The Wiggler (Bally 1967)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

Thanks, I messaged Dazz.  Those are killer photos and there are 88 of them!

It will be a while before I get back to the Wiggler Table because of the Pirate Gold and Grand Tour machines that I’m restoring and I also need to write the code for a table for Bord as well. but this artwork and more importantly access to someone with a Wiggler will make a big difference in completing the table!

Loserman76
      Participant
        @loserman76
        vipMemberContributor

How’s the progress coming on this one?  I think you were working on another one too?

Scottacus
        Participant
          @scottacus
          MembervipContributor

It’s moving up the list, Grand Tour is out, Pirate Gold is in testing and I have an updated OXO in Blender getting fixed up.  The Wriggler is next up on the list.

Scottacus
          Participant
            @scottacus
            MembervipContributor

It looks like Bord has found someone to finish up the artwork for the Wiggler so this project is a go! :yahoo:

I’m really excited to work on this table because it looks like it will play a lot like the Capersville which is another Ted Zale table that came out one year earlier in 1966.  These tables were years ahead of their time because they feature a 3 ball multiball as well as zipper flippers, multiple scoring possibilities and fast game action.

I had a partial rule set worked out when I started this project so I went back over that rule set to finish it out and came across an interesting game play question that I thought might be interesting to look at.  This will let you can see a bit of what goes on behind the scenes when making these tables so you can thank @Loserman76 and others for all of the EM’s that they’ve made.

I usually look at multiple game play videos to get a general idea of how the game plays (assuming I’ve never played or even seen a particular game).   In this case these was a particular light and gate that I was curious to see exactly what triggered it.  One of the problems with using game play videos is that there is no guarantee that the table in the video is working properly.  After all games like the Wiggler are over 50 years old and have probably been worked on and repaired for over 40 years.  In the case of this light and gate the videos did not play the same so the best way to figure out what is actually going on is to pull up the schematic of the table and figure out the logic behind what triggers the question at hand.  Here is a video of the process with an overview of how to read EM schematics.  My hope is to make these large diagrams a little less intimidating and a little more accessible.

3 users thanked author for this post.
            Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

That was neat. I’m probably going to have to watch it a few times, but, it actually started to make sense to me the first time around. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Scottacus
              Participant
                @scottacus
                MembervipContributor

EM’s are a blast to work on because you can actually see what is going on so there are no “black boxes” like in a computer.  But the really cool part is that these EM’s are actually like the transistors in a computer chip.  What these switches really become are “and” and “or” gates just like in a computer chip and how you connect them together gives you almost infinite varieties of tables.

bord
                  @bord
                  MembervipContributorModerator

EM’s are a blast to work on because you can actually see what is going on so there are no “black boxes” like in a computer. But the really cool part is that these EM’s are actually like the transistors in a computer chip. What these switches really become are “and” and “or” gates just like in a computer chip and how you connect them together gives you almost infinite varieties of tables.

I think what Scott is saying is that I should have bought my son an EM for his birthday instead of this: https://www.turingtumble.com/

bord
                    @bord

Cobbling a playfield together from photos is messy business. We have a ton of really nice photos of Wiggler from Dazz but the playfield wasn’t stripped, so when stitching we have to ignore the plastics, posts, rails, bumpers, etc. since they are sitting closer to the lens than the playfield. Photoshop can’t ignore those things so there isn’t an autostitch option here. Thankfully we know some standard pinball dimensions to test this against. Photos can be scaled to match standard insert sizes, shooter lane width, top arch dimensions, etc.

wigglerstart

What we end up with is a fairly rigorous educated guess. Thankfully the photos were so detailed that we can use 95% of the linework and lettering without the need to redraw. Many hours of painting out plastics, bumpers, posts lie ahead but the final product looks better than an average redraw, IMO.

