This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Randyre 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
     Randyre 
    Participant

So, I completed a full size VP based on a Gottlieb Genesis cabinet. https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=39643

Even took it to a Pinball show in Seattle, and got very good feedback on it.  After the show I put it and my actual pins in storage as I we had decided to move clear across the county and I didn’t want to rerpacjk thyem again. Nor did I have time to play with them.

Fast forward to today and the Pins are still in storage waiting for my shop to be built. But decided that I had to have a pin, plus thought, why not make one that I can easily move around with me when I head to work. (<i>I’m gone two weeks at a time.)</i>

So I ran through a parts list and decided on a 23″ playfield, and 16″ Backglass and a 10″ DMD.

The 23″ and 10″ I already had, as well as a bunch of parts from my other build. So off I go.

I’ll update with a parts list and build photos as I go.

Randy

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Randyre.
     Randyre 
    Participant

So pulled out a Mini Fanless computer I had lying around for a MAME project (needs a VGA port or would just use  a RP3+) it has an Intel Pentium Silver (the latest) and an Intel 605 graphics. Loaded up VPX and it runs like a champ. Pretty decent settings including AA4x and using B2S and third monitor DMD. Minor flipper lag once in a while, turned down the settings, and since its running on a 24″ PF, don’t really notice it.

Now for the problems. intensive tables such as the Walking Dead and Jurassic Park are unplayable, even with everything turned down or off. Flippers lag way behind and the ball skips around or “warps” from place to place. Also any table with a PuP Pack runs great, but the videos stutter, and sometimes are so far behind that the next one is queued up before the previous even runs. this is not acceptable, I want a Mini-Pin, but a full size experience.

So as most problems, easy to fix if you just throw money at it. Looked up the specs on the best Intel Dedicated Graphics and the intel 630 is not much better than an old Nvidia 275.  So looked up what AMD has to offer and WOW is all I can say. the  Vega 11 graphic s built into the 2200G and 2400G is on par with the Nvidia 8xx series.

Been years since I purchased or ran an AMD chip, but given the promised graphics capabilities and the need for integrated graphics to keep the size down, off to MicroCenter I ran and picked up an MicroATX AMD 450 chipset MB and a AMD 2400G, a WD Black NVMe 256GB drive, 16GB RAM and a super tiny case to enclose it all in.

Two days later built and tested, running VPX  with all three monitors and all I can say is, runs as good as my full size VP with an i5 7600 and GTX1050.

Graphics are smooth, no lag on the ball or flippers and videos run great.  On to the Cabinet next…

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Randyre.
     Randyre 
    Participant

Started on the cabinet today. Got some 1/4 finished melamine board, not sure what else you’d call it. Basically pressboard with a plastic surface on both sides.

Gorilla glue, 1″ square hardwood, some angle aluminum and screws.

Also last week I ordered some aluminum corners for 1/4″ boards.

51RXYdOXHtL._SL1200_

Here’s some pics of the beginning cuts…

Photo Jan 08, 12 26 08

Supports for the playfield monitor. Secured with Gorilla Glue.

Photo Jan 08, 12 30 51

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

This is great… I’m thinking of making my kids a mini for gifts since I have 100’s of used monitors at the office I could use. Thinking 20” for playfield and 17” for backglass myself

Currently playing around with FP to VP conversions. Nothing serious just trying to have fun.

Randyre 
    Participant

That’s a perfect size especially if you’re going to use old monitors you have anyways. I originally was going to use the 16″ I have for the PF and an 11″ for the backglass and make a really portable micro-pin withought a dedicated DMD monitor, but these old eyes couldn’t handle it, plus since I wanted to run PuP and more complex tables, I needed more space for a larger computer as well, so went with a 23-24′ PF.

My plan is to run SSF to reduce the complexity,  size and weight of using even a couple contactors. I have extra exciters and the mini amps left over from the full size build as I bought too many.

