The Shadow VPX

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    markrock76
    Participant
      @markrock76

This is The Shadow VPX table by Alessio.  I enjoyed this table greatly but felt like it could use some tweaking and improved graphics.  I began to replace elements of the playfield with images from a real playfield found on the internet.  I replaced sections little by little and it seemed to make a really big improvement.  Not all graphics of the playfield have been replaced.  I also updated the apron and added a custom apron.  Also added custom light colors.  Options found at the top of the script.  Also added shadowing and light tweaks though I am no good at lighting and am sure someone else can do much better there.  I heavily tweaked physics and am pretty happy with the results as the ball now flys around and will even bounce up on to ramps.  I also tried to make it bouncy like the real machine but without the ball rocketing around which can be tricky in VPX.  The battlefield physics were made a little livelier and hopefully challenging and I believe I got rid of any ball stuck issues if they were still there (I forgot by now).  Also some sounds were tweaked.  I could keep messing with the table forever but felt like I wanted to share what has been done as I think the improvements should not be kept to myself.  I did not know how to get in touch with Alessio so I am just posting this here so he will see or for others to try it out.  I claim nothing to be perfect by any means I have just put a lot of time in to the table and hope someone else will enjoy the enhancements.  I will remove the link and randr can close the topic if he sees fit or has complaints.

Forgot to mention Ball rolling sounds were added, fastflips is working, and flipper options just added and link updated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/poa6t3ozlyev33n/The%20Shadow%20%28Midway%201994%29.vpx?dl=0

2019-02-27_145827

6 users thanked author for this post.
      Josh
      Participant
        @osujd
        1. I really like this version thanks
        Nemo
        Participant
          @nemo

Thanks for your time and effort ! I will give this a spin later this evening  :good:

Mark70
          Participant
            @mark70

The table plays very nice in my opinion.
            Only thing, I believe the ball is a bit too fast on the battlefield (mini playfield).

Skitso
            Participant
              @skitso

Great looking table, thanks. Mini playfields lights seem to be a bit misaligned.

markrock76
              Participant
                @markrock76

Yes the mini playfield lights are misaligned.  I have not messed with them that much.  I am still tweaking physics for the mini playfield but it either seems too slow or too fast.  Finding the sweet spot is tough.  Glad it is being enjoyed for the most part.

Sliderpoint
                Participant
                  @sliderpoint
                  MemberContributor

Did you just ask Alessio if you could upload a mod? Then you could just upload it officially.

markrock76
                  Participant
                    @markrock76

Did you just ask Alessio if you could upload a mod? Then you could just upload it officially.

I sent it to someone on VPF who I thought was Alessio but it wasn’t the right Alessio but his name was Alessio so if someone knows who the correct Alessio is and how I can send it to him please let me know.  With MonsterBash site being down I no longer know how to contact him.

Thalamus
                      @thalamus
                      ContributorMemberModerator

I see the dilemma. I’ve been sitting on the edge not being sure what to do to this mod. There is no way to stop someone posting a dropbox link, but, I could have deleted your post. Instead I took contact with someone I believed was Alessio but, it seems I was wrong too.

For now – I’m letting it slide. And I would appreciate if anyone that knows how to get in contact with authors that used to host on mbpc would tell me. I’m not trying to get them to host here if that is what you think. I would however like to know their thoughts around future hosting where ever that would be. Free to mod etc. It would be a big shame if their work just became unavailable forever by the shutdown.

markrock76
                      Participant
                        @markrock76

I uploaded the table with some more tweaks to the battlefield physics.  Also I figured out how to move the battlefield kicker forward and back.  It only took all day, gave me a headache and isn’t perfect but I am relatively happy with how it looks.  Also moved the battlefield lights a little to line up better.

Mark70
                        Participant
                          @mark70

I can imagine how difficult it is to find the right physics and ball speed for the mini playfield. If it is to slow and easy the game can get boring very quickly, if it is too fast then it can be frustrating. I would say you nailed it just right, it’s challenging but doable. And it also looks right when comparing with youtube videos.

Bob Albright
                          Participant
                            @bobalbright

Thanks.  I like your version. If you are planning to tweak the table a little more, maybe you could make the lighting in the lanes of the  KHAN letters a little brighter

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

kcpinhead
                            Participant
                              @kcpinhead

I love this version, it plays so much closer to the real thing. I used to own this machine and it plays very very close to the one I owned. Only things id change if I knew how would be making the ramps look more like brushed steel and work on a few of the things on the table like the rings and the mongol figures and do a few more lighting upgrades but lighting is all personal preference. If I still had my shadow I would have gotten scans of everything. Everything was almost new.

Thanks for the upload, you did a great job.

Oh one more thing, did you add a link to the most recent version you updated?

markrock76
                              Participant
                                @markrock76

I love this version, it plays so much closer to the real thing. I used to own this machine and it plays very very close to the one I owned. Only things id change if I knew how would be making the ramps look more like brushed steel and work on a few of the things on the table like the rings and the mongol figures and do a few more lighting upgrades but lighting is all personal preference. If I still had my shadow I would have gotten scans of everything. Everything was almost new.

Thanks for the upload, you did a great job.

Oh one more thing, did you add a link to the most recent version you updated?

Thanks for the nice comments!  Those are some things I would do also if I had the knowledge and time.  But for now this is about all I can do.   I did redo some inserts in hopes of better results.  And also cleaned and redid the playfield a little towards the back.   New file uploaded!

markrock76
                                Participant
                                  @markrock76

Uploaded a new version with SSF added by Thalamus.  Thanks Thalamus!

arconovum
                                  Participant
                                    @nicholaschristopher
                                    MemberContributor

Allesio is a great guy, just contact him on that other site. B-)

CarnyPriest
                                    Participant
                                      @carnypriest

You might try changing the rom to ts_lh6p. I think that it is the most recent game code update, Might have some fixes or more desirable rule set.

markrock76
                                      Participant
                                        @markrock76

You might try changing the rom to ts_lh6p. I think that it is the most recent game code update, Might have some fixes or more desirable rule set.

Haven’t thought about a different rom.  I have just always used the same one. Will have to check out the changes.  Thanks for the heads up.

markrock76
                                        Participant
                                          @markrock76

Updated the link with some more visual improvements to the playfield, some inserts and the shooter lane.  Updated the mini kicker movement to work from the battlefield sensor like the real table.  Minor physics and lighting tweaks.  Added the newer rom suggested by CarnyPriest to the script.  Just uncomment it and comment out the other if you want to use it.

Skitso
                                          Participant
                                            @skitso

theshadow_detail

I’ve made tons of small detail and corrections in the table. I’ll send them to you when I’m done polishing things up.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?