I am building this in Blender concurrent with the redraw to make sure art placement makes sense with properly sized playfield elements. Bottom half is done except for the plastics. Top half will be the hard part.

wigglerstart3

Scottacus
                    Participant
                      @scottacus
                      MembervipContributor

Thanks for all of the hard work on making the Wiggler come to life!  The Blender render is amazing and I’m really excited to get this table built so we can start testing it.

The Truing Tumble game looks awesome!  I checked out the web site and it looks like they are some sort of kick start and will be shipping orders in August.  Using an comic book to engage kids in the learning process is really a great idea.  I’m sure your son will love this.  It looks like all of the fun of a mechanical computer without the 110v line voltage B-)

JR
                      Participant
                        @jfr1

That does look very cool.  Growing up my neighbor had Avalanche from Parker Brother’s and I’d been eyeing them on ebay recently – – Avalanche  This looks way more interesting.

Wiggler is looking fantastic!!

Scottacus
                        Participant
                          @scottacus
                          MembervipContributor

The B2s is ready to go.

Untitled

JR
                          Participant
                            @jfr1

Nice!!

HiRez00
                            Participant
                              @hirez00

Thank god I found this thread – because I had started a redraw on the playfield and backglass for this table from some images I found …

Looks like I don’t need to now – looks great!

Thanks. Really looking forward to seeing the final table done.

P.S. If you need help with any graphics – let me know.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                              JR
                              Participant
                                @jfr1

@hirez00  – – lot’s of other Ted Zale tables yet to be brought to virtual life!

Scottacus
                                Participant
                                  @scottacus
                                  MembervipContributor

One interesting thing about the Wiggler BG is that it has yellow Wiggler Super Jet reels at the bottom right.  Those get incremented with balls kicked out of saucers and if you get enough of them you get a free game.  B2S is not set up for auxiliary reels, only score and credit reels so how do you do these?

I had to deal with these reels plus an additional circle/triangle/square reel on Capersville so I’ve seen these before.  When you set up B2S reels they get assigned a reel number which is of no consequence for score reels since the B2S will take care of stepping up carry over numbers (like 99 -> 100).  You can directly drive a B2S reel based upon its reel number so that is how you deal with non-score reels.

HiRez00
                                  Participant
                                    @hirez00

Wiggler-wheel

Made this wheel last week if you want it or want to include it as a wheel image when everything is done, if you haven’t made one already.

Looking forward to playing this rare EM.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                    Loserman76
                                    Participant
                                      @loserman76
                                      vipMemberContributor

One interesting thing about the Wiggler BG is that it has yellow Wiggler Super Jet reels at the bottom right. Those get incremented with balls kicked out of saucers and if you get enough of them you get a free game. B2S is not set up for auxiliary reels, only score and credit reels so how do you do these?

I had to deal with these reels plus an additional circle/triangle/square reel on Capersville so I’ve seen these before. When you set up B2S reels they get assigned a reel number which is of no consequence for score reels since the B2S will take care of stepping up carry over numbers (like 99 -> 100). You can directly drive a B2S reel based upon its reel number so that is how you deal with non-score reels.

B2S has the ability to handle up to 6 player scores. Just set it up as player 5 and concatenate the digits together to send as score 5. I think I did this for some other table that has these extra set of reels. Now I need to look through my project folders to see.

Scottacus
                                      Participant
                                        @scottacus
                                        MembervipContributor

Sure you could do that and parse out each player as 1000, 100, 10 or 1’s.  Another way is to send the data directly to the reels by their number.  For example in The Wiggler there are four players and each reel set has four reels so reels 1 – 16 are score reels.  If we set up the Super Wiggle Jet Bonus reels as 17 – 20 we can use something like this to drive them

If B2SOn Then Controller.B2SSetReel (Player+16), SWJBonus(Player)

Player 1 will be reel 17 … Player 4 = Reel 20

bord
                                          @bord

wigglerstart4

Quick update on visuals. All playfield art and physical meshes are done. Needs plastics and detailing yet.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Scottacus
                                          Participant
                                            @scottacus
                                            MembervipContributor

Alright :yahoo:   :yahoo:   :yahoo:

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?