VPX occasionally ROM fail to start

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Iain
    Participant
      @iain1986

Howdy

Do any other people sometimes have VPX occasionally lock up before the ROM initialises when loading a table? I *think* with SAM tables?

My Setup is..

VPX – 10.3.1 Revision 3132 (32 bit)

PinMame – 2.9 (1.42)

I have a PinDMDv3 and I believe I have the latest DMDExt installed for PFX2 support.

Sometimes, and I think its after varied use, when I load up a VPX table – either via PinballX frontend, when recording using PBXRecorder, or just running a table manually, the playfield will load, the backglass server will load, but the DMD will never display. The ROM never seems to start and the playfield never “starts”. VPX just locks up and eventually dies.

It *looks* like an our of memory issue?

Annoyingly, even rebooting VPX after it dies doesn’t clear the issue, I tend to have to restart the whole machine and then it works fine.

I think i’ve only seen it happen after many plays of different tables (memory leak?). Also it seems to only be heavy tables, maybe only SAM ones (just had it happen on Metallica, think i’ve seen it on Avengers, Mustang and maybe one other).

Anyone else experienced this? I’ve only got 4gb of RAM if thats significant.

Sorry if this is the wrong forums for this…

-Iain

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Yes I’ve had this happen. I thought it was due to my pindmd2 and vpinmame build? It’s not often but does happen

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Iain
        Participant
          @iain1986

Yeah I was wondering if was the pin dmd dll essentially failing, but only because the DMD doesn’t light up and the ROM fails to start…it could easily be a bit of a red herring.

The fact a reboot “fixes” it and that it always seems to take some time for it to happen from my experiences made me just think there was a potential memory leak in VPX or that it wasn’t tidying up after itself cleanly when it closes….I haven’t narrowed it down yet though if its only on SAM tables or not.

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

It happens on Williams tables for me as well but again not a lot. Do you have dof? Mine seems to happen on games that do a dof call as table loads.

for IOS and Android

Iain
            Participant
              @iain1986

No I don’t have full DOF enabled (yet…) but thats not to say there isn’t something trying to trigger anyway. I’ve got board in my cabinet the plunger and buttons are all wired too, with the nudge sensor on it too and it has input/output for LED’s, Knockers, Shakers etc but I’ve not got any wired up yet. Board could still be registering events though for all I know.

I might try over the weekend on the Metallica table I know it happens on, can I just comment out all the DOF calls in the script to stop them firing? Then I could just reload the table again and again and see if it ever goes wrong.

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

Well you can just remove dof configs. But I’m almost leaning towards the dmd.dll honestly

for IOS and Android

Phil Docker
                Participant
                  @dock

What firmware do you have in your pin2dmd?
                  You would be best to put the latest Stern SAM Build beta in (v3) for your vpinmame

Also certain games running colored DMD files need a registry alteration for that game.

Personally I would generally go for 8gb RAM minimum.  Shouldnt cost that much to upgrade.  I do not run the fastest machine in the world (i5) but it runs VPX no problems.

On occasions mine will freeze – maybe once a week – but I am a bit of a stickler for keeping software and firmware updated.  Its a windows PC at the end of the day.

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

I have a pindmd2 not a pin2dmd.  I have  8gb of ram too. Mine locks up usually once a week or so too

for IOS and Android

Iain
                    Participant
                      @iain1986

So, now interestingly (and annoyingly) my Metallica Premium Monsters table almost never works. I just booted up my cabinet and launched it as the first table and the ROM failed to start first time.

I gave it another go but this time had task manager running and interesting, it certainly looks like an Out Of Memory issue (potentially due to a leak?)

The graph shows the memory usage just shooting up to 4gb, then it holds there for while (while the table was frozen) and then when VPX dies it goes back down.

Question is, is this expected or not? I’m certainly going to look to buy more RAM but what confuses me a bit is, the version of VPX I’m running is only 32bit. Is there even a 64 bit version of VPX? Won’t it only ever use 4gb max as its only 32bit?

What would be interesting to see if you guys with 8gb who also sometimes get the ROM failing to initialize and having VPX lock up, if your system is also maxed out at 8gb. If so sounds like an issue with VPX allocated WAY too much RAM than it needs (or the pin dll leaking and taking too much too).

Attachments:
                      randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

It’s video ram. Do you have. 2gb video card or better? You running newest drivers for video card?

********************************************************
                        for IOS and Android

Iain
                        Participant
                          @iain1986

So I have a GTX 770 card in my cabinet, I believe thats a 2gb card. Nvidia system info says that it has 2048 dedicated with 3819 available (1771 shared system memory).

