update firmware on kl25z

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

its been a while since i installed my kl25z for nudging.  I am having an issue where i either need to unplug and plug the usb back in to recognize the kl25z on startup or hit the reset button.  I went to the pinscape controller program to update the firmware and when i plug it into the programming port, it doesnt read it and no green light.  If i remember when i set it up, it didnt like win 10.  Is that still a problem

JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

I set up mine around 6 months ago and still had to use a Win7 machine.  Kinda wacko.

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

I hate this piece of junk… I wanna love it though, that’s why I am so mad

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

I tried updating on a win 7 computer and it still doesnt recognize the program mode

Badazzwi
            Participant
              @badazzwi

I just set one up for my buddy and had some issues getting it to recognize. I switched to a different usb cable and had to press the reset button on the kl25z a few times before it recognized.

Try asking over at vpf. Mjr is usually really good about responding to issues over there.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

I tried different cables and 2 different computers.  I would rather lick the end of a 220v power cord than ask at VPF

bord
                  @bord
                  MembervipContributorModerator

Those things are awfully flaky. I’ve fried a few by blinking at them. Might just need to replace it.

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

There is so much info on pinscape boards but we can’t figure out how to use them with windows 10????

what do you use for buttons @bord

bord
                      @bord

I use flipper buttons w/ leaf switches connected to a Pinscape All-in-One. Ordered them from PBR. Any arcade buttons will do but leaf switches are a must. Arcade cherry switches are cheap but don’t have a good feel for pinball.

Badazzwi
                      Participant
                        @badazzwi

I can confirm it works fine with windows 10. My system and my buddy’s. Mjr created pinscape and is only active at vpf.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

Mine works fine but I can’t update firmware With win 10.  I bought it new but I think the date on the board is 2013 or 16.  Think Bord is right. Time for new board

bord
                            @bord

Hang on, I misread your issue. I thought you weren’t able to read the board at all via USB. A new board still requires updating firmware w/ Windows 7 before loading Pinscape. That bit of absurdity hasn’t changed.

Kabs
                            Participant
                              @kabs

is there any benefit to updating the firmware on this if it working the way i believe it should? If it has firmware more than a year old does the new firmware get it to do something better or more accurate than what it already does?

outhere
                                @outhere
                                MemberContributorvipModerator

Hang on, I misread your issue. I thought you weren’t able to read the board at all via USB. A new board still requires updating firmware w/ Windows 7 before loading Pinscape. That bit of absurdity hasn’t changed.

I wonder what this refers to exactly —   http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/swversions.php
                                January 4, 2017
                                Pinscape_Controller_KL25Z_20170104.bin (Firmware)

Updated firmware workaround instructions for Win 8/10
                                ——————————————————————————————————————————————————-
                                I didn’t see nothing about the window 7 thing but I may have missed it
                                Other info – 89. KL25Z Software Setup
                                http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/BuildGuideV2/BuildGuide.php?custom=EU&expver=R3.201602xx&sid=toc

bord
                                  @bord

Pinscape firmware can be updated anytime from any system. No issues there. But a brand new board needs to have a firmware update before you can install Pinscape and that is where there are issues.

From the install guide:

Setting up a new board with Windows 8 or later
                                  Yes, I know how crazy it is that you have to find an old Windows machine to update a brand new KL25Z. Unfortunately, the factory firmware installed on new KL25Z boards was written when Windows 7 was current, and Microsoft made changes in Windows 8 that are incompatible with that old firmware.

Once you complete the upgrade, the KL25Z will work with Windows 8 and later. But it’s a catch-22, because you can’t perform the upgrade that makes it work with Windows 8 or 10 from Windows 8 or 10!

The easiest way to deal with this is to find an old machine running Windows 7 or XP. But if there’s no way you can do that, there are two solutions. Both require some extra work, but they’ll let you do the upgrade with your existing machine.

From there the process is laid out in detail.

Tom
                                  Participant
                                    @armyaviation
                                    MemberContributor

I did the initial from win7.  The nudging works but when I power up my computer, I either need to hit the reset or unplug and Re plug in usb for the kl25z to work.  It flashes green yellow when computer starts and then turns to red…

And when I do try and update the firmware, it doesn’t recognize me plugging it into the programming port, holding reset while plugging in or not.

bord
                                      @bord

Sounds like a bad board.

LynnInDenver
                                      Participant
                                        @lynnindenver

Tom, is your computer keeping the USB powered when off? That can cause serious issues with the KL25Z not responding correctly when you start up, because it’s been kept on the whole time. There should be a BIOS setting to tell the computer the ports should be unpowered when the computer is turned off.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation
                                          MemberContributor

All lights shut off when power goes off so I assume no.

Mark70
                                          Participant
                                            @mark70

@armyaviation Regarding the kl25z recognization on startup.
                                            Did you already try to change the Bios settings for the USB ports? I think I remember that this could solve this issue.
                                            If I remember correctly, legacy USB support should be enabled. (or just try every possible setting).
                                            Maybe it’s worth a try. Good luck!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?