Twilight Zone Skitso Detail Mod

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 241 total)
  • Author
    Schreibi34
    Participant
      @schreibi34

Tested some more today. Visible prims are not the problem! I have the odd feeling that something is getting out of sync with the rom. When throwing balls in with the mouse you can trigger stuff in an odd sequence. So i’m not sure if throwing in balls will cause confusion here. Deleting the nvram fixed it for a while before he started to not release the gumball again. Maybe there is something wrong with the detection of the gumball in certain areas! If you watch the TNT video Todd is saying something about the table sensing the ball with metal detectors in two locations. Look at this video from the 6:30 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9F37oRoZYg

If those calls are missing on the VPX table, the rom might get out of sync. So if one of the script masters could have a look if the ceramic ball is detected correctly in the right spots, that would maybe help.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Skitso
      Participant
        @skitso

Had a stuck ball again, even with the changed powerball mass value, so it’s not that either.

Skitso
        Participant
          @skitso

@Schreibi34 who are these “script masters” you mentioned that could fix this?

Schreibi34
          Participant
            @schreibi34

Anyone who is reading this and knows how to script in VP!

Draifet
            Participant
              @draifet

Maybe the problem is on your side, I tried the powerball like 10 times or more, and it never stuck. Some ideas: Try lowering the graphic options, change the default fps cap, and check if u changed by mistake the position or values of the kickers on the gumball machine since your official release.

Skitso
              Participant
                @skitso

Thanks for dropping by @Draifet. My system is pretty high-end and running locked 165hz without breaking a sweat. The problem is, as you can see if you read this thread, that the issue is hard to catch as the gumball machine might work flawlessly for long periods of time. The same issue is on Ninuzzus original table too, and others in this thread have the same problem, so it’s definitely not only on my end.

The issue is rare, but it definitey is there. And when it hits you, it might do it many times in a row.

Draifet
                Participant
                  @draifet

Ah ok, have u tried the 2 roms, arcade and home? I will try a few more powerballs. Thanks.

Thalamus
                    @thalamus
                    ContributorMemberModerator

Thanks for looking into it Draifet. As Skitso says. You can play 10 powerballs after each other and everything is fine. Then on the 11th and the 12th it is a problem – or not. Hard to track down as it happens very irregularly.

Draifet
                    Participant
                      @draifet

I played like 20 more powerballs, with the ceramic ball at the 3 positions (random at the start), I only got one ball stuck but I think it was cause I was using the ball control with the mouse movement and i didn’t released the ball on time pressing the left flipper, on the next few games it was ok again. Sorry, as u said is very hard to track. By the way I’m using the home rom with free credits, but I tried a few more with the arcade rom and nothing. Maybe u can try to change a little the values of the 3 kickers (layer 1 under the gumball machine), change radius to 17 and hit accuracy to 0,8. Have u tried to contact Nfozzy?

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Thalamus
                        @thalamus

I haven’t contacted anyone. My hope is that someone smarter than us is going to read it and come to the rescue :)

Skitso
                        Participant
                          @skitso

Calling for @Nfozzy

Schreibi34
                          Participant
                            @schreibi34

I played like 20 more powerballs, with the ceramic ball at the 3 positions (random at the start), I only got one ball stuck but I think it was cause I was using the ball control with the mouse movement and i didn’t released the ball on time pressing the left flipper, on the next few games it was ok again. Sorry, as u said is very hard to track. By the way I’m using the home rom with free credits, but I tried a few more with the arcade rom and nothing. Maybe u can try to change a little the values of the 3 kickers (layer 1 under the gumball machine), change radius to 17 and hit accuracy to 0,8. Have u tried to contact Nfozzy?

I have changed all of that to almost every value possible. I straightened the ramp, changed radius back and forth and i have set the kicker position to where the balls don’t touch each other. No change! Every time the ball got stuck there were 4 balls in the GB machine. So what does actually trigger the ball release if it’s not the fourth ball? What does that invisible roll over target do at the end of that vertical wire ramp? Is it possible that it takes the ball too long to get to it’s kicker or the target? Or is the ball too fast and the trigger is not registering the rollover? Lot’s of questiomarks, i know!

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

Hmm. Good info. Thanks.

Thalamus
                                @thalamus

Haven’t played enough to conclude. Might be in a round of lucky not to fail. But, I changed the trigger under the gumball to a star trigger, nothing else and obviously it hasn’t failed yet.. I’m sure that once I write this, then it is going to happen again :) I should probably find a manual and read a bit about what the different switches do. Might be that switch is unrelated for all I know :unsure:

Skitso
                                Participant
                                  @skitso

Okay, great. Could you post exact changes you made (and how), and I’ll test it too! Maybe I’ll get to release the 1.2 with couple of new shadow and lighting improvements then. ;)

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

Sure.

cntr+shift+E – opens element selector. Scroll down to sw56. Under options, change Shape to “TriggerStar”.

As I said. Just an experiment, but, I’ve played a few hours already without any problems.

tz_change_sw56

Schreibi34
                                    Participant
                                      @schreibi34

Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus

Well. According to the manual – sw56 is gumball exit. Might not come as a surprise ? Hehe. But, if Screibi34 is right, it might just be that it sometimes misses that switch. One way we could verify it with is to change the script and run some debug.print calls.

change

Sub sw56_Hit: Controller.Switch(56) = 1:PlaySound “fx_sensor” : End Sub

to

Sub sw56_Hit: Controller.Switch(56) = 1:PlaySound “fx_sensor” : debug.print HIT: End Sub

– start table. Press D and then the small arrow so the console comes up. Then play and every time a ball is ejected we should see “HIT” being written to the console.

Skitso
                                        Participant
                                          @skitso

I’ve now tested Thalamus’ fix for the gumball machine issue for a while and… it has worked flawlessly so far!  :yahoo:

Skitso
                                          Participant
                                            @skitso

Version 1.2 released!

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/twilight-zone-skitso-detail-mod/

Changes:

• Hopefully fixed gumball machine jam (Thanks Thalamus!)
                                            • Improved slot machine lighting
                                            • Improved small clock lighting
                                            • Improved pyramid lighting
                                            • Improved pyramid texture (shadow and blue light)
                                            • Few small shadow and flasher improvements

Please play the table and check if you get the ball stuck in the gumball machine. It’s really rare, so the more people test it the better! Thanks every one!

I’m really proud and happy how this mod turned out, hopefully you guys like it!

3 users thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 241 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?