VPX Performance tweaks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Delage
    Participant
      @patrickfx

Hello.

I would like to optimize VP10 tables performance.  For my case, everything is perfect except the ball are stuttering a little.  I check some video and physic option but nothing seem to help.  I try to read some discussion but nothing that help too.  I decide to create my own thread.

Question 1 : My main question are there an option that help usually this kind of situation.  A magic :) option that do not compromise much the quality vs performance.

Question 2 : Is there a relation between the FPS and this problem ?  If yes, which FPS should I get to have the ball looking right ?

Things that I try so far

a) Update my graphic card driver

b) Disable every program  on windows 7 that I do not need

c) Reduce detail option on video option.  By the way, this function not look to work.  It change nothing !!!

d) Try multiples tables.  All like this.  Soprano seem to be one with more stuttering

e) I do not try VPX 10.1 so far !!! Could it help ?

My configuration is this

<span style=”color: #505050; font-family: ‘lucida grande’, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14.6667px; line-height: normal; background-color: #eeeff4;”>Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz with 7.9GB running NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Intel(R) HD Graphics Family.</span>Playfield and backglass on GTX and DMD on Intel card.  Like other people, VP9 is 100% working fine.

:bye:

Pinaball, arcade and retro gaming

ICPjuggla
        @icpjuggla
        MembervipModerator

Under video options try adjusting the FPS limiter and max prerendered frames..

start out with:

FPS = 120

Max = 2

see if that helps if not play with the numbers..

1 user thanked author for this post.
        randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Under video options try adjusting the FPS limiter and max prerendered frames.. start out with: FPS = 120 Max = 2 see if that helps if not play with the numbers..

Was going to suggest the same thing. Also i dont have anything set for vp in nvidia panel all defaults.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

Pinball Shawn
          Participant
            @pinballshawn

The 650Ti is a little weak for VPX. You may want try the 10.1 and see if it helps. If not, get a better graphics card like a 660ti or a 770 and run all three monitors through it.

I’ve been holding off on the VPX 10.1 until the actual release, but know I’m running a mega-computer with an 8-core I7 and a 770 and I’ll get a touch of stutter here and there on certain tables, or some page tearing on the right side of the PF on certain tables. I think it’s an issue with VPX 1.0 because other more graphic intensive tables run smooth as glass. Physmod 5 tables are so smooth it’s unreal, and that’s with every option maxed out.

Patrick Delage
            Participant
              @patrickfx

Good, I will try these suggestions.  So, is the FPS a good benchmark to see if a change made a difference.  For Soprano, I got 65 FPS !

Patrick Delage
              Participant
                @patrickfx

When I disable the “Force brute 4x Anti-aliasing”, I got 116 FPS.  Make a good difference !

I also try to update to VPX 10.1 and set FPS = 120 and MAX =2, but I guess because I was to 54 FPS, the 120 doesn’t reach.

Also, I just realize in VP9 I got arround 550 FPS… Is it possible ?

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Here is my settings. No stutter with a 750 2gb card disabling ambient occlusion will help a lot tooimage

for IOS and Android

Attachments:
                  Patrick Delage
                  Participant
                    @patrickfx

Good!  130fps my best.  But 550 fps on vp9, huge difference.  It s seem i’m not then only one with low fps with vpx B-)

RustyCardores
                      @rustycardores
                      MemberModerator

I’ve got my settings to a point that VPX generally runs everything as smooth as… BUT …there are a few tables that come along that give me a little stutter when things get active. So the trick that I use is to increase the LampTimer setting within the table script.

I always start with a setting of 80 and if that doesn’t fix the stutter I will up it some more. Some tables I’m running at 200.

I haven’t noticed any effect on the appearance or play, except for the fact that my balls are now smooth (< leave it alone! :wacko: )

Daryl
                      Participant
                        @allknowing2012

Dont forget the backglass – a couple of simple parameters there can make a big difference. Run in exe mode and up the skip lamps and skip solenoids 2-3-4-5x.

RustyCardores
                          @rustycardores
                          MemberModerator

Dont forget the backglass – a couple of simple parameters there can make a big difference. Run in exe mode and up the skip lamps and skip solenoids 2-3-4-5x.

I would like to try that, but the skip options are greyed out for me. :(

Any suggestions?

Daryl
                          Participant
                            @allknowing2012

I think that means that particuar backglass doesnt have lamps or solenoids – seems unusual to not have lamps though.

Which backglass is it?

To test the backglass performance you can try the table without the backglass enabled at all..

You turn it off in the script or in the controller.txt file depending on how the table was scripted.

RustyCardores
                              @rustycardores
                              MemberModerator

I think that means that particuar backglass doesnt have lamps or solenoids – seems unusual to not have lamps though. Which backglass is it? To test the backglass performance you can try the table without the backglass enabled at all.. You turn it off in the script or in the controller.txt file depending on how the table was scripted.

I honestly cant remember what backglass I looked at. But good idea re turning it off to test. I’ll just turn it off in the script or comment out the controller line

Patrick Delage
                              Participant
                                @patrickfx

Oh!  Yes the backglass lamp and solenoid interval seem to make a little difference, maybe 10FPS more.

Just like that, when I broke my backglass filename to disable it, it still showing the backglass.  For sure, I restart the table.  Where is the temp file ?

Also, is there another way to disable a backglass ?  :wacko:

Note : I get a poor 70 FPS with Demolition man !  and you ?

Thanks in advance

Drybonz
                                Participant
                                  @drybonz

I got a big boost in VPX recently by turning off the AA in-app and turning on through the nvidia control panel.  It really smoothed out the handful of games that still had stutter.  I’m sure it’s YMMV and won’t work for everyone, but it’s worth a try.  It was the thing that made the most difference for me in the final tweaking stages.   :)

topcat
                                  Participant
                                    @topcat

If I enable Ambient Occlusion that  kills my performance! So I leave that off until I can afford a better video card.

AndersE
                                    Participant
                                      @anderse

I am also having a lot of trouble figuring out tweaks.

Example: on on computer (i7-3.5Ghz -8Gb)with an old radeon HD7850 i get 160 fps on cactus canyon vpx, and 120 with ALL on incl 4x antialiasing). T2 chrome vp9.21= 1600 fps.

On my pincab (i5-3.4Ghz -16Gb) with Radeon R7-370 i only get 55 fps, even after a reinstall. I have tried with and without windows composition also. T2 chrome vp9.21= 300fps.

It can’t be the cpu that does the difference?

I am giving up soon.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                      randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

Never been a fan of Radeon cards for gaming.

********************************************************
                                        for IOS and Android

********************************************************

TNT2
                                        Participant
                                          @tnt2

I echo randr. My Nvidia experience has been much better than my ATI experience.

ninuzzu
                                          Participant
                                            @ninuzzu
                                            vipMember

It’s not the CPU, the CPU calculates all the vertex while the GPU does the shading. In modern videogames you also need a powerful cpu, but in VP…..it’s all GPU

Anyway Nvidia Maxwell GPU (introduced with the 7xx series) is the best, great performance , less heat. The same ATI GPU runs at double power ——->more heat—>lots of problems.

I have a 750 Ti and everything runs butter smooth.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?