VP10 – Is it all its cracked up to be ?

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    HauntFreaks
      @hauntfreaks
      vipContributorMember

itchi… what you do is dont touch your old install at all… nothing, dont touch anything that is already working….

its as easy make a vp10 folder and it structure like this… thats it… then pinballX to make your XML database…. I have every beta table available, all working… and updating VPX builds is just replacing the EXE and sometime overwriting the VBS files… easypeasy

xzotic
      Participant
        @xzotic

VPX is definitely a big step up in the right direction. I especially like that the table view/layback etc controls that can be moved in realtime (aka Future Pinball) and the day/night slider is excellent. These two features alone are worth the price of admission.

Performance requirements are more so higher hardware IS required to get comparable frame rates as VP 9.x/physmod.

What I don’t understand is there were not selections added to the options for VP/B2S/DOF and to hide DMD (i.e.: Controller.hidden=1). I would have thought these would have been easy additions to the options area to prevent people from having to edit scripts when first downloading a table. I see some authors are using a variable on the hidden flag but not all do (and I got mixed results and ended up forcing it off anyway). Just thought it was odd that these two settings didn’t make the menu when they are essential to check on every new table download. In fact it may have been nice to have a ‘Table Options Section’ that allowed table authors to place all table options to cover other things like toy mods etc so scripts didn’t have to be searched through and edited.

Tables look great and play great but I do suspect there are still some surface/ball movement issues still in there somewhere. Occasionally the ball against some surfaces does some strange things (Sticky magnet type movement). Maybe part of early table designs that could be corrected in the future (i.e.: These issues are probably more table/surface design issues than core ball physics issues – however that’s just a guess).

Overall though, very impressed with VPX.

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Well said actually. :)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

TNT2
          Participant
            @tnt2

Just to give you some quick infos why VP10 hasn’t all this shiny Unity/Unreal4 features like in Unit3DP or Pinball Labs:
            changing the render engine is a big thing. Switching the render engine to use Unity/Unreal4 would mean a complete rewriting of the software.
            volumentric lighting can be a performance killer. Don’t compare VP with big blockbuster game titles where you have a big developing team. Those games are faking too but more with special made graphics/textures and 3D scene layout. VP is totaly open in the way how you can build a table and that makes it hard sometimes to just add features like dynamic lighting/shadow casting.
            compatibility in how you can build tables in VP. Sounds a bit strange because we already broke compatibility but the core workflow is still the same. The workflow would change dramatically if we would just change to use dynamic rendering of all table elements because nearly every VPX table would have perfomance issues, even on high end cards ;) To fix those performance drops would mean to use only mesh primitives and combine them as much as possible. But I guess that would offend some authors too much ;)

Interesting.

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?