Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Shiftysamurai
    Participant
    @shiftysamurai

So I did a dumb thing. I didn’t back up my VP folders before “testing” PinUp system on my cab. I also didn’t give myself enough time to fully install it before I had to travel for work. When I got home I forgot where I was, and decided to load PinballX up and see if anything was broken. Unfortunately, it was.

Now I have numerous tables that throw a “C:\PF(86)\VP\VPM\DmdDevice.dll – No DMD device driver found”, including anything new that relies on a DMD. Some tables still work, but they try to display FormDMD, PinballX DMD, and VPinMameDMD(the one I want) and it looks like trash. I use a 10in screen for DMD, the cab is a VirtuaPin mini.

I’ve been out of the game for a while now due to movers destroying my homemade cabinet and I just got a replacement a few months ago (I was without for 9 months, thanks to insurance), so I don’t remember much in regards to setup. I wouldn’t be opposed to just copying my media, database, tables, and ROMS over to another folder and blowing away this install, but I don’t know if this issue is being saved to ROMS or if it’s in my registry somewhere…

I’m not blaming PinUp, because I’m the idiot who jumped in without backing up, or knowing what I was doing, but if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. I don’t really care if that help means that I end up using PinUp (which is supposed to be faster than PBX, right?) or PinballX. I just want to be able to play my cab again. I like to use my playfield in portrait, though. It’s easier for me to add tables that way and do other PC maintenance. I’m pretty sure the point I stopped with setting up PinUp was when I couldn’t get the wheel to orient correctly on my playfield in portrait.

Thalamus
    @thalamus
    ContributorMemberModerator

The first problem is where you install VP. Never install it to c:\program files\xxxx.

Use c:\vp or something outside the default folders that windows uses. My advice. Run VP uninstaller. Then run the latest version to a new and improved location and I’m pretty sure you end up with a better setup. Tables, users, nvram and roms – you just move from the old location to the new.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Thalamus
    @thalamus

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/vpx-installer-10-5-0/

TerryRed
    @terryred
    MemberContributorModerator

Yes, I would get everything up top date as Thamalus described….10.5 All in One Installer is good….then Carney’s Pinmame update at VPU, then install freezy 1.71 32 bit version files to your PinMAME folder.

Now the current Pinup System installer installs an older 1.6 version of freezy that was modded and needed for pup-packs back in the day. This was the only actual “change” that the installer did. Things have now changed for the better however.

Very recently freezy has added to 1.71 dmdext (his version of dmddevice.dll) official pup support and vni colouring for real DMD, and virtual DMDs. So now everyone can use the same dmddevice.dll !

So basically get your VPX all up to date and working first…install freezy 1.71 32 bit files and configure your dmddevice.ini file for whatever type of DMD you have. Then backup your dmddevice.ini file after its all working good!

Then install Pinup System:

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/pinup-system-player-and-popper-front-end-install/

then update to the latest version (highly recommended):

http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=release_notes

…then reinstall freezy 1.71 32 bits in VPinMAME! Then copy back your previously working 1.71 dmddevice.ini file!

Needless to say, the next version of PinupSystem won’t need to install custom freezy files, since its now officially supported.

Shiftysamurai
    Participant
    @shiftysamurai

Well, something in the reinstall fixed the DMDdevice.dll not found error. Thank you!

I’m still getting multiple DMDs and DMD borders showing up when trying to play tables, but at least they start.

Edit: The “Ball doesn’t roll” search meant the texture on a table wasn’t rolling and isn’t related to this issue. :D

Attachments:
    Thalamus
    @thalamus

Take a look inside dmddevice.ini – the virtual dmd is enable and that is the one you want. You want to turn off the pinmame one after using freezy’. Please read the doc over at his github page for more details.

TerryRed
    @terryred
    MemberContributorModerator
    Shiftysamurai
    Participant
    @shiftysamurai

Ok, looks like all of my b2s have had their DMDs turned on, as well as the DMDs from inside of PinballX. I’ve shut off the PinballX DMD stuff, and it looks like I need to go through and turn off b2s DMDs individually (because some of the tables use them and I don’t remember which ones.

I updated PinMAME and installed freezy’s dmdext, it makes the DMDs look much better, but it looks like another thing I’ll need to change for each of my ROMS, unless I am missing something simple. The PinMAME default is now the external dll DMD, so I might only have a few hundred ROMs to go through.

I’ve also downloaded the newer build of PinUp, as well as the installer. I’ll take another stab at it as soon as I get these ROMs done.

Edit: Attached an image. Now all of my older style alphanumeric games are displaying a DMD, and I’m not sure how to disable it.

Attachments:
    Thalamus
    @thalamus

You turn off the external dmd. And for massive change of roms. Export registry then search and replace and import again.

Shiftysamurai
    Participant
    @shiftysamurai

So I’ll need to do that through PinMAME setup and loading each ROM individually?

Thalamus
    @thalamus

That is the slow way of doing it – yes. The fast way. Export registry and use a text editor to do a search/replace. This explains something else. But, gives you some info on how to use regedit https://vpinball.com/wiki/visual-pinball-knowledge-base/turning-onoff-at91jit/

You right click the freeware “folder” and choose export. Give that file a name. Eg. Freeware.reg – open it in your favorite text editor ( notepad++ is nice ). Do a search and replace for those roms you want to change. You probably want to change ddraw from 1 to 0 while your at it btw. Save then the text file down and import the changes by double clicking. Done. I don’t remember the exact keys you need to change. But, you can easily find that out by comparing what changes from one you’ve done manually. Also smart to do. If there is something you want for all you roms. Eg. ddraw = 0. Make that key inside the “table/rom” that is called “default”. Values from that is used when ever you open a new rom from the first time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW