Using TWO seperate VPinMame programmes (for SAM LE Stern)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Phil Docker
    Participant
      @dock

Hi all.

I have my cab working pretty well as it is – and whilst the new SAM release of VPinMAME seems to be a little buggy I do not really want to mess up my existing tables….

SO – is it possible to run TWO separate VPX files, with another install of VPINMAME?  I can do a new program folder within Pinbal X to run games from either EXE when needed but I wondered if you can use two VPinMAME.exe’s on the same computer.

I want to try things out like the LE games (Stern) like AC/DC, Metallica etc when they are released.

Anyone done something like this?

rothbauerw
        @rothbauerw
        ModeratorContributorMembervip

I keep multiple versions of VPINMAME in my VPINMAME directory and call a bat file from pinballx that overwrites vpinmame.dll depending upon which game I’m playing.

Example of the bat file attached.

Run it from the launch before program and pass the parameter “[TABLEFILE]”.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        Phil Docker
        Participant
          @dock

That is interesting ! I will look into that further.  Anyway of sending me a screen shot of your pinball X settings page?

Thanks in advance!

rothbauerw
            @rothbauerw

Capture

Attachments:
            CarnyPriest
            Participant
              @carnypriest

No reason to have more than one VPM installed. Underlying source code for SAM release is identical to official VPM, just adds some cloned rom sets and the SAM driver. SAM code only affects SAM games. Get the latest

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/4236-sambuild/

If you feel it is buggy compared to official VPM (e.g., Medieval Madness on SAM build is buggy and Medieval Madness on official VPM is not) then please report it.

rothbauerw
                @rothbauerw

I currently use the official release for all tables.  I’ve been using the bat file when new games use beta builds so as not to impact every table on my setup.

But, I can understand why some would want to use legacy vpinmame for tables they’ve tested and know are working on older versions.  It can take considerable time to go back through and test all your tables when upgrading to the most recent version.  That’s not for everyone.

CarnyPriest
                Participant
                  @carnypriest

I linked to the stable release for SAM – changes from the official VPM are documented. It’s unnecessary and even undesirable to use older versions as you would be missing out on not just new games/new game code but features that improve the accuracy of the emulation: modulated flasher/GI support for Whitestar, WPC, others; improved DMD scaling, improved sound playback support on a number of systems. Plus external virtual DMD rendering with support beyond 4 shades/full color support. You guys do what you want, though. :unsure:

Phil Docker
                  Participant
                    @dock

@CarnyPriest – I see lots of people commenting on other forums that the latest ‘LE’ stern version on VPinMAME is buggy.  Have read that DOF has some issues.  Thus the reasoning that I want to leave the 200+ tables in my cabinet that work perfectly well as they are, and keep the ‘LE’ games running from another VPinMAME file.

I dont have time really to beta test and report back faults.  I am not a programmer so I feel I am under qualified to do so.

Also a Pin2DMD is in my system so I plan to leave well alone for now.

Al
                    Participant
                      @alandee

I must be lucky, with everything updated .. everything runs a-ok, and in a lot of instances, even better :)

Cheers,

al.

newjersey
                      Participant
                        @newjersey

actually the only one on my cab that’s giving me problems with VpinMame is the Walking Dead LE.
                        if i load it in there is a chance it just hangs. you see the backglass B2S and when it loads the DMD, it just hangs.
                        this happens when i try to load the LE version, or if i try to load the PRO after i played LE, not every time but a lot of times.
                        then i have to reboot the system.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?