The Addams Family (Bally 1992) V2 – G5K, Sliderpoint, 3rdAxis

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 528 total)
  • Author
    KiwiBri
    Participant
      @kiwibri

@randr

I have a 1060 GTX, 16gig ram, i5 processor.

As I mentioned, the table itself will run fine under certain circumstances.

Prior to the 2.1 update, I could successfully launch TAF most of the time when launching from VPX itself (most recent beta version). Everything loaded fine. Game would load, and the B2S backglass loaded as it should. Occasionally would get a compile error, but not very often at all.

However, when launching from my frontend, PinballX, the B2S backglass nor b2s program would not load at all, and I got compile errors almost every time.

After 2.1 update, its almost opposite.

When launching from my frontend, PinballX, TAF loads fine and plays fine but still no B2S backglass or even the B2S server wont start at all.

With 2.1, if I launch directly from VPX I now get all sorts of compile errors and game wont load at all.

So very strange behavior that is occurring only with this table, but I understand that this table is an entirely different animal.

I have a GTX960, i5 , Win 10 64 etc. I set the textures to 3072 option. Also, I updated to version 3592 of VPX 10.6 Beta based on that being the last stable one that would work well with Pinup Popper.  Perhaps you should try that version out?

rothbauerw
        @rothbauerw
        ModeratorContributorMembervip

I’ve been using 10.6 3537 and that’s been pretty stable for me.  I’ve had no issues with this table except when I had two versions of it loaded at the same time.

I’m going to through another suggestion out there.  I’ve had some issues with the more recent versions of the dmddevice.dll.  I wonder if that may be causing some issues for folks?  I use the dll’s that came with the 10.5 installer.  I have a pindmd2, no color.

@BradyB

A screen shot of your PinballX table configuration might also be helpful.  When in doubt, post screenshots, config files, version numbers, etc otherwise we’re all just guessing for you.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

KiwiBri
        Participant
          @kiwibri

Just some comments on this table. The game play seems  spot on!  Incredible. I’ve played the real table 100s if not 1000s of times over the years and this plays so close, its really enjoyable. One thing I have noticed is that “Thing” isn’t too good at flipping, and a lot of the time it seems like a late shot and the ball flys across to the area near the slings.

Oh, I really LOVE the shadow effect when the ball rolls over the mansion area. :)

1 user thanked author for this post.
          g5k
          g5k
          Participant
            @g5k

Just some comments on this table. The game play seems spot on! Incredible. I’ve played the real table 100s if not 1000s of times over the years and this plays so close, its really enjoyable. One thing I have noticed is that “Thing” isn’t too good at flipping, and a lot of the time it seems like a late shot and the ball flys across to the area near the slings.

Oh, I really LOVE the shadow effect when the ball rolls over the mansion area. :)

Maybe try running the thing trainer? The option is near the top of the script around line 60ish. Set it to 1 and follow the onscreen instructions when it boots up. Glad you like it and thanks for the great feedback on how close it is to the original. The ball shadows that Sliderpoint came up with are brilliant. Love it when someone takes something further than the status quo.

g5k
            Participant
              @g5k

Only for the bumper caps, which was one of the wanted changes. I liked the original ones much more (they looked perfect now a bit milky), so what exactly can I do to revert this?

I changed the texture slightly giving it slightly less transparency but didnt really do what I was hoping so just as a test I duplicated the bumpercaps primitive so there are two stacked on top of each other and thought oh yeah that works so left it. So all you need to do is go go the layer the bumpercaps is on and delete one and it will be pretty much back to what you had before. And here I was thinking no one would have noticed that hack and just the result.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              robertms
              Participant
                @mophead

@sliderpoint  I’m sure a side effect of the heavier compression in v2.1, but I’m seeing significant edge distortion/artifacting previously not present in v2.0. The loss of visible quality probably varies from system to system but on my GTX980/1080P setup it is hard to ignore, especially after seeing how flawless everything looked in v2.0. Here are a couple of side-by-side comparisons:

TAF_v2.0_vs_v2.1_flasher

TAF_v2.0_vs_v2.1_shooterlane

g5k
                Participant
                  @g5k

Still, I have one problem, that I think has not been mentioned here before: Everything when starting it from VPX so not from a frontend. When I start the table (in fullscreen) the table does not get focus, so I have to alt-tab to do that manually. Starting it in force fullscreen unchecked it works. Can anybody help here?