81CaQHC9mVL._SX679_61L8oNULPZL._SL1500_

Also bought a mini 10RPM gearbox from Amazon for $6 and vibrating motor for $7, both are 6V so will be powered from the USB ports to eliminate the need for extra power supplies.

61KDvF6kPKL._SX679_61LYBZWjDEL._SX679_51kaxDcp8wL._SL1001_61+tPj-NzvL._SX679_

I ordered lighted 24mm arcade buttons since full size pinball or arcades are a little large at 30mm, these are already a 5V LED. I’m using a Zerodelay controller I had left over from my MAME build and the extra SainSmart I had before I realized you needed a LEDWiz or something similar to properly do the LED’s.

I have already tested it and the buttons light properly with the sainsmart, but the blink rate seems to change since I believe DOF is actually attempting to control the brightness with PWM, but the SainSmart interprets it as a rate. Still seems to work well enough.

61w9D0TdiNL._SX522_71RDIhc11ZL._SL1500_

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Randyre.
     Randyre 
    Participant

PF Monitor supports complete. Will use weather-strip and angle aluminum to hold it in place, that way I can also make the bottom cabinet solid without the need for any access panels.

Photo Jan 08, 13 46 11Photo Jan 08, 13 45 56

Randyre 
    Participant

Since its too thin to use t-molding around the backbox, I ordered some 1/4 U-Molding.

this should do nicely.

21lQEu6-X3L

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

NICE! full feedback in a mini! VERY COOL! i love it

Currently playing around with FP to VP conversions. Nothing serious just trying to have fun.

Randyre 
    Participant

Plugging along. Cabinet base is complete. on to the backbox. I always dread this part as attaching the monitors is always tricky to figure out.

Photo Jan 11, 14 02 53Photo Jan 11, 14 02 48

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Looking good. Keep the updates coming 👍🏻

Randyre 
    Participant

More progress, backbox almost complete. Hopefully the final product once all trimmed out and assembled will look better than the progress pictures. As mentioned I just moved, and had to leave a lot of tools such as my table saw, radial arm saw and drill press. So doing this with minimal tools has been a challenge. Also no real plans, just some measurements and go to it. Would love to have used thicker wood, but I needed to keep the weight down as part of the idea was to make this portable as well as just mini.

Photo Jan 12, 12 30 24Photo Jan 12, 12 30 09Photo Jan 12, 12 57 55Photo Jan 12, 12 57 47Photo Jan 12, 13 17 10

Randyre 
    Participant

Nearly done with the cabinet. ready to mount computer and drill holes for buttons.

Photo Jan 15, 10 44 30Photo Jan 15, 10 44 24Photo Jan 15, 11 15 50Photo Jan 15, 11 50 10

Latches to hold backbox to base.

Photo Jan 15, 11 45 56Photo Jan 15, 11 46 09

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Looking really good. Hard to tell it’s a mini!

1 user thanked author for this post.
     Randyre 
    Participant

Looking really good. Hard to tell it’s a mini!

I appreciate the kudos.  Wish I was more of a woodworker, but given that this is going to be transported back and forth to work, I know it will get knocked around a fair bit, so not a deal breaker.

I ordered some laser printer glossy decal sheets, I’m going to do some cheepo graphics with my color laser printer just so it’s not so plain.

just completing the last of the main computer setup so I don’t have to deal with the screen rotation while working on it.

Randyre 
    Participant

Time for more updates. Took the Pin and all my tools and parts to work. Using the hangar for a workshop. Weather is bad so no flying anyhow, so good time to get some extra work done on the Mini-Pin.

Lockdown bar complete. Not the most professional, but it works.

Photo Jan 18, 15 20 16Photo Jan 18, 15 20 25

Shaker motor mounted.

Photo Jan 18, 19 50 05

Buttons mounted

Photo Jan 18, 19 51 09Photo Jan 18, 21 43 29Photo Jan 18, 19 50 58

Exciters and amplifiers mounted.

Photo Jan 18, 21 57 09Photo Jan 18, 21 57 02Photo Jan 18, 21 49 34

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account