Texture swapping on primatives

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mlager8
    Participant
      @mlager8

I’ve been helping out @Tom on Party Animal and I think we ran into a roadblock that I’m sure can be solved, but I’m definitely in over my head.
      The jukebox primitive is opaque plastic that is backlit though 6 lights (or 3 pairs of 2). In order to get the right look (well close as I can get for now) I got the jukebox looking how I wanted in maya and baked out texture maps for each state on the lights.

There’s basically 8 different combinations of lighting that can happen with the 3 pairs of lights. I’ll refer to the light pairs as top, middle, bottom and I’ve named the texture maps as 1-0-0 (for top on, middle off, bottom off), 0-1-0 (for top off, middle on, bottom off), 0-0-1 (for top off, middle off, bottom on) and so on.

We need to be able to have the light switches for the jukebox swap out the textures for the primitive accordingly.  I have absolutely no scripting knowledge, and Tom is WAY for adept at the coding portion than me, but I think we’re both unsure how to get this part done. If anyone could lend us a hand it would go a long way in getting this table done.

You can see some examples of the light sequences for the jukebox here at these time signatures:

I’m attaching the jukebox model and the 8 texture images if anyone want’s to give this a stab.

Here’s a little preview of the jukebox in maya with texture baked. It looses a little lighting in the process of going from full render to baked map, but I think they’re good for now. I can update maps late if I get them to look better.

preview

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      Tom
      32assassin
      Participant
        @32assassin

the Jukebox has 5 individual lights,  you can’t combine them to swap  textures on a single primitive

preview1

you can keep your current textures,  but you will need to make individual primitives of each section of the lights.

or

you can add 6 current primitives and modify your textures to that they only display the “ON” section of the primitive

similar to this

the top of the Jukebox is turned on by ID 77

everything in red needs to be removed

ID 77 will turn on one of the primitives and only display the top section

the “always Off” primitive will display the rest of the toy.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
        https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

I am gonna get some confirmation of this but the lights in the vp9 version, or wherever you found them@32assassin are mixed up.  I have been studying them for the past two days and the wrong flashers and back lights on the pig and fox are lighting at the wrong time.  I have a guy who is going to go through all the lights on his PA in the service mode to get these right.

As for the jukebox, the center keystone doesn’t light up.  There are two yellow lights in the top piece, and four red ones on each bottom side.

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

F9219AFE-433A-499E-A65F-7A363BE2F43B

Mlager8
            Participant
              @mlager8

One problem with splitting the primitive apart into sections is that the lighting spills onto other sections with cast light, the middle lights which are technically the top part of the red sections, still illuminate parts of the yellow section.

Also there 2 sets of lights in the red pillars that light up either the bottom or top sections so splitting the geometry won’t look right.

Is it possible to keep 8 full jukebox primitives each with their own texture and toggle the display on and off based on the light switches?

bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

Yes, you could do that but it makes more sense to just switch the textures on a single mesh by a script with a series of if/thens.

Unfortunately I’m not the guy to do it, but if you look at any of the ramp textures on my Comet build you will see that kind of conditional language for a number of different light states. Might be a good place to start.

Mlager8
                Participant
                  @mlager8

<p style=”text-align: center;”>

Yes, you could do that but it makes more sense to just switch the textures on a single mesh by a script with a series of if/thens.

Unfortunately I’m not the guy to do it, but if you look at any of the ramp textures on my Comet build you will see that kind of conditional language for a number of different light states. Might be a good place to start.

</p>
                  That was my original plan but wasn’t sure if it was possible. If it is though, that would make things more optimized for sure.

cyberpez
                  Participant
                    @cyberpez

Yeah I did something of the sort on my AFM mod with the light reflections on the wire ramps.  Lots of if statements.  If you can render out all the different textures I could look into the code and see what I could come up with.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                    Mlager8
                    Participant
                      @mlager8

Yeah I did something of the sort on my AFM mod with the light reflections on the wire ramps.  Lots of if statements.  If you can render out all the different textures I could look into the code and see what I could come up with.

All the textures and model are included in a zip attached to my initial post. That would be stellar to get your help on this!

Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

The jukebox and ramps are what make this table.  We would love any help to make this table really pop.

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

well we were all wrong.  The jukebox has 10 individual lights.  5 sets of 2…

cyberpez
                          Participant
                            @cyberpez

Yeah, seems to only be 5 lamp #’s used by the table (at least that was all that was in the table)  but yeah looks like 10 individual lamps in pairs of two (maybe)  Not sure how they are tied together…  But I was able to get the image swaps coded with whatever the lamp #’s were in the script.  Turned out cool!!

Capture

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

The jukebox does look nice, thanks, but I think we need to revisit how we are lighting it, it isn’t really acting the way the jukebox lights work because the light numbers in the script were wrong.  we were banking on there only being 5 lights total.  I am trying to get into the service menu for Party animal to check the individual lights but this table has a keypad and no clue how to cycle through the menu without it.  I don’t know if it needs to be scripted in or what.  When I find the 5 lights and get the order we can revisit this.  The issue is that the segments of the jukebox are transparent and you can see the lights inside.  it may be as simple as toning down the jukebox the way it is and adding flashers, or taking another approach.  the lights sequence in different orders depending on the song being played or during multiball.  I think we need to incorporate flashers with the prims

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?