The Pinball Arcade setup for PinUP system

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Lupin
    Participant
      @lupin

Did not see this information posted here on setting up The Pinball Arcade (DX11 or cabinet mode) and likely FAQ. So have collected all information needed to setup on v1.3.6 (Version I using at this time). Which has PC games emulator setup.

Go to emularors find PC games, tick option to active in system (If you have not already). Add “bat” to extentions.

Use Notepad to write small .bat file:

@echo off
      start “” steam://rungameid/238260 (Note “” displaying different on this forum this character should be SHIFT + 2 on UK keyboard)
      Exit

Save .bat  into default folder shown in emulator screen or where you keep your PC games.

Add game to system. Use Game Manager to update information, edit Custom Lanuch Param to “PINBALL ARCADE DX11”. Important line so PinUP system closes program correctly and returns to menu.

Last part if you are using Pinball Arcade Cabinet Key.

In steam library. Right click Pinball Arcade, select properties, click Set Launch options and enter the following string:

“C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PinballArcade\PinballArcadeCabinet.exe” %command%

Thanks to Gabura (Steam forum) for this which forces Pinball Arcade into cabinet mode.

This should all work. Little hard to write and refernce information as PC used for forum and PC Pinball cabinet different rooms :wacko:

Sadly this only starts Pinball Arcade with there menu system, do not think we will get direct table selection like FX3  :-(

dbinott
      Participant
        @dbinott

I rejected your answer about direct launch  :negative: and then stumbled upon this gem. Have not tried it yet however.

https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/18792-pinball-arcade-direct-table-launch-with-free-camera-mod/

Lupin
        Participant
          @lupin

The above .bat file works from anywhere and does not need path to .exe using steam to run game.

Looking at link TPAFreeCamMod once setup will run tables directly but only using internal names from TPAFreeCamMod or Pinball Arcade (https://pastebin.com/Dx6VAzti). Passing this information to PinUP system is the problem.

This command run from command prompt while inside TPAFreeCamMod folder works fine:

TPAFreeCamMod.exe -table “AddamsFamily”

But can not built a .bat file that works at the moment. Any suggestions?

This is a sample idea for adding emulator to PinUP system (NOT WORKING):

Within TPAFreeCamMod folder make folder “Tables” in this folder have empty files named with names of tables from list above. This should allow you to pass names to PinUP system.

Add new Emulator:

Lanuch EXE folder C:\TPAFreeCamMod

Games Folder C:\TPAFreeCamMod\Tables

Games File Exenstion (blank, to pick up all files in folder)

Lanuch Setup Script:

@echo off

START “” “[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe” 5 5 60 “PINBALL ARCADE DX11”

START “” “[DIREMU]\TPAFreeCamMod.exe -table [GAMENAME]

Close Script:

“[STARTDIR]LAUNCH\PUPCLOSER.EXE” WINTIT “PINBALL ARCADE DX11” 4 1

This will leave TPAFreeCamMod.exe running but close PINBALL ARCADE DX11. TPAFreeCamMod.exe designed to run in background.

Can anyone offer suggestions to get this idea to work?

1 user thanked author for this post.
          NailBuster
            @nailbuster
            ModeratorMember

the idea seems ok…

im not understanding what’s not working with that idea?

Lupin
            Participant
              @lupin

Using quick Test setup emulator and FX3 setup, but only FX3 showing games to be added. Leaving Games File Exenstion blank.

If I give all file names .zip and add File Exenstion .zip they show up. But does [GAMENAME] pass on exenstion? i.e. [GAMENAME] = AddamsFamily.zip?

NailBuster
                @nailbuster
                ModeratorMember

you can play around with script and try to run…  it will probably fail at first, but that’s ok.

try run game… then close popper and look at curlaunch.bat in the launch sub-folder on pinup.  you can see how popper tried to launch it and play with the script.

Lupin
                Participant
                  @lupin

80% complete Launch Pinball Arcade table direct with Free Camera Mod.

Download Pinball Arcade Free Camera Mod from:

http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/10199-DOWNLOAD-Pinball-Arcade-Free-Camera-Mod

Unzip/Rar files to Folder named TPAFreeCamMod on C: (Or where ever you want) my example working from C:

Download my zip. Which has folder called “Tables” filled with file names that match current list of names used by TPAFreeCamMod.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DlxIXkC8AX0vTT-ja8efCr_fn1b2EbGp

and put Tables folder into TPAFreeCamMod folder.

