The Addams Family (Bally 1992)

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    Ben Logan2
    Participant
      @benlogan2

Rothbauerw, are you getting massive stutter after locking two balls toward GREED multiball? On my machine you can’t miss it: 60 FPS before locking two balls, 15 FPS directly after. Then back to 60 FPS after third ball is locked.

Ben Logan2
      Participant
        @benlogan2

I get the same FPS drop as you guys are mentioning. Although only on my cab, not on my laptop. And I agree it is very odd that it is only when the second ball is locked and nothing else is happening, it’s just locked. I’ll dig in and see what I can find. -Mike

Thanks, Mike! TAF is a real favorite. Your version is awesome. Let us know how to support your process.

rothbauerw
          @rothbauerw
          ModeratorContributorMembervip

Rothbauerw, are you getting massive stutter after locking two balls toward GREED multiball? On my machine you can’t miss it: 60 FPS before locking two balls, 15 FPS directly after. Then back to 60 FPS after third ball is locked.

No, my stutter is not as severe as yours.  Mine actually holds at 60 right after lock, and then will bounce between 60 and the high 30’s after the ball is in play.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

rothbauerw
            @rothbauerw
            ModeratorContributorMembervip

Ok, I ran one more test and I’m seeing improvement.  I used the Select Element screen in the editor, sorted by Type, selected all the Primitives and checked the Toy box.  Performance is greatly improved, I’m only seeing an FPS drop to 58 at the lowest.  While it’s a significant improvement, if it was a primitive issue, I would have thought all lag would be gone.

Hopefully this helps as a starting point.  I’d like to continue to help troubleshoot, but I’ll be away for the next week and a half.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Ben Logan2
            Participant
              @benlogan2

Where is the stutter happening? I’d bet there’s a colidable primitive or two in that area that’s causing it. Colidable primitives in 10.1 and 10.2 seem to be more taxing on VP than in 10.0

Sounds like you were correct that it’s largely a primitive related problem, ICP. Nice! Thanks to you and rothbauerw. I’ll test rothbauerw’s idea on my machine after work tonight.

Drybonz
              Participant
                @drybonz

There is still the extra lighting activity going on then, so that may be the reason for the remaining lag after the primitive is adjusted.

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

Ok, I ran one more test and I’m seeing improvement. I used the Select Element screen in the editor, sorted by Type, selected all the Primitives and checked the Toy box. Performance is greatly improved, I’m only seeing an FPS drop to 58 at the lowest. While it’s a significant improvement, if it was a primitive issue, I would have thought all lag would be gone. Hopefully this helps as a starting point. I’d like to continue to help troubleshoot, but I’ll be away for the next week and a half.

While that may work, and I don’t know about Mike’s TAF table, but there are many tables where primitives are used for collisions, and where doing what you did will break something else, ie ball will go somewhere it’s not supposed to.  There is a reason there is an option for it, and also a reduce polygons if not toy.

Sliderpoint
                  Participant
                    @sliderpoint
                    MemberContributor

OK, since you are all jumping on and checking things out, I have an update for you to test.  I have also removed any unnecessary collideable  settings.  I have also found what I think is the cause for the stutter when the balls were locked and implemented a fix for that.  I have also slightly adjusted the physics and changed the thing flips switch.

let me know how this on works:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84075840/The%20Addams%20Family%20(Bally%201992)%20v1.3-WIP.vpx

-Mike

Ben Logan2
                    Participant
                      @benlogan2

Thanks for the latest WIP, Mike. Table is freezing upon ball launch on my machine.

Line 373 is highlighted in pink when I exit the table:

PlaySound SoundFX(“fx_flipperup”,DOFFlippers), 0, .4, 0.05, 0.05

Sliderpoint
                      Participant
                        @sliderpoint
                        MemberContributor

make sure you have the latest 10.2.  The another new part is new controller.vbs call from Arngrim.   I believe I left the old code in at the top if you want to uncomment it and comment out the new controller.vbs call.

-Mike

Ben Logan2
                        Participant
                          @benlogan2

Will do. My 10.2 is a few weeks old and I know there have been a few little updates since then. I’ll update and report back tomorrow. Thanks!

Daryl
                          Participant
                            @allknowing2012

Playing with 10.2 – severe lag/stutter when the 2nd ball locked.

Also “lost” a ball when it came down the side to do thing flips – couldn’t quite tell where it was, but I think it wedged between the metal and the lower right bumper.  The rom took over and kicked out a 2nd ball and then  while playing it free’d it self.

Sliderpoint
                            Participant
                              @sliderpoint
                              MemberContributor

@daryl  are you playing the WIP from a couple posts up above?

-Mike

Daryl
                              Participant
                                @allknowing2012

@daryl are you playing the WIP from a couple posts up above? -Mike

No just the download VPB file … I can try the WIP as well.

Daryl
                                Participant
                                  @allknowing2012

@daryl are you playing the WIP from a couple posts up above? -Mike

No just the download VPB file … I can try the WIP as well.

Played the WIP link above and no issues for playability..

Thing Flips is a bit drunk though  :wacko:

TNT2
                                  Participant
                                    @tnt2

Using 10.1 the table plays buttery (is that a word?) smooth.

Ben Logan2
                                    Participant
                                      @benlogan2

Mike, congrats — You fixed it! No more stutter after locking two balls for GREED multiball. How did you do it?

I’ve upgraded to the latest 10.2 beta, btw.

HauntFreaks
                                        @hauntfreaks
                                        vipContributorMember

plays and looks terrific
                                        if anyone is interested here is my Landscape backdrop XML
                                        landscape

temp-2

Sliderpoint
                                        Participant
                                          @sliderpoint
                                          MemberContributor

Thanks for the confirmation guys.  I’ll upload an ‘official’ 1.3.  I also made another change to the thing flips trigger.  I also tried to keep that ball from getting stuck being next to the orange pop bumper.  If it still gets stuck… nudge it   :whistle:

I believe that VP didn’t like calculating the collisions of the balls that were in the swamp lock area.  As you may or may not be able to tell, there is a full ‘physical’?? subway on the table and the balls just rest up against each other under the table just like a real table.  I added some tiny walls so that the balls were not colliding with each other under there.

Props to Haunt for giving some landscape settings for you guys.  Although I see you changed my environment image, you don’t like mine?!?  I made it myself! LOL

-Mike

Drybonz
                                          Participant
                                            @drybonz

I played the official 1.3 tonight… smooth as silk all the way through the multiball sequence.  Thanks!    :good:

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 237 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?