A few months back I had an issue with focus, can’t remember what table and related to my b2s server. I don’t remember the specifics but I updated it to latest as part of the solution.

g5k
                  Participant
                    @g5k

@sliderpoint I’m sure a side effect of the heavier compression in v2.1, but I’m seeing significant edge distortion/artifacting previously not present in v2.0. The loss of visible quality probably varies from system to system but on my GTX980/1080P setup it is hard to ignore, especially after seeing how flawless everything looked in v2.0. Here are a couple of side-by-side comparisons:

TAF_v2.0_vs_v2.1_flasher

I’m responsible for all the textures, if you had no trouble running the uncompressed ones you can open that version, go to image manager, export all the images to a folder, make sure you check the box saying something like “export file names” or something so they get exported with the name VPX is looking for. Then open 2.1 open the image manager select all the images and delete them. Don’t worry VPX maintains a reference to the textures. Import the ones you exported from v2.0 and the all automatically relink, save as a new VPX file.

To do the compression I used this tool. https://imageoptim.com/  Normally I just use the lossless compression which I did for v2 and that saves around 5-10% across the images. To make 2.1 I changed to lossy compression and set pngs to 90% and jpgs to 99%. I suspect the antialiasing on the pngs alphas has become a bit mucked up. When I checked the result I noticed some minor pixelisation when zoomed up like 600% but decided the 60mb saving was worth giving a shot given the issues people had been having with GPU and memory errors. I wasn’t getting those errors on my setup so couldn’t test.

Enjoy –

2 users thanked author for this post.
                    outhere
                      @outhere
                      MemberContributorvipModerator

Only for the bumper caps, which was one of the wanted changes. I liked the original ones much more (they looked perfect now a bit milky), so what exactly can I do to revert this?

I changed the texture slightly giving it slightly less transparency but didnt really do what I was hoping so just as a test I duplicated the bumpercaps primitive so there are two stacked on top of each other and thought oh yeah that works so left it. So all you need to do is go go the layer the bumpercaps is on and delete one and it will be pretty much back to what you had before. And here I was thinking no one would have noticed that hack and just the result.

I was going to ask about the same thing and Also you and your group did a fabulous job

robertms
                      Participant
                        @mophead

@sliderpoint I’m sure a side effect of the heavier compression in v2.1, but I’m seeing significant edge distortion/artifacting previously not present in v2.0. The loss of visible quality probably varies from system to system but on my GTX980/1080P setup it is hard to ignore, especially after seeing how flawless everything looked in v2.0. Here are a couple of side-by-side comparisons:

TAF_v2.0_vs_v2.1_flasher

I’m responsible for all the textures, if you had no trouble running the uncompressed ones you can open that version, go to image manager, export all the images to a folder, make sure you check the box saying something like “export file names” or something so they get exported with the name VPX is looking for. Then open 2.1 open the image manager select all the images and delete them. Don’t worry VPX maintains a reference to the textures. Import the ones you exported from v2.0 and the all automatically relink, save as a new VPX file.

To do the compression I used this tool. https://imageoptim.com/ Normally I just use the lossless compression which I did for v2 and that saves around 5-10% across the images. To make 2.1 I changed to lossy compression and set pngs to 90% and jpgs to 99%. I suspect the antialiasing on the pngs alphas has become a bit mucked up. When I checked the result I noticed some minor pixelisation when zoomed up like 600% but decided the 60mb saving was worth giving a shot given the issues people had been having with GPU and memory errors. I wasn’t getting those errors on my setup so couldn’t test.

