The "thanks" button exists, use it!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

It really upsets me that people come on here and download a table that people work really hard on but cannot spend 2 seconds to hit the thanks button.  I just downloaded @Zimbakin TopGun table and 345 downloads and he only has 34 thanks.  that’s pathetic.  If you download a table, try it and keep it on your computer, then hit the damn “thanks” button.  And if you don’t then google “Manners” and learn some before you download the next one.

8 users thanked author for this post.
      Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Well said Tom !

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator

This happens across almost everything sadly. The ratio of Like / Thanks vs downloads for anything I have created is very small. I don’t “expect” it as I do what I do for my own enjoyment….mostly…. and sharing is caring.

Most of the downloaders are not forum / community people. I wasn’t either 4 years ago… but over time that changed. I agree…. it’s the least someone can do….BUT…. part of the issue is that you don’t even see the option to “like or thank” unless you click on the support TAB. Most people won’t do that unless they have a problem… so they probably never even know the option is there.

Thalamus
            @thalamus

Hmm. That is actually a very good point @terryred

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

well i fixed that with some plain text below screenshot on download page… If you open the new table release push notification from app it should open directly to first topic in forum and can thank them right there. Bottom line is most people wont do it anyways.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

heck people dont even “rate” the download with 1-5 stars! so they sure wont take 2 seconds and say thank you

for IOS and Android

-RpT
                Participant
                  @rpt

@randr – I think the star rating is more awkward to be honest, can “like” and “thanks” at the time of download but for a rating i need to transfer to the cab, set it up, check it works, get into playing the thing… then on top of that, remembering to come back here to leave a rating is a bit of an un-natural process so i’m not surprised it gets less clicks as a feature. Also i feel mean personally giving anything less than 5 stars even if i feel that way (same with other sites) since that kind of thing is subjective / personal preference and a lot of work went into some of these projects!

“Like” and “thanks” is super handy, even useful for the person giving the feedback since it’s a marker that you have already downloaded the table . I recommend everyone does this at the time of download, it literally costs nothing and the site doesn’t even run adverts! :)

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

Sure anything can be done. Point is people don’t even rate the download and that is on that page. FYI I rate 2-3 stars if table is a 2-3 star table. But I still thank them or like it!

for IOS and Android

Thalamus
                      @thalamus

Must admit. I’m one of those that don’t rate tables. I agree fully with @rpt. To give an honest rating, I would have to come back. Not that I don’t visit table threads after release. Guess it is more of a habit thing for me and seeing some of the ratings for tables over at VPF – well, no matter how bad they play I see 5 stars.

NailBuster
                        @nailbuster
                        ModeratorMember

I agree that rating stars is not a great idea.  how do you rate?

if someone is new table author/designer do you rate it a 1-2 because TOTAN is like a 5?

if i rate, its only to give 5 stars….otherwise i leave it as other stars are ‘subjective’.

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

Ratings seem about right here… maybe a bit nice… but I would say accurate

• F992FAAE-3D08-42A3-B1ED-720932BB146F

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

I could add a hook in download page for thanks or the like tied to forum post. I think

for IOS and Android

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

I agree, I also do not rate the table, not for a specific reason though.  I think the thanks tab should be on the download page as well.  I also do not place a lot of hope in receiving thanks for what I do, but to see a first or second time poster who spends ALOT of effort to make something should get some satisfaction out of it.  We all look at the stats when someone posts something to see how “veteran” they are.   Someone like Matt, @Mlager8, has put a lot of work into our last two tables but he really doesn’t get any statistical credit either, wish he could also share the thanks too.

All good though, still a wonderful hobby and a wonderful place to do it, thanks @randr!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                              Mlager8
                              Participant
                                @mlager8

Thanks for the mention Tom, as nice as receiving thanks is I don’t really expect it and honestly didn’t think much about hitting the thanks button (maybe because of low visibility?) until I started lurking around the forums enough.

Drybonz
                                Participant
                                  @drybonz

I usually leave a comment to let the author know that I like their table and appreciate the time they took.  I’m not really much into “social media” type responses because I find that whole thing anything but social.  I prefer good old fashioned talking to people to express ideas, and I’m certainly not offended if someone would choose to talk to me rather than buff my “like count”.

rothbauerw
                                    @rothbauerw
                                    ModeratorContributorMembervip

Sure anything can be done. Point is people don’t even rate the download and that is on that page. FYI I rate 2-3 stars if table is a 2-3 star table. But I still thank them or like it!

Oh, so you’re the guy that doesn’t like my work. :-(

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Schreibi34
                                    Participant
                                      @schreibi34

It’s not about getting a “Thanks” It’s about hating it when ignorant pricks grab everything with their tiny sticky fingers. My parents tought me to say thank you when someone gave me half of his chocolate bar! Think about paying somebody a beer and this guy just takes it, turns around and walks away, keeping his mouth shut! I don’t work for people with no respect IRL and i’m not doing it here! Thank god there are still a lot of the good guys left and thats the only reason i’m still helping out here and there! If i DL i click on thanks and if i have something to share i upload it for the good guys!

Badazzwi
                                      Participant
                                        @badazzwi

I hit the thanks button for everything i download be it a wheel or a masterpiece. I appreciate all the time people put into this hobby so that we all can enjoy it. A thank you is something so simple that is not said enough and it means a lot.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

randr
                                        Keymaster
                                          @randr
                                          ModeratorMember

Oh, so you’re the guy that doesn’t like my work. :-(

Well I am busted!

for IOS and Android

The Loafer
                                          Participant
                                            @theloafer

A lot of people see the like button as the same thing.   While I also don’t click thanks, I too prefer to show my appreciation by taking more time by typing a nice response.  I don’t know if it’s always appreciated but it really comes from the heart. I realize people don’t always have the time to post a wall of text but it would be nice if people would post a little text saying thanks.  At the same time, it makes them part of the community a lot more than the majority’s current anonymous approach

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?