The Wiggler (Bally 1967)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

https://vpinball.com/?post_type=cmdm_page&p=198696

This is a Ted Zale design from Bally that features a three ball multiball, zipper flippers and lots of fun scoring options.  I also think that the artwork is killer.

This table has new sound routines for arch and apron rolling as well as balanced surround sound.  Flipper Tricks and nFozzy’s physics dampening routines are used to make the table play as much like a real EM as possible.

As in all of my tables there is an Option Menu that can be accessed by holding down the left flipper button before a game begins.  This can be used to set number of balls as well as many other settings.  I should mention that 0n some Wiggler’s there is a pin or a post in the left side “Death Lane” (another Zale invention along with zipper flippers, mushroom bumpers, butterfly rollovers, the Bally Gator and more) that can be enabled or disabled in the options menu.  I can’t tell if this was standard from the factory or was added in later by users to make the game easier.  Bord suggested the phrasing which I think perfectly summarizes the option.  No judgement here…

Thanks to Bord for his crazy good Blender skills and to KDS70, JR and Whirlwind for testing.  There is a B2S and wheel image included in the download.

If you don’t know much about Ted Zale and his designs there is a bunch of material out there but in summary he revolutionized pinball.  Many more resent designers like Steve Richie credit him as an inspiration .  Zale however was the Howard Hughes of pinball, good luck trying to find a photo of him.

Total of 50 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
      Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Knew nothing about Ted Zale a couple of months ago :)

Have saved away my shared beta, waiting for the full release as I knew that it still had some tweaks that you wanted to get in. I’ll be playing this one tomorrow afternoon for sure. Timezone etc. Thank you so much @scottacus and @bord ! :rose:

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

Congrats, @scottacus! I know this one has been on your list for a long time. Truly a top-shelf EM. Thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.
          kds70
          Participant
            @kds70

Thanks Scott and all involved for this very nice table release – looks and plays awesome – sorry that i was busy and couldn´t play´n´test.

:rose:

VPin: Williams Time Warp Cabinet (1979), 4K playfield: 40" Iiyama X4071UHSU, backglass: 32" LG. Pin2DMD, Pincontrol 1, LEDWiz, nudging, tilt, plunger, 10 big siemens contactors, Shaker, Strobo, Gear, Beacon, RGB Flasher 5x, Knocker, PC: Intel i5 2500k@4.5Ghz, 8 GB Ram, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, Win10

Bladeof
            Participant
              @bladeof

Thanks for this table, the preview looks awesome, can’t wait to try it.

Ben Logan2
              Participant
                @benlogan2

That’s some of the best looking lighting in VPX, imo

Scottacus
                Participant
                  @scottacus
                  MembervipContributor

You can thank Bord for that!

I hope that some of those pinheads who think that EM tables are no fun give this one a try.  Ted Zale’s designs are top notch and incorporate ideas and mechanisms that were way ahead of their time.  Capersville, Four Million BC, The Wiggler, Gator were all pushing the envelope for their time.  Yeah no DMD, no ramps (except 4MBC) , no sound track but solid game play and a fairly deep rule set for all of them considering there is no processor in them, just a score motor and a lot of switches…

JR
                  Participant
                    @jfr1

Well, you just made me speed up my ‘painting the kitchen cabinets project’!!  Really looking forward to checking this and PG out …in a few hours.  Thanks Scott and bord!!   And Zale!      guy was weird but his tables are like from another dimension

LTA
                    Participant
                      @luvthatapex

Wow this is really fun! I was looking forward to this release so much! I missed this game back in the day, though I played plenty of Ted Zale games. Somehow it eluded me for 50 years. Not anymore! What a gift, thanks!

robertms
                      Participant
                        @mophead

Stunning work guys, thanks scott (and bord)!

arconovum
                        Participant
                          @nicholaschristopher
                          MemberContributor

Thanks to you Scottacus and the team for a great release.. looks top notch!

Schreibi34
                          Participant
                            @schreibi34

Oh man, that looks really nice! And i know it plays as good as it looks!

Thanks to Scott and the team!

sheltemke
                            Participant
                              @sheltemke

Totally Stunning quality!

Rajo Joey
                              Participant
                                @joey2001

Another old beauty. Thanks for this great release. I can’t understand, why people don’t like EM-tables.
                                Maybe they are younger and never played one. It’s my age, I think. :scratch:

:good:

Scottacus
                                Participant
                                  @scottacus
                                  MembervipContributor

That’s an interesting point, more mature members of this forum grew up playing these EM tables and they set the standard for us as to what pinball is.  Once the flashy SS tables came out it they made EM’s look not too exciting because they don’t have call outs, flashers, DMD and the list goes on.

My guess is that younger players tried a few EM duds and figured that they all are not worth playing.  Once you look past the flash of “modern tables” you will see that at their core all pinball tables can be judged by three things: layout, rule set and artwork.  This levels the playing field and allows really well designed EM’s the ability to shine along with really well designed SS tables.  Not all EM’s are great but neither are all SS tables.

Dazz
                                  Participant
                                    @dazz

Just curious… Was this created with the images/scan resources from me?  If not; I may have some better images if needed. It looks great as is! Can’t wait to put it on my cab and see how it compares with the real one.

Great job!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                    united kingdom
                                    Participant
                                      @rockhouse

not 1 but 2 e.m tables your right its an age thing

you cant beat a 1960’s e.m table or 2 :good: :yahoo:

made my month many thanks

Scottacus
                                      Participant
                                        @scottacus
                                        MembervipContributor

@Dazz they might be?  I think I got the photos from Loserman76 and stitched them together in Photoshop and Bord removed all of the playfield parts and lined them up to known Bally specs but it has been a while and I might be wrong about this.

At any rate thanks for taking them!  When I first started work on this all I had was some low res photos from the web and I was going to hand redraw the table.  After I got started in inkscape I quickly gave up and this thing sat until I got the photos.  This table would have never seen the light of day without those high quality photos.

Dutchman
                                        Participant
                                          @dutchguy

Thank you Scottacus and Bord for this fantasic EM! It looks amazing! :good: :yahoo:

Bendo
                                          Participant
                                            @bendo

As one who grew up playing & owning EM pins I LOVE these tables. Thank you so much for all your hard work and sharing !!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?