Syncing 2 Systems

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Wob76
    Participant
      @wob76

This is a bit out there, I currently maintain 2 identical machines.

They are geographically separated (my house and a friends) and are synced using Google Backup and Sync (Google Drive).

Using PBX (totally unsupported usage) we had to exclude a couple of files (Statistics.ini, PinballX.ini and the logs folder) to avoid conflicts, but the XML’s would sync nicely.

Thinking of how to do this with Popper is a tricky concept due to it being in an SQL database, just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I would like to keep the Games table in sync, and let the rest of the database (playlists, favs, etc) remain individual. Due to links I don’t think dumping and reloading the games table at boot would be an option, any SQL experts out there have any ideas? Maybe a central SQL database on a cloud facing server as a sync point?

Cheers,

Wob

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

As long as the copy is done while the database i closed ( not in use ). I don’t see why it should be a problem just copying it. And, if you are doing those backups that it recommended – you definitely can use those as well. That’s the whole point of a backup isn’t it ? ;-)

Wob76
        Participant
          @wob76

Full DB copy is an option, but then the favorites\most played would not be per machine. I guess no harm in just doing the games table? just need to look in what I need to make that happen externally, via a batch or something.

It really only needs to be a 1 way push as I make the changed on my machine, The second machine only really needs to pull the table after new ones are added, or some tidy up, I could locate it in a folder only run a “restore” of the table if a new one exists in said folder, and clear it after the restore.

Am I going to break anything by dumping and restoring the table, links to favorites for example? I’ll be looking to keep everything the same after I commit a new table, so it would only be new tables\old removes, and maybe changes to TAGS etc.

I guess I should just experiment and see what happens :)

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

So. A copy – but, not a copy after all – that makes it something entirely different yes. You could of course like you say do a dump and import eg. favorites on the second machine. But, I haven’t looked into popper yet so I actually don’t know :)

As in most cases. If you have special requirements. The best solution is often to find a way to the goal yourself :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?