The brag up your 2019 thread

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    STAT
    Participant
      @stefanaustria
      MemberContributor

Thanks to all, really all, and let us start together for a nice new 2020 !

May this should be a small Joke, but i can’t wait for 2 Screen Support in VPX ;-)

Favorite Tables 2019: i will get a Burn-Out if i try to Count all … my Cab is just with some Wood and Hardware,
      but the “Hearth” of this is all your Works here, i hope i can help with some BG and Images, Fixes in 2020 too …

Thank you very much to everyone, who read this … Stefan :rose:

Mlager8
      Participant
        @mlager8

Wow it’s great reading all these!

I have to say that last year this time I had just discovered VP and never though I would be this deep in a year later. I saw a reddit thread of someone’s cab build and I was completely blown away… It took me nearly a month just to understand all the software and get things installed on my desktop and I thought a cab would be cool, but probably unrealistic. Fast forward and I have just finished (at least phase 1) of my 4k cab, learned how to wire and solder, and countless other little things …and that’s only the hardware side.

I bounced around to a bunch of sites and a few of the facebook groups looking for advice, help, and just general interest before finally landing here. Everyone here has been absolutely top notch and seeing what others were contributing really made me want to up my game and get involved. I was intimidated by the learning gap and tried to jump in on a few things, but then I got involved with one of Tom’s @armyaviation projects and it was off to the races! I’m telling you, this guy breathes pinball and honestly don’t know how he has time for work and sleep with the work he puts in! The great thing for me is that I can focus on what I do and let you other top notch gents take care of all the coding, physics and general witchcraft (here’s looking at you @32assassin and @cyberpez ). The 2 big projects I helped with (party animal, and Hardbody) have each had there own challenges and helped me learn and progress and i’m super pumped for the next project and whatever else comes along this year.

Thanks to everyone here for making this hobby awesome, I love it and never thought I’d be as involved as I’ve become!

4 users thanked author for this post.
        Badazzwi
        Participant
          @badazzwi

Let me just say this site is great and filled with some very talented people. Thank you to all of you that share your great work with all of us.

I discovered VP in the beginning of 2019 and have been hooked ever since. I jumped right into building a full size cab which i am constantly working on improving.

VP got me interested in real pinball as well which is something i had very little exposure to over the years. I have been making my way to a place called Titletown Pinball. Its an amazing place with over 70 machines. Old playfields and backglasses line the walls. Im even thinking about joining the league there or trying my hand at a tournament.

Cheers to a new year and all it has to offer.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

JR
          Participant
            @jfr1

Take pics of that place with 70 pins!

Badazzwi
            Participant
              @badazzwi

https://titletownpinball.com

Lots of pics on their website. The machines are all really nice. I talked to the owner tonight and hes a really nice guy that loves to talk pinball.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              JR
              Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

Does he own a scanner ? ;)

-RpT
                Participant
                  @rpt

Great idea for a thread, loved reading the responses!

2019 had it’s up’s and downs for me outside of the hobby so maybe got about 1/2 of the things achieved that I originally expected going into the year (although maybe my expectations were also wrong to begin with). That being said, I’m very happy to have my cabinet finally stable and working with the toys I have added, still an insane amount of work to do on the software side which i might never be finished, which is in it’s own way a blessing.

I think the main thing for me in 2019 has been that I’ve just enjoyed interacting with the community, on this site and in other places such as the FB groups. It’s been good to see friends achieve their goals within vpin and seeing these machines come together will never get old since each one is really it’s own special beast that’s unique to it’s owner (well except the mass-produced crap from china ofc).

Definitely looking forward to seeing what some of you vpin wizards cook up in 2020!

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

@badazzwi, Titletown is awesome! My wife and I played in a classics tournament up there this summer. We both have family in WI and get up there with some frequency. Do you know @tenhaken? I know he plays there, too.

In west central Illinois there is CP Pinball with three buildings full of games, $20 all day freeplay every Saturday. It is a 40 minute drive but always worthwhile. Hard to beat location pinball when the owners keep their games in good shape.

rothbauerw
                      @rothbauerw
                      ModeratorContributorMembervip

https://titletownpinball.com

Lots of pics on their website. The machines are all really nice. I talked to the owner tonight and hes a really nice guy that loves to talk pinball.