So is this the culprit for me, because I’ve only got 4gb of RAM, a good chunk of it is being used by my gfx card resulting in not enough left for VPX and everything else? So an upgrade to 8gb of RAM would certainly improve it (although you’ve said you’ve seen similar with 8gb…)

I’m currently on driver 378.92, and latest is 385.12 so i’m not that far behind. Updating now though to see if it helps at all. (EDIT – As expected, had no really change or effect)

Iain
                          Participant
                            @iain1986

Ok, so I may have been a bit of an idiot here but I was previously running the 4k version. I’ve just tried the non 4k version and that was loading up fine and the ROM always initialises.

So, i’m thinking any other tables I also get this issue with may also be 4k versions, and if so I just downgrade and install the lower res version. Otherwise upgrading to 8gb RAM might do the trick?

EDIT –  Or maybe lowering the max texture size in the VPX settings?

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

Its not your system ram but your VIDEO ram that is issue. did you see my other post? lowering max texture will help yes but what video card do you have? 2gb? 4gb?

for IOS and Android

Iain
                              Participant
                                @iain1986

Yes, I saw your other post…did you see mine?

“So I have a GTX 770 card in my cabinet, I believe thats a 2gb card. Nvidia system info says that it has 2048 dedicated with 3819 available (1771 shared system memory).”

So its s 2gb card, but its also given 1.5gb of shared memory from my RAM too (if I’m reading the information right).

So if its being given 1.5gb of my system RAM which is only 4gb…then would upgrading to 8 not improve that side of things? The system *is* running out of RAM as shown by my screenshot from earlier. If the GFX card is using up 1.5gb of that, then there’s only 2.5gb left for everything else. Upgrading to 8gb of RAM would be significantly cheaper/easier than upgrading the GFX card.

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

8gb sure is nice for bragging rights no reason not to it’s cheap. But the issue you are having is due to video card or old drivers but I’ve already said that. ;)

for IOS and Android

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus
                                    ContributorMemberModerator

Have you tried playing with the at91jit registry entry ?

xenonph
                                    Participant
                                      @xenonph
                                      MemberContributor

I just got a computer from my friend Steve “Slydog43”, and it only has 4 GB of RAM, and it is 400 times faster than this computer that has 5GB of RAM and a GTX 660 graphics card.

Here is what each system has..

My Windows Vista 64bit

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+  2.70GHz

5GB RAM

GTX 660 graphics card.

My new Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Intel Core i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz  3.30GHz

4GB RAM

GTS 450 video card.

It runs with an average of 380 FPS with many times going over 425 FPS!! (Very FAST and less RAM than my other computer.)(THANK YOU STEVE!!!)

So I would say it more than likely has to do with graphics card and not your RAM.

At least that was my experience when I was blown away at the speed this new computer has!!

Iain
                                      Participant
                                        @iain1986

So I understand the graphics card is old and only 2gb, but why does the graph of my RAM usage clearly go up to 4gb, hit the limit and then VPX dies at that point? How is that not also a problem?

I’ve asked a few times but am I right in thinking if I go to 8gb of RAM there will be more than enough for the 1.5gb shared with the graphics card giving the system that bit more to play with – right now it in theory only has 2.5gb of RAM free because 1.5 is shared with the card no? I said earlier I updated the drivers so its definitely not a driver issue. I get that you keep saying its my graphics card randr but I actually don’t feel like you’re reading *my* replies to things, I’m asking further questions and just being told “I’ve told you, its your graphics card” or asking things I’ve already stated.

@Thalamus
                                        : I’ve not seen anything about the at91jit registry, what are you suggesting to change, do you have a link anywhere with info?

@xenonph
                                        : Yeah I certainly would get better results upgrading the graphics card. I think in your case its the CPU though thats giving you the faster performance. The 450 and the 660 are pretty even in terms of performance I think. Whereas the i3 you have is significantly better than the AMD CPU.

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus
                                          ContributorMemberModerator

About changing at91jit .. you change a value in the registry. It is related to the rom that you find in the tables script – often after cgamename = <romname>

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33262&page=7#entry383332

I have a few tables that requires me to disable this setting in order to not crash like you describe. Might be something else though, but a easy thing to test. Change it. You need to restart VP completely – if it now works, leave it like that … not ? Revert the change and look for another solution.

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

Visual pinball is a 32 bit application as is pinmame and b2s server so it just will not be able to take advantage of the 8gb system ram. But in my cab I do have 8gb anyways as it’s cheap so why not. But I may be wrong here but a 750ti performs better then a 770 I need to look that up but some tables have very large images and the sam vpinmame on top of that can cause issues for sure

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?