Tales of the Arabian Nights Physics Discussion

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    wrd1972
    Participant
      @wrd1972
      MembervipContributor

Sorry I have not been able to chime in a lot on this one. Just been busy as Hell with real pins. I am very thankful for Roth for beating this horse some more. :)

Roth,

If you want to take my latest release FH and dial your flipper physics in, I can do a side by side comparison to my real FH.  Any chance you found a way to hack more friction into the flipper?

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

rothbauerw
        @rothbauerw
        ModeratorContributorMembervip

I’ve added the physics to TOTAN.  I did quite a bit of additional experimenting, but in the end really didn’t change much from the example table.  Only changes are a slight increase in flipper strength and increased playfield friction from 0.075 to 0.15.  I don’t intend to change the ball mass.  The ball behavior feels good as is and I’m not seeing the benefit of increasing it.  Give this some testing and post your feedback here.

[Link removed]

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Loganchihuahua
        Participant
          @chihua07

Thank you.  Your commitment and diligence in trying to make this as realistic as possible is much appreciated. Thank you for going on the fieldtrip and really trying to get into the root of it. Been very fun to try the various changes etc..  Thank you.

rothbauerw
            @rothbauerw

I think I had a break through.

I had two items I wasn’t entirely happy with:

1. The behavior when releasing the flipper button.  I felt like it took too long for the flipper to move.
            2. I still thought 3 was too high for coil ramp up.  The trajectories off the tip of the flipper just didn’t feel right.

I think I’ve solved both.  In addition,  I think I’ve also found a solution for the tap passes.

@thalamus
            – please give tap passes a try and let me know what you think.

@wrd1972
            – flipper friction is feeling pretty good.  I think increasing the playfield friction has helped here.

Changes include:

• Setting coil ramp up to 2.5 (improves trajectories near the tip of the flipper)
            • Changing coil ramp up at the flipper end angle to 1.5 (allows the flipper to start moving sooner while still allowing a higher flipper strength to prevent the springy flipper effect)
            • Changing coil ramp up at the flipper start angle to 10 (enables tap passing)

These feel like a finished product to me.  Let me know if you agree or not.

[LINK REMOVED]

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

I appreciate very much the effort you put into this @rothbauerw ! Unfortunately in quite different timezone. Have to head to bed right now. I’m very curious to what you’ve come up with. I’ll check tomorrow afternoon. I’m sure others can give feedback on it too. Please do guys.

bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

I didn’t have any worthwhile gripes about the official release version but these flipper physics are even better. Dare I say the best of this era that I’ve seen. Nice job, man. Your work is a boon to everyone. Are you updating the physics tutorial with your adjustments?

rothbauerw
                  @rothbauerw

If folks give me the thumbs up, yes, I’ll update the tutorial.

BorgDog
                  Participant
                    @borgdog
                    MemberContributorvip

have not had a lot of time to play on it, but feels pretty good to me  :good:   but like @bord I didn’t have any complaints with the original. trajectory from shots definitely seem to be where I expect them, haven’t had enough opportunities for flipper trick stuff yet and I’m not the most consistent/best at those anyway so probably not the best judge but again they feel reasonable for the stuff I’ve tried.

Thalamus
                      @thalamus

Holy smokes Roth ! Now imagine a 50 year overweight Norwegian bowing down and kissing you feet ;-)

Just had a quick run through of two games, mostly focusing on doing tricks. As I said before. On the cab the flippers do activate too quickly and that makes it even harder to do proper tap passes on it. But, I haven’t had any reasons before to even bother to fix it. Now I have. What of course happens here is that I loose the ball often because I have to be so very careful when trying, that they don’t activate. But, I managed to tap pass the ball three times in a row even with the buttons being too sensitive. Not that there isn’t tables around that you can tap pass on already. But, at the same time feeling responsive, having great back hand-able shots and what looks to me, with a bit more training, even drop catches might work. The few regular shots I made was great too.

I’m very excited about these flippers :yahoo:   Never ever have I seen “modern” flippers that works this good. Could it still be improved ? No idea – not played enough with them, in regular play. I just had to run back to the laptop in excitement to write this feedback.

Have a feeling you will get pressured into updating some flipper tutors ;-)   :heart:

Clark Kent
                      Participant
                        @clarkkent
                        MemberContributor

As my comments are considered as trolling, I will not post here anymore. It makes no sense at all.

rothbauerw
                          @rothbauerw

As my comments are considered as trolling, I will not post here anymore. It makes no sense at all.

Your comments are welcome as long as you take the time to consider other points of view, read others posts, and provide reasonable descriptions regarding behaviors that don’t seem right to you.  The latest version posted above can do all of what’s shown in the attached video with the exception of the a death save or maybe a live catch (I’ve been able to do it very infrequently, but I have done it).

