Tell me the dumb thing you did thread

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jesperpark
    Participant
      @jesperpark

Okay does not have to be pincab related, but I figured a thread where you did something you “should of known better” not to do.  I will start

I was changing out my 17″ monitor because my old VGA monitor was not cutting it, so I found a 17″ monitor that better screen resolution and better colors.  So fitting it into my slot, had everything hooked up and running great by the way.  Thought maybe should shut off the CPU but nah no big deal right? well wrong, popped the monitor into place with a little extra hit, dropped into place with a bang.  All 3 monitors shut right off… Well crap, onboard HDMI work so not motherboard, but looks like my 3 month old 1050ti did not like the vibration above it.  Did not come close to hitting anything directly but graphic card seems toast.

Just one of those “I should of known better” moments, what can I say I feel better now that I have vented, well maybe not :cry:

The Loafer
      Participant
        @theloafer

Great thread but I gotta think about this a bit. Not because I can’t remember but because I’ve done a LOT of stupid things back in the day…

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Tried to re-attach a 12V button with the power still on. Managed to send power into my zeb plunger-kit. Keys was still working afterwards but nudge was all over the place and firing erratic. Now, I’m just happy for the mistake, running the much better V2 ;-) Jesper, get at least a 1060, then you should be able to run 4k B-)

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

I will also think about this as my list is very long!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

Jesperpark
            Participant
              @jesperpark

Great thread but I gotta think about this a bit. Not because I can’t remember but because I’ve done a LOT of stupid things back in the day…

Tell you what the next time something happens come here and post it B-)   Honestly sharing my silly mistake made me a lot feel better.

Dark
                @dark
                vipMemberContributor

My old man has a saying which I’ve found to be true for me as well:

“Any time I’ve tried taking a short cut I’ve ended up behind”.

3dcreation

Dark
                  @dark
                  vipMemberContributor

I just thought of a small example:

I was wiring up controls on my cocktail cab and I got into a routine of doing things in a particular order which made for a decent workflow.  However it became such an ingrained habit that I started soldering wire ends and adding crimp/terminal connectors to the ends that are supposed to hook into the control board (ipac).  I got through I think 4 or 5 wires like this before I figured out my folly.  The whole time I’m working away thinking I’m hot shit making good time…..lol.

3dcreation

cyberpez
                  Participant
                    @cyberpez

I’ve had a string of them lately..   :wacko:

Un-plugged HDMI cable with everything on..  blown HDMI port on TV..

Similar to Thalamus..  Zapped a button/ipac and LedWiz in one fail swoop

I’ve somehow installed Vpinball into two different locations on my cab..

reinstalled.. pinballX.. overwrote xml file.. backup drive is dead…

It’s been an infuriating 5 months of my cab being down…  the good news is..  everything but the multiple installs and LedWiz are back and working..  with the bonus of now having a Zeb plunger and Surround Sound in the cab!!!  Just need to find time to go back and reload all the tables..  i’m up to around 30!!!!

wrd1972
                    Participant
                      @wrd1972
                      MembervipContributor

When I added a lock-bar button to my Pincab, it slightly interfered with the tempered glass when the lockbar was re-installed. So how to slightly clearance the glass to not hit the push-button switch? De-Walt 4.5″ grinder baby!!!

So 5 minutes later I now had a very nice clearance feature like I needed, so I proceeded to install it. The second I locked down the lockbar, the glass exploded into a gazillion fragments all over the top of the 40″ TV. Sounded like a gun going off too, and scared the living shit out of me. I figure I must have fuq’d up the tempering with the grinder or something. :scratch:

Luckily, The TV survived with on a couple very minor scratches. :good:

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

Back in 1988 I was repairing a 4 head vcr for work and those cost a lot back then had it all fixed and installed cover with it plugged in and smoked the thing! Have never worked on anything again plugged in or at least not stupid like that was.

********************************************************
                        Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                        for IOS and Android

********************************************************

vogliadicane
                        Participant
                          @vogliadicane

When building my cab I sometimes tested things by putting the wires of 12 and 5V directly to the effector. In an early state, I wanted to do this for a solenoid and shortly before attaching I tought “well, lets’s check, if there is some power on them by touching both” – one in the right the other in the left hand. Don’t ask me today, why I did it.

All I can remeber was thinking for a second “wow 12 V are really strong and why is it vibrating” while I was thrown uncontrolled into some corner of the room. :wacko:

After I found myself still living I realized I had touched the 220V power chords directly plugged into the wall socket   :whistle:

First thing I did then, I ALSO labelled these wires: B-)
                          https://1drv.ms/i/s!Alb15rCwgHxXkplAfktQpbfxLo62Ew

TerryRed
                            @terryred
                            MemberContributorModerator

Been an electronics tech for over 22 years now. Amazingly, with all the consumer electronics. Chrysler electronics, and now military electronics I’ve repaired, I don’t think I’ve had one of these moments….

I think i broke a USB port, and a SATA connector on a HDD…  wish I had something more to interesting… in the military I’ve “seen” a lot of dumb stuff happen though…  :)

RustyCardores
                              @rustycardores
                              MemberModerator

Wow…. it’s definitely a “race to the bottom” when it comes to dumb things for me.

In hindsight probably my dumbest thing was 35+ years ago.  I told myself that it was a “calculated risk” at the time, but really it was just plain F-ing dumb…..

Running from the cops in my hotted up car.  It involved very high speeds and a LOT of “slideways” action…. and I had the car full of mates.   I got away with it and was awarded “legend” status at the time, but it could have very easily had tragic results that would have effected multiple families. :(

That said, men still sing about it around the campfire….. that and the ‘Stubby Index Finger’ song. <<< that one will test the movie buffs. lol

jbg4208
                              Participant
                                @jbg4208

Ah Mickey Rooney!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?