Edit file in TPAFreeCamMod folder called Settings.ini

Chanage the following lines:

; Auto launch the game when the mod starts.
                  LaunchGame=1

; Path to the game folder. (where your Steam folder is)
                  GamePath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\PinballArcade\

; Overlay is hidden when the game starts.
                  StartHidden=1

Add new Emulator to PopUP System:

Emulator Display Name: The Pinball Arcade

EMU Name (Foldersafe): The Pinball Arcade

Description: The Pinball Arcade

Games File Exenstion: * (* will will show all files in above folder allow games to be added Game Manager)

Lanuch Setup Script:

CD [DIREMU]
                  START “” “[DIREMU]\TPAFreeCamMod.exe” -table [GAMENAME]

Close Script:

Final 2 problems to over come:

1. Above works if you turn Windows “User Account Control Settings” to “Never notify”. Otherwise when PopUp System starts TPAFreeCamMod.exe Windows will wait for reply before running. Not found a way around this yet.

2. Unable to return to PopUp system menu, related to TPAFreeCamMod.

dbinott
                  Participant
                    @dbinott

for #1, is that true even when run as admin?

you can try nircmd with elevate

http://nircmd.nirsoft.net/elevate.html

NailBuster
                      @nailbuster
                      ModeratorMember

good work so far!… yeah #1 means you’ll have to set the exe to run as admin and disabling UAC seems ‘standard’ on cabs…DOFLinks and such need that as well.

#2.  if TPA freecam is run as admin,  Popper won’t be able to close it unless pinupmenu.exe is also run as admin (checkbox on properties).

also, are we suppose to close TPAFreecam.exe or close PINBALL ARCADE DX11?  or does freecam close automatically when PBA is closed?

Lupin
                      Participant
                        @lupin

Ok problem 1 still unable to fix without “User Account Control Settings” to “Never notify”.

Problem 2 sorted, Pinupmenu.exe to run as admin allows PinUP system close program and return to menu.

Also if you close “PINBALL ARCADE DX11” this seems to also close TPAFreeCamMod. But TPAFreeCamMod does check to see if it’s running and will only run 1 copy. So no problem both ways.

Now all you need to do is setup TPAFreeCamMod for your system with views you want. Here I can not help you need to read TPAFreeCamMod instructions :-)

Only problem I have changing line “START “” “[DIREMU]\TPAFreeCamMod.exe” -table [GAMENAME]” to “START “” “[DIREMU]\TPAFreeCamMod.exe” -arcooda -table [GAMENAME]”. Which runs TPA cabinet mode. But get error message saying I’m missing Kinect20.dll, new problem for writer of TPAFreeCamMod.exe if you are running Windows 7 or Windows 8+ without software SDK 2.0 installed.

Does anyone have a copy of Kinect20.dll? As I can not install software to get it as needs Windows8+

Lupin
                        Participant
                          @lupin

Ok I have found a way to run TPAFreeCamMod.exe from Task Scheduler without changing User Account Control Settings.

1. Click the Start button and type Task Scheduler on the search programs and files bar and hit enter. Or go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler.

2. Click Action from the menu and select Create Task. Fill in the Name and Description boxes and then MAKE SURE to check the “Run with highest privileges” check box. This is the option which elevates the task to bypass the UAC prompt.

Name: TPAFreeCamMod

Description: TPAFreeCamMod

3. Go to the Actions tab and click the New button.

4. Make sure that “Start a program” option is selected and browse for the program that you want to run without a UAC prompt and click OK.

“Add arguments” set: -table AddamsFamily

“Start in” should be set: C:\TPAFreeCamMod (Or where ever your folder is).

Now go to Settings tab and make sure that “Allow task to be run on demand” is selected which should already be enabled. Click the OK button to create the task and you should see the task being added to the Task Scheduler Library.

Running from command Prompt type:  schtasks /run /TN “TPAFreeCamMod”

This runs TPAFreeCamMod with AddamsFamily table. Now I need to figure out how to get PinUP system to pass name to Task Scheduler. Any ideas?

NailBuster
                            @nailbuster
                            ModeratorMember

im confused… if you have UAC off then things are working ok?

i would say most people have UAC off on their cabs…  that just gets in the way with lots of stuff like DOFLinx are other apps….

Lupin
                            Participant
                              @lupin

My current cabinet setup had UAC off and TPAFreeCamMod working ok (Apart from -arcooda option which I think will need update for TPAFreeCamMod).

Would like to find way to get around UAC, as pain in the ass for this idea and others. But not high on my list :)

Soxbrother
                              Participant
                                @soxbrother

80% complete Launch Pinball Arcade table direct with Free Camera Mod.

Download Pinball Arcade Free Camera Mod from:

http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/10199-DOWNLOAD-Pinball-Arcade-Free-Camera-Mod

Unzip/Rar files to Folder named TPAFreeCamMod on C: (Or where ever you want) my example working from C:

Download my zip. Which has folder called “Tables” filled with file names that match current list of names used by TPAFreeCamMod.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DlxIXkC8AX0vTT-ja8efCr_fn1b2EbGp

and put Tables folder into TPAFreeCamMod folder.