How did I not know about this place?!  I know where I’ll be going the next time I’m in town.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

I am starting a new job on the 21st of Jan and training is like 5 weeks in Vegas.  I don’t gamble but I’m gonna got up the Pinball hall of fame, and a few girlie bars!

rothbauerw
                          @rothbauerw
                          ModeratorContributorMembervip

One of my least favorite things to do for my job is go back a tell my boss all the great things I did in the last year.  One, because I think I’m pretty awesome and he should already know that.  And two, I like to focus on the now and hate having to dig through all my files and emails to remember everything I worked on.  But I’ll do it for everyone here because I love you all … even @randr.  Actually, I probably love him the most :rose:.  He’s become my best friend outside of my pinball world too and I’ve been able to visit him a number of times in 2019, even though I relocated to Florida a couple of years ago.

2019 got off to a slow start for me.  I needed a little break, but I came back refreshed and enjoyed all the work I was able to do.  I was also probably a little more selective in the projects I took on and made sure they were things I really enjoyed doing.

I’m probably most excited about the work I did with flupper (@philippe) and @bord.

I’m extremely proud of TOTAN and the physics, animations, and sound work that went into it.  I felt like it was a great compliment to fluppers awesome visual work.  The man is a true artist and a great collaborator.  I absolutely loved working with him.  The table turned out better than I ever dreamed it would and is my favorite of all the VP tables.

The physics investigation I did for TOTAN also led the the nFozzy physics tutorials I put together for the community.  I’m extremely happy with how those physics have translated to every table I’ve added them to.  Personally, I feel like they were a huge step in the right direction.  There’s still I few things I’d like to improve upon, but the wish list is much shorter going in to 2020.

I also really enjoyed work with bord.  Like flupper, bord is an awesome collaborator.  I can’t thank him enough for all of his contributions to the community.  He delivers nothing but top notch work.  I don’t know if I can remember all the projects I pitched in on, but here’s what I can remember: Time Warp, Space Shuttle, Pinbot, Jackbot, Magic Circle, Genie, and Dracula.  Genie is a close second on to TOTAN for my favorite project of the year.  It’s a personal favorite and I couldn’t be happier with how that table came out.  Then there was Time Warp, I enjoyed working on the table.  But my least favorite project of the year was probably “Banana flippers”.  Tom (@armyaviation) sucked me in on that one and I couldn’t put it away until we had something that ‘worked’.

Maybe the most unique project of the year was helping out @3rdaxis with the FirePower AI version.  3rdaxis is also a great collaborator and he has great passion for the hobby.  His excitement for his projects is contagious.  I wasn’t too sure about the whole AI idea at first, but once I saw what he was doing, I had an absolute blast helping out.  I know others fair better against the AI than I do, but it absolutely kicks my ass every time I play against it.  It was also pretty cool (and maybe a little freaky) watching and listening to the cab play itself for hours on end while we were testing it out.

I also really enjoy working with @skitso and bord on updates to some of my favorites.  Skitso is another one of those guys that’s great to collaborate with and like 3rdaxis, he has a lot of passion for the work he does.  In particular, I was very happy with how the Medival Madness update came out.  I’m looking forward to doing more projects with both of these guys in 2020 with one currently in progress.

Some other projects that I pitched in on include: Pennant Fever, maybe my favorite two player game because even my wife will play it; Rocky, don’t remember what I did but know I helped randr with a few things here and there; Hot Shots; Gilligan’s Island, adding in nFozzy and playfield mesh physics; and, Cactus Jack’s, not sure I really did anything on that one other than some testing (@borddog did an awesome job on this table).

On the cab side of things, randr sent me a bell that I installed.  It’s a great addition to go along with the chimes.  And I setup VPVR.  Personally, I love it!  The depth perception you get is a game changer for me and I have a hard time going back to playing on a flat screen.  Really excited to see what updates come for VR in 2020.