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

Did several live catches from the left kicker just recently. I find that from regular gameplay that I’m having a few unexpected misses on my shots. But, I believe that it simpy because I’m not used to these flippers yet. It is very normal for me to spend a lot of time going from VP to real machines in order for my brain to adjust, and back again for that matter. I’ll be looking forward to returning from the upcoming tournament with my brain tuned on real machines for a final verdict on this.

Like Roth, I would very much like to know Clark what you think about these new settings. I agree with Roth on that your previous feedback was worth to be called a trolled post. It was a post that I felt was more of a slap in the face to someone who is trying to make some improvements to our hobby, and both ready and willing to listen to everyone’s feedback. Previous post, showing a youtube video of flipper skills obviously means that you are not happy with something and we’re ready to listen. :unsure:

rothbauerw
                              @rothbauerw

An updated version with modifications to improve the live catch.  Let me know what you all think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0s1bdbzb1jl286/Tales%20of%20the%20Arabian%20Nights%20%28Williams%201996%29%201.1%20wjr%20v4a.vpx?dl=0

naeromagus
                              Participant
                                @naeromagus

Well i have played a couple of games. and i must say that this feels and plays so much better, the ball rolls across the pf as it should to me. the flipper shots are accurate, precise and overall well balanced.

I for the first time that i think in VP am able to preform a drop catch, the post passes seem very natural, even the balls weight feels perfectly balanced (friction and such). Backhands and the way that ball reacts to the rubber on the flippers and the post’s on the playfield feels very natural.

I am certainly no expert by any means. since i am just now starting to play with many different tables flipper and playfield physics and adjusting to what i think would be accurate to the real world tables. But you have my vote on this one!! I hope that you all feel the same as i do. Thanks again for the love of pinball and working to make it more natural to real world. where many of us may never have a chance to experience the real deal this comes pretty damn close!!

:good:

naeromagus
                                Participant
                                  @naeromagus

I too would like to know what you think @clarkkent. Since all of the tables that you have applied you touch of physics to, are some of my favorites when it come to playing vp versus the actual thing (Roadshow, Whitewater,Sttng, CV) to name a few it really feels so close to the damn thing. i love how i am able to pull off a cradle separation, light controllable flicks of the flip.  and a couple other very useful flip tricks when using tables that you have helped with.

I think that you and rothbauerw can come up with something that rivals the real thing. or at least is very similar to feel of flipping and and knocking around a couple of steel balls on a wooden playfield.

Clark Kent
                                  Participant
                                    @clarkkent
                                    MemberContributor

I’ve never seen the ball reacting that way at post passes on real machine. My reference is still our latest release STTNG as I own this machine and I know very well how the ball should react. Our next table will be build in real size, we speculate that this will improve physics furthermore.

rothbauerw
                                      @rothbauerw

I’ve never seen the ball reacting that way at post passes on real machine. My reference is still our latest release STTNG as I own this machine and I know very well how the ball should react. Our next table will be build in real size, we speculate that this will improve physics furthermore.

Thanks Clark. Just so I’m clear, are you saying it shouldn’t behave like this?

623gumhb4nvveuvt2lgjfb1szadjvgd8

That’s the same behavior I see in your video link above.

Loganchihuahua
                                      Participant
                                        @chihua07

I just wanted to comment on the last three revisions on dropbox. The ones that have been for Totan and not the example table. They have been fantastic.  Version 3 the last roth version published to this forum is wonderful to play. I don’t know how realistic it is to the real table mind you. I don’t have a real table, but i am enjoying. Let me explain.

I didn’t click with the physics on 1.1 native as much as these versions. I felt like the ball was harder too control and bounced off the flippers when it hit. It was harder for me to gain control of the ball and actually get a hold of it.  It didn’t have an organic feel to me. There was less of a sense of control of the ball for me.

The latest versions, are amazing.  I can do a post pass. I can do a drop catch, live catch…. I am not that experienced so forgive me, but I feel a greater sense of control of the ball. I feel like i have enough power to accomplish shots if i line them up right. The table feels organic.  It doesn’t feel like a electronic representation of a table.  If i focus i feel like i can accomplish a shot and if i don’t i will miss the shot. It feels natural now like it never did before….

So i like it. Alot!!!!

Thank you so much for your efforts. So greatly appreciated on my end!!!  :good:   :bye:

wrd1972
                                        Participant
                                          @wrd1972
                                          MembervipContributor

Roth, if you wanna add the latest to my latest fh release. I can do an a-b comparison.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

rothbauerw
                                            @rothbauerw

Roth, if you wanna add the latest to my latest fh release. I can do an a-b comparison.

I’ll add it to my list.  Might be a while.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 85 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?