The things you notice when you have a real pinball table

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

I’ve had a VPin for several years and I picked up an EM machine for restoration a month or so ago so the Vpin has not been getting mush play while I’m playing the EM machine many times per day as I’m making the final tweaks to it.  I decided to play some VPin today and I noticed that the front if my VPin is too low to the floor.  I went and measured both machines and the EM is 38″ to the lockdown bar while the VPin was 34.5″.

I took all of the Vpin measurements from a friends Black Knight and I messed up with the leg brackets when I put the vpin together.  The internal receiver for the leg bolts had a plate with two holes that are offset with one in the middle and the other at an outboard location.  I had mounted the brackets upside down so the front of the cab ended up 2 1/2″ closer to the floor than intended.

Today I pulled the VPin into the workshop and drilled new holes, remounted the receiver, front legs and exterior cab saver standoff to the correct orientation so now the cab sits the same as the EM.  Thankfully the legs extend far enough to cover the top set of old receiver holes.

This is one of those things that I never picked up on because I never had the chance to walk directly from a real pin to the Vpin and notice the difference!

BorgDog
      Participant
        @borgdog
        MemberContributorvip

Nice.  I think all my real pins sit at about 38″ as well and I build my vpin to match.  Interestingly when I first got TNA setup with the adjusters all the way in, as is the recommended start point, it was about an inch lower than all my old Gottliebs, and after a couple weeks of it not quite feeling right I raised it up to match the others.  It’s not in the same room as any of the others so I didn’t “see” the difference, but it just never felt the same.

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Huge deal for me as my digital pin is in a lineup of real pins so height was a must to get right :good:  makes a big difference that’s for sure

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Another huge issue was getting flipper buttons at proper distance from top. I’ve seen some digital pincabs where the buttons are very low so you really have to reach for them.

for IOS and Android

LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

We’ve started getting in parts, and it’s something in my mind to work on since the set of legs we bought ($20 a set, we bought two sets at that price so that we can pick the best four after I strip and repaint) are actually Bally Bingo legs, so they’re a little taller than on our early SS machine Solar Ride, so I have to make sure I put the holes in appropriately. I want the cab to sit similarly to the real machine we have, since it’s going to be a “classic” widebody (we just got the vintage Bally widebody lockdown and matching receiver).

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
              Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
              Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

@Scottacus : Your not the first one to turn those brackets upside down. :scratch:

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

We’ve started getting in parts, and it’s something in my mind to work on since the set of legs we bought ($20 a set, we bought two sets at that price so that we can pick the best four after I strip and repaint) are actually Bally Bingo legs, so they’re a little taller than on our early SS machine Solar Ride, so I have to make sure I put the holes in appropriately. I want the cab to sit similarly to the real machine we have, since it’s going to be a “classic” widebody (we just got the vintage Bally widebody lockdown and matching receiver).

Hey Lynn.  A couple of my system 1 machines came with a mix of leg lengths, kind of messed me up first time I put them on wrong, but I found that the more common 28 1/2″ leg on the back and the 27″ system 1’s came with originally on the front works out nice for slope without having to raise the levelers way up in the back.

Scottacus
                  Participant
                    @scottacus
                    MembervipContributor

The EM and vpin do not sit in the same room so there was no visual to let me know that I had screwed up.  It was like BorgDog’s experience when I had to reach down on the vpin and thought “Wow, this is not right!”

Oh and the other Really Big difference is that my EM boots a Lot Faster than my Vpin.  I mean the Vpin is really pretty fast but the EM boots completely in like a millisecond when I hit the left flipper.  I don’t know what kind of processor it has but it must be wicked fast!

LynnInDenver
                    Participant
                      @lynnindenver

Hey Lynn. A couple of my system 1 machines came with a mix of leg lengths, kind of messed me up first time I put them on wrong, but I found that the more common 28 1/2″ leg on the back and the 27″ system 1’s came with originally on the front works out nice for slope without having to raise the levelers way up in the back.

What we got when we got Solar Ride was a complete set of 27″ legs. We’ve got around the recommended 6 degree slope on it right now.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Scottacus
                      Participant
                        @scottacus
                        MembervipContributor

My buddies who own machines often comment when they play my vpin that “there is a delay from when I hit the flipper button to when the flipper fires.”  I thought the same thing the other day so this morning I took a metronome and shot a video of my Tropic Fun EM and the new Boomerang table that I’m working on, ran them side by side on my lap top and shot a video of them both in action.  It seems that the sound is slightly delayed in the video from the motion but surprisingly, they are both pretty much the same.  Maybe the EM’s flipper moves a little faster, maybe not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_eOy1KVipg

Thalamus
                          @thalamus

Hmm. That YT video isn’t working here. I would love to see it.

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

I cannot view it either

********************************************************
                            for IOS and Android

Scottacus
                            Participant
                              @scottacus
                              MembervipContributor

Maybe this will work?

https://youtu.be/V_eOy1KVipg

BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

nope.  I’m guessing either they are still “processing” it or permissions aren’t set

Scottacus
                                Participant
                                  @scottacus
                                  MembervipContributor

This is weird, at work I can pull up the video from the link, even before I logged in as a user for this site?

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

Link is fine but your video on YouTube must be set to private?

for IOS and Android

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                      Thalamus
                                        @thalamus

I bet the return strength on the VP flipper could be adjusted to make them even more in sync. VP flippers can be tuned with a lot of different settings. I’m confident that we could if we set or minds to it to make these flips 100% the same. In theory, then the shots should by exactly the same too. And that unfortunately, is part of the problem with VP still. It is without doubt the best pinball emulator out there, but, the ball doesn’t go exactly as in the real world. I think Roth and nFozzy have proven that a few times already.

Interesting video though, so thanks for sharing.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?