I think that’s it.  Right now, I’m still excited about the hobby and have a long list of projects for 2020.  It’s just a matter of finding the time.  I also hope to meet a few more of the folks in the community.  I have it on my list to get up to Milwaukee for the pinball show in April to hopefully meet bord and any others that might plan to attend that event.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

9 users thanked author for this post.
                          The Loafer
                          Participant
                            @theloafer

Roth:  I noticed a common theme with a lot of your comments on the collaborators and that is that they are all awesome to work with. This is a credit to them but you are also the common denominator here, so this reflects well on you. Thanks for all that you do for us all.

Several years ago, I felt we had entered the golden age of VP.  I’m not so sure anymore, I think these current days are the golden age of VP!  Don’t get me wrong, we stand today on the shoulders of the past giants like me (yuck yuck) but for pure quality, it’s an amazing period in VP history.  Just about every release is above average, there are very few authors whom exhibit ego issues (well, except for Randr but I’ll cut him some slack) and the releases are so numerous we can’t keep up! That’s what I call a “good” problem! LOL

1 user thanked author for this post.
                            outhere
                              @outhere
                              MemberContributorvipModerator

I am starting a new job on the 21st of Jan and training is like 5 weeks in Vegas. I don’t gamble but I’m gonna got up the Pinball hall of fame, and a few girlie bars!

Good luck on your new job and I’ll do the training for you

Skitso
                              Participant
                                @skitso

Hey everyone! Great thread to read through! I’ll recap my full VP history as it’s less than two years.

I can’t believe I found virtual pinballing just so recently, 2018 spring. The few first months went collecting tables and understanding how everything works, reading tutorials and asking stupid beginners questions at different forums like vpforums and monsterbash. I’m somewhat OCD with perfectionism, so no matter what table I played, I always found something to fix or to change to fit my own preference. The editor looked intimidating at first and I never thought I would do more than some small tweaks here and there.

Come august, I had my first public release. I thought I had made such an comprehensive overhaul to TOTAN that it deserved to be published and some one in the community might even appreciate it. In reality it had just ball shadow, rolling sounds, few texture and lighting tweaks. It wasn’t much, but the reception was amazing. I still remember the first warm, welcoming and supportive comments from @thalamus: “Looks very nice. Thank you!”  I was happy to have released something that was accepted by the community. That lasted about 6 hours, when @Flupper showed up with a sneak-peek of his amazingly photorealistic looking pre-rendered masterpiece. Way to crush a newbie’s moment. :) But what really sold me this community was the dozens of supportive and positive replies I got after that. It was that moment when I decided this is a community I want to be a part of.

At the end of 2018 I released another similar mod of TZ. Small tweaks and improvements here and there, but after many versions the table ended up having a real improvement as I got some assistance from @nFozzy to fix the gumball machine getting stuck. So here I were, an author of something of a definitive version of a table – the VPX Twilight Zone that everyone would play. I received amazing feedback and tons of thanks but I felt I didn’t do enough, my changes were just tweaks, so I decided that my next mod would be something more substantial.

That would be the Shadow. Released march 2019, together with @markrock76 was my first real collaboration effort and the end results were good. This time I really felt I had made something of my own even though it was just a mod: it had a really nice new coat of paint, new textures, new apron, new lighting, new sounds, better physics, new models from bord and a shit ton of small tweaks and polish and people loved it. This was a good start to 2019 and it just got better.

The next project was a huge one: I finally decided that my skills were improved enough to tackle my own personal favorite table: Medieval Madness. After working with the table for a month or so, I published a small teaser video in the WIP forums to hype up my new castle flashers and to get some scripting help to have them work the way I wanted. The reply I received from @rothbauerw was the best thing I could think of… and the rest is history. With the perfect collaboration with him and @bord, I think we made one of the nicest VPX tables available at the moment. I just love how the table plays and looks and I’m so proud of the end result. Special huge thanks to roth and bord.

And with these two nice and super talented guys, we have now decided to return to my earlier TZ mod to finally make it something amazing – something I really couldn’t even dream about a year ago. But that’s a new story for the 2020…

Thanks everyone, it’s good to be here.

twzone teaser

4 users thanked author for this post.
                                bord
                                  @bord
                                  MembervipContributorModerator

@rothbauerw, I’m glad you posted. Your work with physics this year seems to me to be what mesh playfields were to 2018: totally groundbreaking. Hard to think about the future of VP without you around.

@skitso
                                  : Love the whole story. Your work is top notch!

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?