TOTAL NEWBIE >> QUESTIONS on building first VP

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SpaceTimeGuy
    Participant
      @spacetimeguy

Hi,   I am a total newbie to Virtual Pinball … (but a pinball fanatic) … I saw a guy on Facebook selling VP’s in decent cabinets he made for $550 … I have a vintage cabinet that I want to use so would like to make my own VP.    I don’t need the 4K (VPX??) and would like to spend ~$500.  If there is a link to a Forum post or Website or Youtube video >> that would be great … THANK YOU !!!  My specific questions are…

#1.  Everytime you turn on your virtual pin do you have to pull the keyboard out of cabinet and sign in and start the Visual Pinball program running??

#2. 32″ TV will fit in my cabinet.  Hard to find 1080p TV’s … will a 720p provide decent results?   Is a 120 refresh rate important?  (Looks like most/all only have a 60 refresh rate) …

#3.  Which version(??) of Visual Pinball should I download?

#4.  What requirements for computer ?  and which graphics card do you recommend?

#5.   What else will I need (buttons, cables, etc..) ?   is there a good place to buy them or a kit available?

#6.   How hard to add whatever is needed so when you nudge the cabinet >> it bumps the ball in the “game”?

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

I’m sorry. Many questions. All been answered many times before. You won’t come far if you don’t spend time in any of these forums on your own. Personally, I don’t care much to try to help lazy guys, if however I see that a user has tried to get something working and are stuck. Well, that is a different story.

Maybe someone else is willing to say this all over again. But, don’t hold your breath.

SpaceTimeGuy
        Participant
          @spacetimeguy

I understand … I search system requirements in Forums and last post was a year ago …  Maybe I missed something … Why I posted “Is there a link to all these basic questions?” … I will try Searching some more. … Thanks for the input …

JR
          Participant
            @jfr1
            SpaceTimeGuy
            Participant
              @spacetimeguy

http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/BuildGuideV2/BuildGuide.php?sid=toc&from=resources

:-)

THANK YOU !!!!  Looks like just what I need to get started !!   I have to run a few errands but will dive into that link this evening !  I’m excited !!!  THANKS AGAIN !

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

Recommend that you read that, and experiment with the software – figure our what kind of setup you want. There is cabs, stubbies, VR, SSF – many choices.

install : https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=160 – should get you going.

SpaceTimeGuy
                Participant
                  @spacetimeguy

Recommend that you read that, and experiment with the software – figure our what kind of setup you want. There is cabs, stubbies, VR, SSF – many choices.

install : https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=160 – should get you going.

OH NO !!!  More choices … LOL … OK …  Will read through that Forum thread after the Build Guide website !   THANKS !!

JR
                  Participant
                    @jfr1

” I don’t need the 4K (VPX??) ”      yes, you do.  I would not do a build now without 4k.  My ‘practice’ build is 2 years old, 1080 and successfully runs on a meager set-up and has been amazing to experiment with.  But you don’t want to do a build now without using 4k stuff.  I forget how helpful this thread was but check it out – – https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/500-full-size-cab-can-it-be-done-lets-find-out/

SpaceTimeGuy
                    Participant
                      @spacetimeguy

I read so much of @mjr  ‘s info on his link … I am still here !!   AMAZING INFO !!!!  @JR (@jfr1)  THANKS AGAIN  !!! HUGE HELP!    And not sure if that is your page … but if not a HUGE THANKS to @mjr for taking the time to document all of that wisdom !!!!   That one link probably saved me 20 hours or searches and asking questions …. and really gave me an idea of what is really involved and all the options available !!   Think I am going to build a kind of basic one now … and if I really like it build another that is more advanced.   Thanks SO MUCH !!!   Next, I will check out @Thalamus recommended !

SpaceTimeGuy
                      Participant
                        @spacetimeguy

” I don’t need the 4K (VPX??) ” yes, you do. I would not do a build now without 4k. My ‘practice’ build is 2 years old, 1080 and successfully runs on a meager set-up and has been amazing to experiment with. But you don’t want to do a build now without using 4k stuff. I forget how helpful this thread was but check it out – – https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/500-full-size-cab-can-it-be-done-lets-find-out/

OH MAN !!!   Just saw your post about 4K …  HMMMM …. Now is the time (with Black Friday sales) …. OK …. Will keep that in mind …. May have to go back to the “drawing board” !!!!?   …

SpaceTimeGuy
                        Participant
                          @spacetimeguy

P.S.   and DANG >> Yesterday there was a Stellar Wars for sale in the town next to me for $550 witha beautiful cabinet (but playfield had a lot of wear) … I thought of buying it and parting out and keeping cabinet for a good VP build … (I am not a fan of parting out a complete pin .. but …. ) …. Anyway, it is SOLD now …. Guess that solves the dilemma … LOL  … Stellar Wars is a Wide Body so would have been great for a really nice 4K build … And I am into Outer Space theme pinballs … so would have been perfect …. Well, hopefully whomever got it will give it a great home !

JR
                          Participant
                            @jfr1

Hey!  So glad that link helped.  It took me a very long time to wrap my mind around all this stuff.  Still wrapping.  I acquired an old EM I thought was beyond hope to use as a vp cab.  But then it started up and I spent 8 months rehabbing that.  I would recommend to anyone thinking of using a real pincab for their vp project to only consider already gutted cabs.  If the guts are still in there, regardless of how beat up the rest may look, that pin can be brought back to life.

So my pin came back to life and I used it as the template to build my vp cab.  If you are handy with a saw and drill, building a cab around whatever pf monitor you go with IS THE WAY TO GO!  Answer this question – do you want to build something quickly that is up and running in a few weeks, or do you want a project that is on-going, years in the making?  An amazing thing about this ‘hobby’ is how everyone’s journey is completely different.

And whatever way you go, use a 4k pf.      oh – Space Shuttle by bord is a good place to start for outer space tables!

themotherbrain
                            Participant
                              @themotherbrain

I’m going to join the chorus and say invest in the 4k. If you are a fan, then you will want it eventually. I did 1080 at first because of lag on 4k, but it seems as soon as I got that up and running “fast flips” came around and solved the issue. So I bought a 4k TV. The difference in resolution was night and day. So worth it! Then I found the asus xg438q that does 120hz so I bought that next! Even better still! See a pattern here? LOL! I have enough parts to build 2 more cabs now! :wacko:

SpaceTimeGuy
                              Participant
                                @spacetimeguy

I built one !!  (just kidding … Lucked out and got a virtual pinball in a trade for a pinball I was selling) … OMG … AMAZING … I’m hooked !   I will play it for a while and then decide where to go to from here … THANK YOU for all the advice and info !!!!!   HAPPY PINBALLING !!

JR
                                Participant
                                  @jfr1

That’s cheating.  You just missed out on all the fun.

SpaceTimeGuy
                                  Participant
                                    @spacetimeguy

That’s cheating. You just missed out on all the fun.

RIGHT …. It has a 1080p TV … think I will end up modifying it … or more likely >> selling it and building a 4K with nudge and shooter rod  … but it was a good way to try it to make sure I like it ( I DO !!!! ) … and I want to try and add some tables to make sure I can figure out that part of the computer software stuff  (I’m not great with computers) …

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?