Enjoy –

@g5k
                          Thanks for the easy fix, would have been a shame to compromise this incredible quality. I’m typing this on a 27″ desktop and can hardly see the artifacts, but on the 46″ cab it’s an entirely different story. I can’t thank you guys enough for all the time and effort you put into making this astonishing table, it is truly a masterpiece!

STAT
                        Participant
                          @stefanaustria
                          MemberContributor

Guys, for sure someone already asked: some plans for the Gold Edition ?
                          Or can i also use “Gold Rom” ? I think there is also another Switch needed, or not ?

blackvulcan3
                          Participant
                            @blackvulcan3

hi guys, I seem to be having similar issues since the update to 2.1 with the compile error. I was loading through the editor, not front end and cant get 2.1 to run at all.

I tried to go back to 2.0 and now this will not run, same compile error.

I am on Beta 3653 which was pretty good for the other tables, some display errors under preferences, but gameplay was rock solid, no crashes.

My system is Win 10, latest updates, i5 4590, 16 GB Ram, Z87-A motherboard, GTX 970OC 4GB playing on FHD cab with 3 monitors.

Is there a ‘more stable’ beta version or is it random across versions at present?

This is helluva table, gorgeous as shit, I’m sure it’ll all come together at some point, so until then if anyone has any suggestions, maybe on trying a different beta or something I can switch off or on in preferences, I got nothing and I’m outta ideas.

Still an awesome table though.

EDIT – So I started troubleshooting and saw something about a POV file. Deleted it and it started. Sorry flupper. So it couldnt be that easy, and it wasnt, next time up, no dice. This is a strange one.

mavritanos
                            Participant
                              @mavritanos

i have 2.1 v but always shows unknown error. i have 10.5 put 10.6 beta?

Skitso
                              Participant
                                @skitso

Thanks for the update. You should probably upload a separate version of 2.1. with unpacked textures and non-compromized visuals for those who’s system can manage it though.

mavritanos
                                Participant
                                  @mavritanos

suddenly no unknown error but stuck on swamps . i will go crazy

mavritanos
                                  Participant
                                    @mavritanos

with 10.6 beta no stuck in swamps but one ball in multiball

jonathan1972
                                    Participant
                                      @jonathan1972

fantastic work

ball is still getting stuck on the bottom right side of the table just behind the trap door ( not sure if that’s what its called :) )       no matter how much I nudge the table the ball gets lodged every single game I play

Blindpeser
                                      Participant
                                        @blindpeser

I love it. Is it possible to add  ball rolling sounds?

Campa
                                        Participant
                                          @campa

No way! i got the same error! If i launch table via PinballX or Popper, vpx doesn’t find the roms. If i lanch table directly via vpx it’s ok!!

i have to pre-load table and then play it!

it’s like there are problems when loading the table.   :unsure:

bord
                                            @bord
                                            MembervipContributorModerator

I think there may be some benefit in qualifying some of the problems being posted in this thread. There is a real risk in making life miserable for the table authors asking them to chase down problems that are

1. problems that are happening because of 10.6 beta problems (other large tables are crashing with recent beta, not just this one)
                                            2. problems that are happening because you are running a resource heavy table on meager hardware

If you have a problem that you can’t replicate with another resource hungry game, please consider posting your hardware specs, video settings and average frame rate during TAF gameplay (F11) to show that you aren’t asking the team to cripple the table just so you don’t have to shell out for a new GPU. They tested it heavily on good gear. Do your problems persist when turning off reflections, turning down detail level, reducing AA settings? Give more details than “ball missing” or “table crashing”.

More general problems should be posted in the 10.6 beta thread. Something seems off with the beta and the only way to get it fixed properly is for problems to be reported in the beta thread so they can be addressed.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 528 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?