VPX table design questions

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

Would love to have a section for this!

1.  While creating walls in VPX, if you add a point and then right click it gives you the options to smooth or slingshot, what does that do

2.  Is there a better way to create a thin metal     Vertical Ball guide wall than using a wall and trying to manually put the points as close as possible .  A single wire ramp is easy to build, seems like there should be an option to build a thin metal vertical ramp

3.  Is there a way to make those thin metal vertical walls mirror like. I seem to remember a table that has one at the top that is very reflective but I can’t remember which one it is

***Sliderpoint’s Comet.. uses a flasher with the opposite image. Interesting

Scottacus
      Participant
        @scottacus
        MembervipContributor

Smooth makes a smooth curve around the point and slingshot makes the point sharply angulated like a corner of a square or triangle.

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

Does it default to one if you don’t select it

Scottacus
          Participant
            @scottacus
            MembervipContributor

Not sure about that but if you right click on a node you can select either option at that time to customize the shape to your needs.

bord
              @bord
              MembervipContributorModerator

3. Is there a way to make those thin metal vertical walls mirror like. I seem to remember a table that has one at the top that is very reflective but I can’t remember which one it is

***Sliderpoint’s Comet.. uses a flasher with the opposite image. Interesting

I’ll field this one. No reflections in VP engine, but turning ScreenSpace on can sometimes give you a little something with mixed accuracy. Any visible reflections you see in VP have been pre-rendered in a raytracing program or fudged by doctoring an image in PS (flipped, blurred whatever) and applying it to a wall.

Best practice on this might be to build a game, finish it to 100% – no more changing elements or lights, gameplay fully working – and then find someone that does 3D work to render reflections for you.

BorgDog
              Participant
                @borgdog
                MemberContributorvip

2.  Is there a better way to create a thin metal     Vertical Ball guide wall than using a wall and trying to manually put the points as close as possible .  A single wire ramp is easy to build, seems like there should be an option to build a thin metal vertical ramp

You can use a ramp object, set width as something really small like 2, set upper and lower height to 0 or 5 or 10 or however high you want it off the playfield, set visible wall height at what you need.  if you look really really close on a 4k screen you can see that it is open at the top, but it is definitely a lot easier to create the shapes you want.

Smooth makes a smooth curve around the point and slingshot makes the point sharply angulated like a corner of a square or triangle.

smooth is a toggle on or off and has nothing to do with slingshot.  slingshot marks a section of the wall (seen as bold line) that has a separate _slingshot event with extra force and even a crude animation (I hope no one actually uses this animation anymore), usually only used on actual slingshot objects.

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation
                  MemberContributor

You can use a ramp object, set width as something really small like 2, set upper and lower height to 0 or 5 or 10 or however high you want it off the playfield, set visible wall height at what you need. if you look really really close on a 4k screen you can see that it is open at the top, but it is definitely a lot easier to create the shapes you want.

That worked great.  This is the stuff that needs to be in a developers section.  Thanks BD

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

I was playing around with reverse images on the walls or flashers like in Comet.  Is there a way to make the balls reflect on the walls.

bord
                      @bord

I was playing around with reverse images on the walls or flashers like in Comet. Is there a way to make the balls reflect on the walls.

Only with ScreenSpace or some awfully fancy animation and ball tracking.

Fingers crossed VP11 happens someday.

Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

there is reflection on the pf for the balls isn’t there?

bord
                          @bord

Yes, balls and other elements but only on the PF. Nothing on walls, meshes, ramps etc.

32assassin
                          Participant
                            @32assassin

2. Is there a better way to create a thin metal Vertical Ball guide wall than using a wall and trying to manually put the points as close as possible . A single wire ramp is easy to build, seems like there should be an option to build a thin metal vertical ramp

You can use a ramp object, set width as something really small like 2, set upper and lower height to 0 or 5 or 10 or however high you want it off the playfield, set visible wall height at what you need. if you look really really close on a 4k screen you can see that it is open at the top, but it is definitely a lot easier to create the shapes you want

I did this for most of my VP 10.1  tables.  but any image you apply to the ramp will be first applied to the floor of the ramp and it will then be extended to the walls.

the walls you see will never have a detailed image.  this is why when I rebuild any of my early tables on the latest VP editor.  I always replace the ramps with walls.

their are multiple walls you can use from the example table .  you don’t have to manually add 20-30 points to build a thin wall when you can copy and  past one from the example table.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                            https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

I guesss most of the walls I have done were metal material, never applied an image but that is good info

32, I had a question about the PF primitive you added to HOT Hand for the saucers on the top.  It took on the image of the PF but it distorted it.  Is that supposed to do that?

on the example table I see the pf mesh primitive, what is that

32assassin
                              Participant
                                @32assassin

I’m having issues with how i build my PF primitives,  it needs to be fixed; or a new one needs to be made.

the pf mesh primitive (playfield_mesh) in layer 5?   its the same primitive I added to your WIP,  I  just rebuilt it to match the kicker cut outs on Hot Hand.

bord
                                  @bord

If the image gets distorted it is probably from the UV map getting pulled in different directions when you clean up your mesh. You can remap it by viewing the playfield precisely from top down, then UV/Project From View (bounds)

UV1

In UV view you can rotate the UV 180 degrees if it projects upside down (which it did in the pictured example). Then save as usual and it should map cleanly with the PF image.

uv2

Schreibi34
                                  Participant
                                    @schreibi34

Sometimes it’s also necessary to refill the PF prim with new triangles (Blender –> Select boundary loop –> Face – Fill) after you have cut some holes. Remapping UV doesen’t help in some cases!

32assassin
                                    Participant
                                      @32assassin

I’m also going to check this to me not knowing how the primitive PF works,

I was importing the default primitive  making new holes but I was not updating the UV map.

I figured;  why bother when I’m hiding the primitive.

but it turns out that the primitive is still visible when you hide it

the check for visible, static rendering and reflection enabled is off and the primitive is still visible

Capture

Schreibi34
                                      Participant
                                        @schreibi34

If i remember it right Toxie said that all the options for the prim are not working. The PF prim is handeled like the regular PF. The visible checkbox won’t work. The physics are also taken from the standard PF no matter what you set them in the prim options.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?