VPX in 8k

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Dark.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    WYZE
    Participant
      @wyze

Hello,

VPX table on 8k résolution will exist now or not ?

--

Dark
        @dark
        vipMemberContributor

There is one 10k table lol. (poking fun at another thread)

Kidding aside, I think it will be some time before 4k is the norm let alone 8k, file sizes and performance will skyrocket with the larger texture sizes.  This topic isn’t as simple as just having 8k textures on everything on the table, the reality is many smaller textures will look fine at 4k…and probably 8k depending on the size of the object on the table.  Technically the only image that would need 8k resolution on a 8k display is the play field since it takes up the majority of the display.  There are really only a handful of tables that have scans or redraws that could legitimately claim 8k resolution.

If you have a 8k resolution monitor you could always try and source higher resolution artwork and replace it on existing tables, play field and or plastic swaps etc.  Though I imagine it will be quite taxing on your system.

3dcreation

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

I’ve seen tests of people looking at 8k displays vs 4k and it is really hard to see the difference – it all depends on the manufactured of the display of course. But, I personally think it just is a waste of GPU.

WYZE
          Participant
            @wyze

Thank You to your reply.

--

Tom
            Participant
              @armyaviation
              MemberContributor

Right now I am running 16K and it’s just ok

The Loafer
              Participant
                @theloafer

the size of the screen has a lot to do with how we can perceive if it’s “worth it”. I gather if someone is using a 49″ screen, the likelihood is you might see a bit of a difference but I think 8K really can show it’s strength on 80″ screens and above, so not a good target for a VP pincab.  At least the difference won’t be as big as 1080P was to 4K.

Personally why you authors don’t plan for the future and do 20K is beyond me.  I guess you just like to waste your time and are looking for an excuse to redo your tables every couple of years /s

cyberpez
                Participant
                  @cyberpez

I redrew tmnt at 6075 x 13800…  I don’t know how many K’s that is, but you can definitely tell the difference in the quality of the playfield on the un-resized version and the one I released in the table.  I’d be pretty curious what it looks like on a 8k monitor…  1080p vs 4k is pretty staggering.

sidebyside

The Loafer
                  Participant
                    @theloafer

That is a nice difference.  Yeah, 4K vs 1080p is mind blowing, could never go back.

Dark
                      @dark
                      vipMemberContributor

Resolution is somewhat relative, as I mention in texture size to display size ratio on VP tables.  There’s no point using a high res texture like 2048×2048 on something that is only half an inch on your display from the final POV.  Even in film, like for example Infinity War, the character Thanos has at least 2 versions of the 3D model character, one that has full detail for close ups with all his pours, wrinkles, hairs, etc and another with all those details missing for far shots.  There’s no point in rendering hairs and pours when they won’t be visible, all this will do as dramatically increase render times.

I’ve seen discussion on whether 8k displays are even worth it or are they just redundant,  I tend to think they are somewhat redundant at least for watching movies and the normal stuff you do with a TV.  I haven’t personally tested any 8k displays so I can’t provide any real testimonial however my line of thinking is as follows,  the argument against 8k displays is that human eyes can only see so much detail so when watching a movie from your couch 10ft away from the display I highly doubt you’ll see a visible difference.  With that said however, when you’re standing right in front of the display as you do with playing a virtual pincab the extra resolution MAY improve sharpness of visuals – is it worth the extra cost on performance?  Probably not at this point.

I think already with 4k displays (and appropriate level of detail in all the graphics @4k) that everything would be more than sharp enough.  8k might make the super tiny text on some instruction cards appear sharper, but if the text is already too small that you couldn’t read it clearly if it were printed on a piece of paper you are still going to have a tough time reading it even  on an 8k display and that’s where things start to get redundant.

3dcreation

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?