Top Gun WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    zimbakin
    Participant
      @zimbakin

Update:
      – All the PUP loading videos are done (apart from a few bugs and tweaks due to rendering issues).
      I’ve had a blast doing this part of the project. There are way too many hilarious quotes that make me smile from ear to ear. I think it’s looking pretty cool so far (thanks to Paramount pictures).

That being said, I’ve hit a few hurdles with PUP activations that I’m working through.

I thought by starting with a simple rule set, it would make things easier to get this going. Wrong. The rule set is too simple and limits my ability to activate everything I want to activate easily. The best solution would be to script this table from scratch, or possibly script the PUP activations (I’m considering the latter, if I can get motivated). However re-scripting is beyond my ability and would take all the fun out of this..for now.
      Right now this is basically a really fun table to play, so I’m reluctant to perfect it at this stage (mostly due to my scripting ability).

I’m really close, yet so far.. anyway as it stands it’s a super fun table to play at testing stage.

Never take advice from me,
      you'll end up drunk.

Pinballfan2018
      Participant
        @pinballfan2018

If you have any questions I can help you. I did the Batman 66 PupPack which would be similar to this. Switches will be your friend! Lights can be tricky depending how the script is written. Unfortunately like the Batman table, Space Shuttle doesn’t have a sexy DMD to do the Pupcapture feature.

Currently working TNA PUPDMD

1 user thanked author for this post.
        portyman
        Participant
          @portyman

What a beautiful table.

Take me me to bed or lose me forever

st3ph3n
          Participant
            @st3ph3n

Looks awesome, I look forward to its release.

zimbakin
            Participant
              @zimbakin

If you have any questions I can help you. I did the Batman 66 PupPack which would be similar to this. Switches will be your friend! Lights can be tricky depending how the script is written. Unfortunately like the Batman table, Space Shuttle doesn’t have a sexy DMD to do the Pupcapture feature.

Thanks man.

I’m using a combination of switches and lights. The best solution would be to script this table from scratch. However, I’m getting close with some tricked out switch/light combos.

The biggest limitation is x5 checks on PUP activations  eg. “TOP*GUN” = 7. The only way I can see a way around this is to either rescript the entire table (ideal), script in PUP activations or compromise and reward TOP and GUN separately. For now, I’m going with TOP and GUN split just to get this done. Maybe someone can help fix this in a later release.

If I go down the ‘script from scratch’ approach, I think I’d up the ante’ and probably redo the table to try and make it better. However, the mid/late 80’s rule set fits the time frame for Top Gun pretty well, so thinking I could also ruin what is already great/cool for that time frame.

Really appreciate the support.

you'll end up drunk.

baalisan
              Participant
                @baalisan

Looking AMAZING!  So fully pumped for this table, cannot wait!  Thanks so much for this zimbakin!   :yahoo:

Scooby
                Participant
                  @scooby

Just saw this WIP. It looks really good and you work so fast. Impressive and I look forward to seeing it whenever it’s ready.

zimbakin
                  Participant
                    @zimbakin

Thanks for the motivation guys, getting close.

Working on the ‘game over’ PUP activation which is really tricky on this table’s rom set (my bad). Don’t want to interrupt attract mode, launch or drain PUPs… if Mav goes into a flat spin one more time I’ll kick my PC. Hang in there boys.

you'll end up drunk.

zimbakin
                    Participant
                      @zimbakin

Hey guys, quick post.

The project is still rolling. As always, life gets in the way of a good time.
                      Was nearly done until I bit the bullet to try and do this a better way.

Update:
                      – Thanks to LynnInDenver we have an active Backglass score (high on my wishlist)
                      – Moving PUP activations into script for tighter control and also so we can display the score on the backglass with PUP videos (as above). AKA ‘The learning curve’.

you'll end up drunk.

st3ph3n
                      Participant
                        @st3ph3n

Sounds great, take your time :)

lukpcn
                        Participant
                          @lukpcn

Need a tester maybe ?

zimbakin
                          Participant
                            @zimbakin

Need a tester maybe ?

Thanks man, I appreciate the offer  :good: I’ll release it as Beta and if anyone likes it they can jump in to improve it.

‘Edit / / / / / / / / /
                            If any of the seasoned scripting gurus out there have time to look at or streamline the script. PM me, Thanks.
                            (It’s a pretty simple table)

you'll end up drunk.

zimbakin
                            Participant
                              @zimbakin

Nearly there guys!!
                              99% of the bugs are sorted as far as beta goes, I’m sure there will be more after release.

• PUPs are all scripted in and working great (so much better for this particular table and glad I took the plunge).
                              • Making final tweaks (added some extra sidewinder missile toys and lights woohoo!)
                              • Playing the table looking for last minute bugs (there’s a couple I noted in the script that I won’t touch prior to release just to get it out there)

Main thing that held me back:
                              I had grabbed some script from another table to control the music and it was crashing the game. It was using the vpmtimer and overloading the ROM…Goose wasn’t happy. Added some new timers and Hollywood isn’t complaining as much, so we’re all good.

This will be an FS Cab table (pic is just for testing) (Desktop will run fine also, but will need to spend more time adjusting lights later)

IMG_8089

you'll end up drunk.

baalisan
                              Participant
                                @baalisan

screen-shot-2017-05-24-at-8-55-01-am

zimbakin
                                Participant
                                  @zimbakin

8122311E-E255-4C98-A2FB-7D71281796B8

you'll end up drunk.

zimbakin
                                  Participant
                                    @zimbakin

8122311E-E255-4C98-A2FB-7D71281796B8

you'll end up drunk.

zimbakin
                                    Participant
                                      @zimbakin

v30.8…. nearly there :wacko:
                                      Had to travel, so delayed this again. Back now and focussed on getting this done.

– added multi-ball awareness to script, in order to fix game over / drain bug on p2, p3, p4
                                      – still not happy with F14 wing primitive.. I’ll concede on this one and call it a beta
                                      – testing

topgun

you'll end up drunk.

sheltemke
                                      Participant
                                        @sheltemke

Great news :) Cannot wait, this will be a blast table for sure. :good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQw0gKEtq4

The one which start in 34:45 will be the “Main” music of the table?

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation
                                          MemberContributor

Classic!

Hope TG2 lives up to the original and isn’t another disappointing sequel.

zimbakin
                                          Participant
                                            @zimbakin

Great news :) Cannot wait, this will be a blast table for sure. :good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQw0gKEtq4

The one which start in 34:45 will be the “Main” music of the table?

I hate to say nearly there because it keeps biting me in the butt…but… nearly there. Every time I fix a bug a new one pops up, so will release as Beta any day now and hopefully the community can help. They’re pretty minor PUP bugs, gameplay works fine.

The video is ‘unavailable’, however there are x4 songs on random for main music from the movie (the main one’s of course). If it’s not to your liking you can simply delete what’s there and drop any .mp3 into [PUPVideos/TopGun/MusicGameplay] folder and it will pick them up randomly.

you'll end up drunk.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 50 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?