Transparent general loading video

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Herweh
    Participant
      @herweh
      vipMemberContributor

Hurricane 1.0 is finished so time to install all that stuff to my cab I have missed the last 2 months.

Just a few minutes ago I found Malinas‘ beautiful T-Arc wheel images here in the download section and will add them to my Popper setting. As this are just images and no videos I‘m thinking about a general loading video mostly transparent, maybe just the cycling „donut“ visible or even totally transparent.

Does my idea work to use such a video with the wheel images? As I‘m not the video guy has anyone of you guys already created such a video?

Thx a lot for help or pointing me into the right direction.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

You can but need to change some settings in nvidia control panel for transparent to work properly and makes transition scary seemless from front end to table but @nailbuster is really the guy to ask

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Herweh
        Participant
          @herweh
          vipMemberContributor

Thx randr, but maybe I have to say that this is no transparency issue. Transparency is working fine here at my cab, it‘s more that I want to use some wheel images and don‘t want to get them overlapped with the loading arc of the video. Malinas designed some cool wheel images with detailed stuff in the arc. So when I use the standard arc loading videos these art gets overlapped by the blue or red or whatever arc of the loading video. Doesn‘t look as cool as it could look.

After another hour of testing I have seen that the loading video isn‘t overlapping as the wheel image is hidden in that moment. So I expect the only solution is to design loading videos in the style of the wheels.

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

I’m sure @terryred when he has time, can/will chime in here. What he doesn’t know about this, probably isn’t work knowing :)

NailBuster
              @nailbuster
              ModeratorMember

@herweh :  yes the menu-wheelbar is hidden during loading.  So your options are to make a png or mp4 with the same style that can be displayed for that particular game (or playlist default).

you could trick it and take the wheelbar t-arc backdrop and wheel image onto your loading video and pulse the words ‘please wait’ in video editor… 100 ways to skin that cat.

zimbakin
              Participant
                @zimbakin

Make sure any loading video contains the Alpha channel for transparency (RGBA) and the dimensions match Tarcisio or Terry’s theme size eg. 4k should be 1080 x 2160 for Tarcisio’s 4k T-ARC theme. Should work fine.

Never take advice from me,
                you'll end up drunk.

zimbakin
                Participant
                  @zimbakin

…plus:
                  – export as H.264
                  – bit rate of 1.75 Mbit/s to keep the file size down
                  – video length max. 30 seconds
                  Be sure to have the system working correctly with default themes before trying to create your own.

you'll end up drunk.

TerryRed
                    @terryred
                    MemberContributorModerator

Make sure any loading video contains the Alpha channel for transparency (RGBA) and the dimensions match Tarcisio or Terry’s theme size eg. 4k should be 1080 x 2160 for Tarcisio’s 4k T-ARC theme. Should work fine.

No such thing needed for Transparent Videos.

To clarify….the Transparent Loading Videos are just normal h264 mp4 videos. Nothing special or different about them. The only thing you need to know is that anywhere in the video that has “Black” (R:0. G:0, B:0)…THAT will be transparent. No Alpha channels, etc.

All PuP does is make that specific VLC window run in transparent mode. Otherwise its no different than how other videos are played.

The important thing is making sure that you can run your PC, GPU, and TV in Full RGB correctly to allow transparency to work correctly, since you need 0-255 colour range…and Black is 0. If somehow your PC / video is playing in 16-235 Limited Range….then you can’t display colour 0 (Black) correctly….and therefor no Transparency in the videos.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    zimbakin
                    Participant
                      @zimbakin

Thanks for clarifying. That explains why I get subtle edge pixelation on everything.
                      Would be great in the future if the system could support alpha channel transparency for cleaner graphics.

you'll end up drunk.

TerryRed
                        @terryred

Thanks for clarifying. That explains why I get subtle edge pixelation on everything.
                        Would be great in the future if the system could support alpha channel transparency for cleaner graphics.

Not going to happen with 24 bit videos that play in VLC media player. That fact that we get it at all is beyond what anyone else has done with this type of software (front-end).

Normally your only other option would be 256 colour GIFs.

zimbakin
                        Participant
                          @zimbakin

Ok cool, I’m too used to doing things post with a render engine. Learning every day.

Maybe in the future you could go with a standard chroma key such as green? For whatever reason, my 4k picks up some shadow areas (not pure black) and pixelates edges. I’ll check screen and system setup again.

you'll end up drunk.

TerryRed
                            @terryred

Ok cool, I’m too used to doing things post with a render engine. Learning every day.

Maybe in the future you could go with a standard chroma key such as green? For whatever reason, my 4k picks up some shadow areas (not pure black) and pixelates edges. I’ll check screen and system setup again.

We can use any colour we want for transparency…but that won’t change it from having “some” colour blended artifacts on the edges of your “compressed” video. It’s simply the end result of compressed video…the only way to avoid that is uncompressed video…which is ridiculously large…like 30 GB for 30 sec! We can’t use an alpha channel with this kind of video format….it doesn’t work the same as PNGs etc do.

So if you try to use Green….instead you will get a green outline on your video and green artifacts.

So Black is the colour of choice as it looks better than anything else…..it simply comes down to how well the video can be compressed with as little compression artifacts / blending as possible.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?