Edit file in TPAFreeCamMod folder called Settings.ini

Chanage the following lines:

; Auto launch the game when the mod starts.
                                LaunchGame=1

; Path to the game folder. (where your Steam folder is)
                                GamePath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\PinballArcade\

; Overlay is hidden when the game starts.
                                StartHidden=1

Add new Emulator to PopUP System:

Emulator Display Name: The Pinball Arcade

EMU Name (Foldersafe): The Pinball Arcade

Description: The Pinball Arcade

Games File Exenstion: * (* will will show all files in above folder allow games to be added Game Manager)

Lanuch Setup Script:

CD [DIREMU]

Close Script:

Final 2 problems to over come:

1. Above works if you turn Windows “User Account Control Settings” to “Never notify”. Otherwise when PopUp System starts TPAFreeCamMod.exe Windows will wait for reply before running. Not found a way around this yet.

2. Unable to return to PopUp system menu, related to TPAFreeCamMod.

I can’t get this working. :-(

I followed your instructions and when I start a game, iget the following popup

Error while reading the settings file!

There was a problem reading the Settings.ini file!
                                Please re-extract it to the mod folder if the problem persists.

Can you help me ?

Soxbrother
                                Participant
                                  @soxbrother

I still can’t get it working, I thought maybe it was because of an error in your launch script :

Launch Setup Script:

START “” “[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe” 5 5 60 “PINBALL ARCADE DX11″
                                  CD [DIREMU]

it says [DIREMU]\TPAFreeCamMod.exe, I think it must be [DIREMU]TPAFreeCamMod.exe

Because in the curlaunch.bat file it said START “” “h:\TPAFreeCamMod\\TPAFreeCamMod.exe”

So clearly the 2 \\ are wrong, it can only be one.

Nevertheless, with the \\ fixed to one \, it still gives the same error message.

My curlaunch.bat file has this in it :

START “” “C:\PinUPSystem\Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe” 5 5 60 “PINBALL ARCADE DX11”
                                  CD h:\TPAFreeCamMod\
                                  START “” “h:\TPAFreeCamMod\TPAFreeCamMod.exe” -table AddamsFamily

Any idea’s ?

Thanks in advance.

Soxbrother
                                  Participant
                                    @soxbrother

I’ve managed to get it working !!

Pretty weird, but I’ve created a shortcut of the TPAFreeCamMod.exe and edited the script like this :

CD [DIREMU]
                                    START “” “[DIREMU]TPAFreeCamMod.exe – Shortcut.lnk” -table [GAMENAME]

And strangely enough that worked.

Pure luck !!

NailBuster
                                      @nailbuster
                                      ModeratorMember

I’ve managed to get it working !!

Pretty weird, but I’ve created a shortcut of the TPAFreeCamMod.exe and edited the script like this :

CD [DIREMU]

START “” “[DIREMU]TPAFreeCamMod.exe – Shortcut.lnk” -table [GAMENAME]

And strangely enough that worked.

Pure luck !!

your issue is that you cannot CD to another drive letter.  (change directory)

so you need to just put “H:” by itself on the line before CD….  or use “CD /d [DIREMU]”  /d allows drive letter changing.

(this stuff is windows batch scripting, not anything specific to pinup).

Cod3oz
                                      Participant
                                        @cod3oz

Hi all sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i have been trying to get The pinball arcade to work for a while, then i stumbled across this thread, I have followed the instruction’s but have had issues, first of all may i add , i no nothing about launch scripts etc so please excuse anything daft i may have done,

First off i had an issue where by windows 10 on attempting to launch a table would give me a error that “windows cannot find 66” upon looking at the curlaunch.bat file, I realised that in the launch script all of the “” in it were being registered as the number 6,so i deleted them from the curlaunch.bat and low and behold it works perfect outside of the front end and loads the table as intended,

Unfortunately from within popper while no longer giving the 66 error, it just stays on the table select/loading screen with nothing loaded up in the back ground,i have Uac disabled and have set all exes equal with admin rights but no dice,

Hoping someone can help me figure out what is probably a very easy fix,

Thanks in advance :)

LynnInDenver
                                        Participant
                                          @lynnindenver

Yeah, don’t disable UAC, doing that actually breaks many things in Windows these days as Windows is set up to expect UAC to be running at least at a minimum security level.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                          Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                          Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Cod3oz
                                          Participant
                                            @cod3oz

Yeah, don’t disable UAC, doing that actually breaks many things in Windows these days as Windows is set up to expect UAC to be running at least at a minimum security level.

Dont think this can help my situation but appreciate all feedback/advice, Its something i don’t normally do but as the pc in my cabinet is not online , i did not see any real issue with disabling it to save all the Uac prompts interfering with the the smooth running of the frontend, * Update*i have re enabled it to low settings, but as suspected made zero difference to the outcome, Many thanks for taking the time to try and help out though appreciated :)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?