  i was able to replicate it but it was rare and took me a while!  thanks for finding that!

sheltemke
            Participant
              @sheltemke

Update: I’m pretty sure i fixed it now. i was able to replicate it but it was rare and took me a while! thanks for finding that!

Thx for the update!

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

Appreciate the update !

UpJumpTheBoogie
                Participant
                  @jonathanfischer

So can the atom smasher shot be made from the flippers starting from a stand still catch? Or are you saying I need to use the momentum of the ball like a bat hitting a baseball as it coming in? Did someone say you can get into it by a starting skill shot? Loving this game so much!  but We wants the atom smasher!

agentEighty6
                  Participant
                    @zigbane

Hey boogie… The atom smasher is loaded from the back left corner  ramp using the upper flipper. It’s tricky (as it is with the real table) to hit but once you get the hang of it, it gets a little easier.

Pro tip: if you can launch the ball and get it to drop thru the “L” hole, a lot of times it will bounce off the bumper and roll past the upper flipper thus giving you a shot at the AS.

Cognis
                    Participant
                      @cognis

This is without question a seriously gorgeous table.  I’m so glad I was pushed to switch over to 4K a few months ago.  The biggest accomplishment you guys have done, in my opinion, is to make an extremely fun and enjoyable PLAYING table.  Nailing the look is one thing but getting it to play like this table does is a great accomplishment.  Yeah that starts with the original Bally team but you guys created an impressive recreation that I can’t thank you enough for.  This table will be in my shortlist set of go-to tables for a long, LONG time!!

:good:

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      vogliadicane
                      Participant
                        @vogliadicane

Hey boogie… The atom smasher is loaded from the back left corner ramp using the upper flipper. It’s tricky (as it is with the real table) to hit but once you get the hang of it, it gets a little easier.

Pro tip: if you can launch the ball and get it to drop thru the “L” hole, a lot of times it will bounce off the bumper and roll past the upper flipper thus giving you a shot at the AS.

so this means, the smasher cannot be loaded from the lower flippers? Would explain a lot, because I NEVER succeded to do so. But what is the ramp for then?

agentEighty6
                        Participant
                          @zigbane

lol, yep, you cant load it from the bottom but…

there is another neat feature where when balls are loaded in the AS, you can smack a ball against them from the bottom and release one that travels along the wire ramp and enters play.

vogliadicane
                          Participant
                            @vogliadicane

lol, really really strange. Yes, I already experienced what you described. Anyways, cool table.

roccodimarco
                            Participant
                              @roccodimarco

lol, yep, you cant load it from the bottom but…

there is another neat feature where when balls are loaded in the AS, you can smack a ball against them from the bottom and release one that travels along the wire ramp and enters play.

I love this element bally did!   They also did this with Heavy Metal Meltdown.  If you havent played 32’s table is very fun.  Its a very simple table but I love it.  Still waiting on the backwall on that table to be updated with the multiplier lights.  Anyway, when I hit the ball out of the atom smasher I was probably a little too excited by the feature lol.  Awesome work!

BrandonLaw
                              Participant
                                @brandonlaw

The amount of balls in play adds to the many multipliers… the Green ones on the left.  Smacking them out is encouraged!  Just tough to get that 12x multiplier which is 5 balls on the table by doing it.

"Fuck this game. I love it."

UpJumpTheBoogie
                                Participant
                                  @jonathanfischer

So that’s it! Top loading only- man that’s deceiving! I kept hitting the ramp from the front! Thanks for tips!

zimbakin
                                  Participant
                                    @zimbakin

Very cool. Looks fantastic and can’t wait to try it.

Never take advice from me,
                                    you'll end up drunk.

ramsrule
                                    Participant
                                      @ramsrule

Strange (no pun intended ….. LOL!) – I am not getting any game/rom audio from this version.  No issues with the old VP9 table.

I’m getting all the table audio at normal levels though.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may be the issue?

Mark70
                                      Participant
                                        @mark70

Strange (no pun intended ….. LOL!) – I am not getting any game/rom audio from this version. No issues with the old VP9 table.

Did you try the included nvram file? (backup your old one if you want to keep your highscores)

ramsrule
                                        Participant
                                          @ramsrule

Strange (no pun intended ….. LOL!) – I am not getting any game/rom audio from this version. No issues with the old VP9 table.

Did you try the included nvram file? (backup your old one if you want to keep your highscores)

Thanks for the quick reply .  Yes, I tried it but it didnt help unfortunately.  Then went back to the old one to check it again and it still works.  Weird (not going to say strange… LOL).

Ended up playing a game without the game audio and scored 7.4 mil…. by far my best game ever on this table.  Maybe I should turn the rom audio off on all of my tables? :unsure:

Mark70
                                          Participant
                                            @mark70

Thanks for the quick reply . Yes, I tried it but it didnt help unfortunately. Then went back to the old one to check it again and it still works. Weird (not going to say strange… LOL).

Ended up playing a game without the game audio and scored 7.4 mil…. by far my best game ever on this table. Maybe I should turn the rom audio off on all of my tables? :unsure:

This is indeed strange :)
                                            I bet you already tried it, so sorry for asking. As you already had the VP9 table, did you swap the ROM with the included one (even if it appears to be the same one)? The old one might be faulty.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 67 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?