VPB wiki

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dark
      @dark
      vipMemberContributor

Hey guys just wanted to mention I made a wiki page for the material manager (been meaning to for a while).

https://vpinball.com/wiki/visual-pinball-knowledge-base/material-manager/

I’d like to encourage veteran authors/contributors to consider potential new users and new authors and what type of learning curves they face, is there a wiki you could make that could help them along?

With vpx VR being a relatively new thing, I was thinking it might be a good idea for someone with expertise in that area to start some documentation.

3dcreation

4 users thanked author for this post.
      Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Wow. That is a very comprehensive and great wiki page. Thank you. I browsed through it very quickly and there is so much information there that I’ll have to visit and re-visit it time and time again. Having such information readily available in the wiki is gold ! :heart: :rose:

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Great as always @dark

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

Dark
            @dark
            vipMemberContributor

Wow. That is a very comprehensive and great wiki page. Thank you. I browsed through it very quickly and there is so much information there that I’ll have to visit and re-visit it time and time again. Having such information readily available in the wiki is gold ! :heart: :rose:

Yeah I figured I have a fairly decent understanding of 3D and materials but even I was a bit confused initially on how the material manager works.  When it was first released I asked if Fuzzel could make it more like 3D software in regards to having specular/glossy entirely separate and having reflection as a separate variable as well, but I think it was a case of “it’s already done and working, don’t make life harder for us Dark” kind of moments. :P

I’m hoping when VP makes the leap into fully dynamic 3D it will support 3D maps in a more standard fashion.  Currently we have texture map, normals map and material, but in 3D you can render a number of other maps to help game engines make them look more realistic like Ambient Occlusion maps, displace maps, bump map, reflection map etc.  In 3ds max each basic material has these map options.

Maps

I think a lot of the confusion from the VP material editor is caused from shinniness and glossiness being somewhat linked, one affects the other, where as in most 3D software each is their own separate thing.

3dcreation

robertms
            Participant
              @mophead

Fantastic work Dark, many thanks for putting in the time to do this! Very helpful info indeed :good:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?