The Endless Summer – Original DIP (desaster in progress)

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    makmak
    Participant
      @makmak

I have modified the rules a little bit to distract me from the “wave challenge”… ;-)

The bonus counts of the modes will not be resetted to zero after a drain anymore to raise chances for an extraball. Getting to a bonuscount of 10 (each mode for its own), you will earn an extraball as before but counting goes ‘endlessly’ on.

Means, at the end of a ball you get all the bonus counts (and multiplier) you have earned in that game. We need more points ;-) (but extraball only once at a bonuscount of 10).

And Surfers Nightmare mode will be available in surfing mode (when upper ramp is accesible), too.

The “breaking wave” is going to be ridicilously complicated… Simulating water is, so my guess, one of the most challenging things on earth; a breaking wave not less.

My first attempts with just one rotating tube were…well it worked…but did not look very impressive.

I think I need to split up the wave into two separate parts, a lower and an upper one. The lower one representing one quarter of a wave. Imagine looking sideways into a tube, a wave breaking from left to right, this would be the lower left quarter. It is located below the upper ramp, mounted to the backwall. This is one (non-moving) primitive with its own size/radius and image (is there a way to have an image moving on top of a curved primitives surface???!!!).

The upper, breaking/moving part of the wave, is the second primitive with a bigger radius. This one will move in x-axis first (the lip of the wave coming out of the backwall) and then rotating around the y-axis to surround the ramp… B-)

I am still not sure what I am going to do when the ball gets to the end of the ramp:

Either the upper primitive suddenly disappears (not very realistic for a real pinball machine) or I let it rotate to the end, which might look a little strange at the end of the rotation as well.

The most realistic, if at all, would be to rotate it backwards to the origin position and angle after the ball has come to the end of the ramp.

What do you think? (if you can follow my strange thoughts at all…) :wacko:

We will see, its really not easy to imagine and not less easy to implement.

If I were not so addicted to play this table, I could code much more, but hell, I still need some fun playing (and most of the time I cannot stop, lol) :unsure:

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Honestly. I have no clue to what you are talking about. I understand that you’ve change a mode, but, I haven’t read any manual on how you should really play this game yet so I just fire it up and try to hit things that blink or drop targets ;)

makmak
        Participant
          @makmak

Yes, fire up and use flippers, no misunderstanding for the first part of my text ;-)

flstclasic
          Participant
            @flstclasic

@thalamus Instructions are at the top of the script.

Thalamus
              @thalamus

Figures. I’ve already had that script open for different reasons and I bet that is why I never really noticed it. I was hunting for something else entirely back then. I’ll have a look before next time I play this.

makmak
              Participant
                @makmak

I have totally missed to do some lights for the drop targets.

Now, in “properties” I have set  “disbaleLighting” to 0,5 – now there is light in the targets (strange enough, that a value of zero for disabling (!) is lowest light and maximum disabling of 1 is the brightest light… :scratch: ).

Now, if target gets dropped I set target.disablelighting=0 and the light is off – very nice. If i raise the targets and set target.disablelighting= “any other value” it still stays dark… what am I missing here? thanks!

makmak
                Participant
                  @makmak

fixed. Next update with lighted drop targets.(do you know what I was missing? just pure brain…) After having light in them now, the targets look quite dead when light is switched off…

The Loafer
                  Participant
                    @theloafer

I have yet to try your table but I wanted to let you know your eagerness to learn and your enthusiasm is very nice to see.  I’ll def check out your table soon

makmak
                    Participant
                      @makmak

@theloafer you are late to the line up – back in the row and wait for your wave! ;-)

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

And you are the same guy that said … I’m done @ version 0.5 or so ? ;-)

Keep it going. :good:

makmak
                        Participant
                          @makmak

I am done as soon as I dare to install Blender again and get those ramps shiny and blinky, lol.

makmak
                          Participant
                            @makmak

News from the section “Things you always wanted to do but never wanted to do”: I have drilled two holes into my cabinet and installed Magna-Buttons, finally ;-). Editing POVs will be a pleasure now. What are the tables that I have missed to play as intended yet? Is there a list with tables that require Magna-Buttons somewehere? Thx!

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

I know that there exists a list somewhere inside vpforums. Believe mjr made it. There are actually many good games that uses magnets, and then you have the added benefit of those extra buttons for … action button and lut, or whatever the authors come up with. Try using the search over at vpf is my advice.

makmak
                              Participant
                                @makmak

found some here: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=magna&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

btw whats the link to black knight sword of rage?;-) (no answer required)

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus

Doesn’t look very complete to me that list.

makmak
                                  Participant
                                    @makmak

I gladly found some other things to do to retard looking at Blender ;-)

I like to put some more “moving action” to the primitives (the Silversurfer is already rotating when the ball rolls down the wireramp and touches it ;-).

Now I like to “wobble” the lower surfboards near the flippers everytime the correspondant (nearest) slingshot fires. It also would be nice to have them sensitive to nudging, Like if they were mounted on a short spring. Is there a standard procedere/code somewehere or an example code? I looked at AfM (big UFO) and CV (Ringmaster) but didnt get it, too complicated for my little brain :scratch:

bord
                                      @bord
                                      MembervipContributorModerator

Best functional version I can think of is Cactus Jack’s where the bumper cap cacti are mapped to a captive ball wiggling around somewhere off screen. That’s from memory so don’t pin me down on accuracy. No idea how to implement it but it is effective and pretty cool.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                      makmak
                                      Participant
                                        @makmak

You are right, I slightly remember, too (and remember I wanted to play this table much more ;-). I’ll have a look at it, wish me luck…thanks!

makmak
                                        Participant
                                          @makmak

I have contacted borgdog and rothbauerw, I have permission to use their code (thanks so much !) but both are too busy to have a look at my “desaster copy code”.

I had a look at Cactus Jacks and my guess the simulation of cactus movements is done like this:

For each of the wiggling elements a dedicated ball is created which is rolling inside its own cup (cup and ball are somewhere invisible under the apron under the playfield).

This balls behave like an ordinary ball on the playfield, so if you nudge the cab, the ball starts rolling in the cup, or if the bumper gets hit then the ball gets a nudge in the cup as well.

Then you grab the direction/velocity/speed of the ball, do some math with it and transfer the data as movement parameters to the corresponding primitive.

Very nice idea I think, really elegant and so selfexplaining and clear that you would never come to this solution by yourself (at least for me ;-).

I have copied, coded and changed all necessary things (I thought) and tadaa: the boards are moving as soon as the balls are created :-))) – yeehah – but then :-((( oh no:

The balls get on the playfield! lol. I have tried to build walls around the cup but it didnt help. Sth strange is going on with the balls or I missed sth. I didnt notice a surrounding wall for the cups on the cactus jacks table.

Also, the boards rotate like wild out of boundaries. So they rotate to all dircetions through the plastics and lanes, looks a little strange…the reason might be, its because the balls are rolling onto the playfiled instead of staying in the cup.If they would stay in the cup, then the rotation would be limited to some certain degree, so is my guessing.

Hmm, long thoughts short story: while copying parts from another table the numbers of the parts might get lost or changed…forgot that…so I just renamed the important parts and tadaaa: so cool having wobbling boards next to the slingshots at the lower in/outlanes ;-)

..and I still have some more little things I want to do…who needs shiny ramps at all?  ;-)

makmak
                                          Participant
                                            @makmak

Is there still a need for a FlexDMD version or is it working now? I have no issues at all with UltraDMD, so I dont know…

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 87 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?